• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2nd Japanese TV Station Removes Nymphet from Schedule

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Case

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
As has been proven time and again in the past, arguing with you is a waste of time.

Considering that our positions are diametrically opposed on this issue, and that (as you have observed) this is more or less the only issue I talk about here, I'll wear that distinction with pride.

I think it speaks to the effectiveness of my argumentation. (I don't need you to say "eh I may be wrong." The "happen to think"/"objectively wrong" comment was more than enough! I have in-fact printed that and hung it over my desk!)

Based on the jargon you're using in this thread ("agendas", "talking points"), you're obviously very into politics. How does George Bush respond when he gets hit with a real zinger? The critic "isn't a patriot." I already know I'm not an ANN Patriot, and that's a point of pride rather than the other way around.

So keep dishing out the ad hominem and metaconversation if you want. Tell everyone that I don't understand the world or how to frame an argument. Believe it or not, others can and do decide for themselves.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Case wrote:

Considering that our positions are diametrically opposed on this issue, and that (as you have observed) this is more or less the only issue I talk about here, I'll wear that distinction with pride.

So keep dishing out the ad hominem and metaconversation if you want. Tell everyone that I don't understand the world or how to frame an argument. Believe it or not, others can and do decide for themselves.

At this point though you've stopped responding to any of the points I've made and are just focusing on cherry-picking bits you can easily attack. If you're just going to focus on the comments I made about you specifically then it really is a waste of time. I'm trying to have a discussion here and you're ignoring that completely.

Why did you present Ask John's opinion on the article as some kind of objective trump card when in that very article he admits he's biased toward the genre? Why would you even go to that if you're trying to prove yourself objectively right on the issue?

What about oh everything else I've said that you haven't bothered to respond to?

Quote:

I think it speaks to the effectiveness of my argumentation. Based on the jargon you're using in this thread ("agendas", "talking points"), you're obviously very into politics. How does George Bush respond when he gets hit with a real zinger? The critic "isn't a patriot." I already know I'm not an ANN Patriot, and that's a point of pride rather than the other way around.

What in the world does this have to do with anything? The problem here is that you're not refuting things, you're ignoring everything except personal comments about the effectiveness of your argument and your debate habits. I'll post a bunch of stuff, you'll single out one sentence - the last time you did this, you took it out of context, which I called you on and you ignored - and then only respond to that. I'm at least talking about what you're saying and not ignoring 99 percent of it in favor of whatever single-sentence quote I can use to twist around and feed my own ego.

Your argument isn't "effective" because you're not even arguing the real point anymore, you're just being obnoxious and patting yourself on the back for it. I said arguing with you is a waste of time because you're clearly more interested in this petty crap than actually responding to my points.

Case wrote:

I think it speaks to the effectiveness of my argumentation. (I don't need you to say "eh I may be wrong." The "happen to think"/"objectively wrong" comment was more than enough! I have in-fact printed that and hung it over my desk!)

Call me an idiot (which you have many times and will continue to do so) but I don't get why you're having such a self-righteous little orgasm over that sentence.

Oh, and how's this for an ad hominem: that you're actually so invested in this stupid argument that you printed that out and hung it up over your desk is really pathetic, man. Maybe you need a new hobby.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:49 pm Reply with quote
So are all titles with young girls moe?

CCS is from the late 1990's before moe was thrown around & Sakura & her cousin are like 3rd Grade going on 4th Grade & the title is very much about Sakura.

Azumanga is high school, isn't it?

Kodocha is elementary school.

Hare+Guu--the class seems to be ye olde schoolhouse with all ages in the same class from the younger Hare (9?) & Guu(ok, she's not human & has teens living in her stomach. She's eaten almost everyone on the show, but spat them back out. Yeah crazy stuff)

Dr Slump-Arale is a robot so she's like a couple years old, but she's not in junior high yet, is she?

So John's statement is something akin to saying anyone who doesn't like McDonald's Angusburger just doesn't like hamburgers.

Stupid claim, isn't it?
I prefer Burger King.
And Jack-in-the-Box's Ciabatta burgers are good.

