• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Man Arrested for Selling Pirated Ghibli DVDs

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kokuryu

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Smuggled? He probably just bought them on eBay and re-sold them... sheesh... It probably just came in the mail...
testorschoice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:25 pm Reply with quote
kokuryu wrote:
Smuggled? He probably just bought them on eBay and re-sold them... sheesh... It probably just came in the mail...

That's still smuggling. In any case, we're talking about 400 DVDs. It stops being cost-efficient to use eBay as a supplier after about the third or fourth DVD....
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:47 pm Reply with quote
I often wondered about this whole thing. I guess even the Japanese are guilty of crap. I remember thinking years ago that the Japanese were a honest lot. They'd never do stuff like make bootlegs. But then I wondered if it's illegal to pirate stuff then why are there Japanese video rental shops? Where they run off copies and copies of shows to rent out as well as sell? I mean, how can they do that? I always wondered about this.

But then again how could we forget that guy who was selling 'DBZ' bootlegs.

They're cracking down.
ichido reichan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Dude, in japan you can be arrested for selling american editions of the anime versions, let alone chinese bootlegs which you can value each dvd for almost 3 bucks, in japan people is willing to pay $40 for a single set since the original is almost 60.00 used.

For simple at it seems, the American versions of anime say LICENSED IN UNITED STATED & CANADA not Japan, is bad business when you sell versions not licensed in your country...

Japan...worst place to pirate anime in the world..... voted Once again
testorschoice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
I often wondered about this whole thing. I guess even the Japanese are guilty of crap. I remember thinking years ago that the Japanese were a honest lot. They'd never do stuff like make bootlegs. But then I wondered if it's illegal to pirate stuff then why are there Japanese video rental shops? Where they run off copies and copies of shows to rent out as well as sell? I mean, how can they do that? I always wondered about this.

Virtually all video rental shops in Japan, including the mom-and-pop outfits, rent legitimate DVDs and video tapes. The industry even used to offer (and still do in some cases) higher-priced videotapes and DVDs for the rental shops and prevent them from renting the cheaper mass-market versions.

You might be thinking of the Japanese video rental shops in various Japantowns in North America. Unlike the shops in Japan, the North American ones sell and rent copied DVDs and video tapes. Those were once unauthorized for years, but even those were put under regulations about ten years ago. (The news of the regulations made the Japanese newspapers back then.) The next time you visit one of those shops in North America, look for the seal from the official Japanese broadcasters' association that authorizes them. Even these North American shops with copied tapes and DVDs have to get official approval.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:15 pm Reply with quote
What is this like the fifth story about Japanese bootleggers. It's good there going after them, prices will never fall with rampant piratism.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
testorschoice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:21 pm Reply with quote
ichido reichan wrote:
Dude, in japan you can be arrested for selling american editions of the anime versions, let alone chinese bootlegs which you can value each dvd for almost 3 bucks, in japan people is willing to pay $40 for a single set since the original is almost 60.00 used.

For simple at it seems, the American versions of anime say LICENSED IN UNITED STATED & CANADA not Japan, is bad business when you sell versions not licensed in your country...

A Japanese distributor might stop shipments to a store if the store also sells licensed American versions of its anime, but the store owners won't get arrested for it. Selling bootlegs is different, and that's an arrestable offense, but all a Japanese distributor can do against a seller of licensed American versions is stop giving that seller licensed Japanese versions (and get other Japanese distributors to blacklist it as well).
Damius

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
What is this like the fifth story about Japanese bootleggers. It's good there going after them, prices will never fall with rampant piratism.

Yeah, the comment I was gonna do is. Is it me or the past days we saw more and more news about it? And that Japanese wnat to download became illegal. And that story with gonzo/funimation...

Is this a begginnig of something??
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1