• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - I Am the NHK

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
icepick314

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:25 pm Reply with quote
what are the blue DVDs/books? between DNAngel and Elemental Gelade?

the figure in front of it looks like it's from Mai Hime...Mashiro Kazahana and Fumi Himeno?

like the display case...looks nice and expensive...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Why? Why did I watch that Yodobashi theme? It's so 80's retro pop that it's stuck in my head. Argh!
larinon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:59 pm Reply with quote
icepick314 wrote:
what are the blue DVDs/books? between DNAngel and Elemental Gelade?

the figure in front of it looks like it's from Mai Hime...Mashiro Kazahana and Fumi Himeno?

like the display case...looks nice and expensive...

The figure is Mashiro & Himeno, I believe, yes. I was also wondering about the smaller books behind the figure, but more than that I am somewhat jealous of the Negima DVD volumes/books in the second picture. They look awesome, somewhat reminiscent of the R.O.D. TV box we have. I guess we have a really good Negima box for R1, but the books fit the series really well. Grr.

I really need to check out Welcome to the NHK at some point. I read the first manga volume and enjoyed it well enough. I'm also glad to see GTO is still being released, hopefully more people will be able to enjoy a great show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
aluria

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Wow that is a lot of Mai-Hime and Mai-Otome figurines. I'm jealous. While I own 103 manga, my DVD collection is quite small, but I own Gargoyles!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Forget the Yodobashi song, now I'm gonna have the My Little Pony theme stuck in my head... along with an urge to go dig my old collection out of the garage. (Not that I will, there's enough out there to fill about 4 trunks. Confused )

And hey, there's pinky street dolls in the 3rd picture! I love pinky street dolls! Very Happy
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:30 pm Reply with quote
I keep telling myself I should go back and give "Welcome to the NHK" another try... when I watched the first episode way back before it was licensed, it resonated too much with my own history of mental illness. So just tell me - does it make fun of the guy or is it sympathetic? Because if it's sympathetic, I'll give it another go.
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:47 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
I keep telling myself I should go back and give "Welcome to the NHK" another try... when I watched the first episode way back before it was licensed, it resonated too much with my own history of mental illness. So just tell me - does it make fun of the guy or is it sympathetic? Because if it's sympathetic, I'll give it another go.
Both. You laugh at him (and everything else) for all the insanity that are both his own fault and not his fault, but you also sympathize with his plight as well as understand where he came from.

Only heartless people would watch the show and say, "hahaha that Saito what an idiot."

It's something of a dark comedy and some of the low points are really harsh (the online game addiction arc anyone?) so if you feel you can't tolerate the resonance to your own past situation you don't need to push yourself. It's an amazing show overall though, very human even if it spends half the time in absurdities.

Special mention: Onizuka is God. Anyone who does not own it does not do justice to God. And hot high school girls. That boxset is as good as mine [and a new Best Buy just opened near my house! The luck!].
Cowboy Cadenza

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:34 pm Reply with quote
DemonEyesLeo wrote:
Why? Why did I watch that Yodobashi theme? It's so 80's retro pop that it's stuck in my head. Argh!

Now imagine being in that store while actually trying to shop for something...actually, I went with some other people who were the ones doing the shopping, and I have to say, if you're in there and just waiting for someone else just so you can get the hell out...and you're hearing that song over and over and over and over....AUGH.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Awesome reviews. I need to pick up NHK and Rumbling Hearts. I'm one of those who own the single GTO discs...im surprised Bamboo didn't say that it looks like a bootleg case- because it does. At least Slayers had a slipcase.

Witchblade....well. I want to see it somewhat. I'm not into online rentals and the few places around campus aren't into anime. So I guess i'll have to buy it.

And the My Little Pony movie rocked. *singing* home is where your heart is...its where you lay your hat...without a home you're nowhere no place to begin!

Cool points: -32
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:57 pm Reply with quote
The Tekkon Kinkreet review pretty much nails the film's problems. Outside the visuals it was a huge letdown, especially since the manga is so incredible. Still, considering Arias was a first timer not a bad job. In all fairness the original is truly a story bound to its medium, especially considering Taiyo Matsumoto's storytelling style is pretty hard to replicate on film. The length hurt it too (the manga used a lot of shorter chapters over 3 volumes to develop the characters). Like you said the core of the story has all the potential for greatness, its just the execution that needs work.

And I really, really need to see NHK. I think I initially mistook it for another masturbatory otaku parody ("Look at how pathetic you are! Now buy our limited-edition figurines"), a sub-genre which I dislike outside of Genshiken. But all these reviews make it sound incredibly enticing, especially with the relative lack of black-comedies/satires in anime.
bci110

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:42 pm Reply with quote
It's been a long time since I posted in a Shelf Life thread, but I will say that I'm looking forward to watching Welcome to the NHK very soon. Bamboo got me into purchasing/enjoying Genshiken, and I heard nothing but good things about NHK, so it should be a program that's right up my alley. Cool
Heretic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:49 pm Reply with quote
I've been on the fence about NHK. I was thinking maybe it would be better to pick up the manga instead. While Rumbling Hearts is one of my favorite romance dramas, for me it is too heavy a story to watch again. I suppose I was just that invested in to it. I'm looking forward to the Haruka's Path OVA though.

Oh and btw, very nice shelves. The way my shelves are set up has DVDs being obscured by more DVDs, so it's not exactly the best showpiece. Once I move in a couple of months, I will buy new shelving that will allow me to show off everything. I may not have the biggest collection, but I'm pretty certain you won't be disappointed. Smile
rayechu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:29 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:

And the My Little Pony movie rocked. *singing* home is where your heart is...its where you lay your hat...without a home you're nowhere no place to begin!

I was always more a fan of the pilot episode.
"Call upon the sea ponies when you're in distress..."
Cetali

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:30 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

I've been suffering from mental illnesses for a long time now, and while I enjoyed NHK greatly, there was one moment late in the manga series that hit me like a fist to the stomach and really hurt. Not the first thing I could relate to from personal experience, but for some reason I couldn't take that particular arc, while the others had entertained me a lot, so much that I was counting the series among my favorites.
Actually, I think I still do consider it a favorite, even though I haven't picked it up again yet to read past that point.

No idea if you would experience something similar, or how you would handle "jokes" that really hit home.
d.yaro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:32 pm Reply with quote
My two bits about "Welcome to the NHK": I'd hazard to say that the anime and galge plot devices are essential but they're also window dressing. We're talking about a story of a young man with a pretty messed up mind trying to come to grips with himself without any "professional help". Pretty well every character in the story is dysfunctional to a certain degree or another. If you're looking for a whimsical and charmed look at anime fandom, you've come to the wrong place.

ps: In my opinion the manga is an even darker telling of the story. It's a short series of only 8 tankoubon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4