So it sounds as though he is making an incredibly thoughtless comment. Popping over to the other side, could it also mean I can't enjoy Dragonball about a pre-12 yr old boy? Or that I have to enjoy shouta in order to enjoy Dragonball?
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
John does have an agenda. He's routinely commented on his position on this issue and he's on your side, hands down, no question. It was a bit of a scandal a while back when John discussed his hentai collection and mentioned that he had over a gig of lolicon hentai on his hard drive. In fact, John's position on the issue has dominated his image in some circles - he is most definitely known for being into loli. I'm surprised you're not aware of that - at least, you must not be, since you're offering his opinion on this and then taunting me that "no way would he be biased on the subject".

I think you're defining having an agenda too broadly. I mean, I'm sure I could find all kinds of quotes from you and your column arguing against lolicon. You're obviously very against it. So doesn't that mean you have just as much of an agenda as John?

I think you're treating "having an agenda" the same as having opinions. I personally wouldn't really say someone has an agenda unless they come into a discussions with the sole purpose of plugging their way of thinking and convincing other of it. In that way, maybe case does have an agenda. However, theres a difference between that and just stating what you think about this. Is john biased just because he is pro-lolicon? No more biased than yourself who is anti-lolicon. Its not fair to dismiss everyone who defends this stuff as having an agenda unless you also dismiss everyone who condemns it for the same reason. If you just want to say that he's not some perfectly impartial source, fine. However, that hardly means his assessment has no value.

Last edited by ikillchicken on Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Case

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Why did you present Ask John's opinion on the article as some kind of objective trump card when in that very article he admits he's biased toward the genre? Why would you even go to that if you're trying to prove yourself objectively right on the issue?

This was not even close to my objective. Have you forgotten/not bothered to look back at the foundational posting that started the current discussion?

I think this assessment of my motives says a lot about how you yourself approach discussion threads. I'm not trying to "win". I'm trying to get you to acknowledge _somebody's_ non-offended assessment of the issue. You don't accept mine, or anyone else's in the thread it seems, so I thought maybe there was a chance you'd accept it from an industry veteran and studied expert. But to a person for whom pro-life is "objectively wrong", I suppose even that is to be completely ineffectual.

Zac wrote:
Maybe you need a new hobby.

Personally, I think there's much more practical value in refining argumentation techniques and becoming good at that, rather than doing so in a "hobby" like playing video games or collecting stamps. But I won't bother to try to persuade you.

ikillchicken wrote:
However, that hardly means his assessment has no value.

W00t.

Last edited by Case on Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:58 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
So are all titles with young girls moe?

CCS is from the late 1990's before moe was thrown around & Sakura & her cousin are like 3rd Grade going on 4th Grade & the title is very much about Sakura.

Azumanga is high school, isn't it?

Kodocha is elementary school.

Hare+Guu--the class seems to be ye olde schoolhouse with all ages in the same class from the younger Hare (9?) & Guu(ok, she's not human & has teens living in her stomach. She's eaten almost everyone on the show, but spat them back out. Yeah crazy stuff)

Dr Slump-Arale is a robot so she's like a couple years old, but she's not in junior high yet, is she?

No I don't think that is what he was trying to say. He just worded it poorly.

I think he was trying to say people who don't like the Loli/Moe genre will not like things like Kodomo no Jikan. Not everything that is Loli/Moe is automatically sexualized though. In fact I think Moe is not supposed to be sexualized at all. And of course not everything with young girls is automatically Moe.

I think it probably has to do with the target audience. CCS and Kodocha are obviously shoujo not Moe. However Azumanga Daioh might be considered Moe since it is seinen (I am not entirely sure if Azumanga Daioh would be considered Moe. But if it is that is another Moe title I actually enjoy).
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:02 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

I think you're defining having an agenda too broadly. I mean, I'm sure I could find all kinds of quotes from you and your column arguing against lolicon. You're obviously very against it. So doesn't that mean you have just as much of an agenda as John?

But I do have an agenda when it comes to discussing this issue in this forum. My position is very clear and I do come across as a bit of a crusader, because that's how I behave.

Having an agenda doesn't make someone wrong. Being biased against something also does not make them wrong. Am I personally biased against Lolicon? Yes. For very obvious and specific reasons. Am I wrong to be biased against it? No. It is not evil or bad to have a strong opinion and then argue from the position that you are right.

Bias is wrong when you are presenting supposedly neutral content to people (like news, or encyclopedia information) and that bias sneaks in as being legitimate content. That isn't what's happening here. Unless it's my opinion column - which again is my clearly defined personal opinion on something and not at all the opinion or stance of Anime News Network - then my bias stays personal.

Case's continued argument that because I personally have a bias that that means this entire site and all of its contents are also biased is what has to be shown as false, because it is not only patently untrue, it's unfair, bordering on libelous.

My argument on this subject, as has been said time and again and again, does not represent Anime News Network's editorial stance on anything. Were you to ask me what Anime News Network's official editorial stance on Lolicon anime is, I would tell you it is utterly and totally neutral, just like it is on every other subject. I am able to make that distinction because I'm not a total moron who can't separate personal belief from professional attitude.

Quote:
Its not fair to dismiss everyone who defends this stuff as having an agenda unless you also dismiss everyone who condemns it for the same reason. If you just want to say that he's not some perfectly impartial source, fine. However, that hardly means his assessment has no value.

I didn't dismiss it, and I didn't say it had no value. Case was attempting to present a very clearly biased argument from someone who does have a distinct position on the issue as totally objective proof that he's right. His statement "Oh I guess now you're going to tell me John has an agenda!" was a taunting way of telling me that there's no way this guy could be wrong because there's no way he's biased toward my argument.

Had he used it as "here's a clear-headed and well-written way to approach my viewpoint" then that's fine. But he presented it as objective, which it is not.

Case wrote:
But to a person for whom pro-life is "objectively wrong", I suppose even that is to be completely ineffectual.

Do you not believe that any position is ever objectively wrong? Why does me having a strong stance on abortion automatically invalidate everything else I've ever said?
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Steroid wrote:
I've said this before, but I'll keep saying it: anything one person wants, no matter how much damage it would do to others, is a good thing. Is the ONLY good thing. Human whims are the be-all, end-all of existence.

Dude. I know you like to say "I'm an individualist!" and post the most ridiculous, inflammatory statements that seem to fit that mold, but...

Wikipedia wrote:
Individualism is a term used to describe a moral, political, or social outlook that stresses human independence and the importance of individual self-reliance and liberty. Individualists promote the exercise of individual goals and desires. While some individualists are egoists, they usually do not argue that selfishness is inherently good. Others would argue that individualist goals are not selfish so long as they do not harm others, although this is an issue of semantics given that the modern definition of selfish does not contain the word harm. Others still, such as Ayn Rand, argue against "moral relativism" and claim selfishness to be a virtue.

Psychopathy is defined in psychiatry and clinical psychology as a condition characterized by lack of empathy or conscience, and poor impulse control or manipulative behaviors.

Thin line, and I think this statement runs right over it.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Zac:

Okay, sorry if I assumed that you were dismissing his assessment.

I didn't really take what case said as presenting it be some impartial analysis. I just took it to mean as you put it "a clear-headed and well-written way to approach my viewpoint". I assumed that when you disagreed that john did have an agenda that you were saying that that meant the assessment was not at all valid.

I completely agree with you, infact that was sort of my point, that everyone is biased or "has an agenda" if you want to call it that when discussing personal oppinion.

Quote:
I am able to make that distinction because I'm not a total moron who can't separate personal belief from professional attitude.

Just so theres no doubt, I wans't in any way calling you a moron.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:36 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

Just so theres no doubt, I wans't in any way calling you a moron.

I appreciate that but that was really about Case's insistence that my personal opinion on the issue is somehow proof that this entire organization is biased.
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Steroid wrote:
I've said this before, but I'll keep saying it: anything one person wants, no matter how much damage it would do to others, is a good thing. Is the ONLY good thing. Human whims are the be-all, end-all of existence.

Dude. I know you like to say "I'm an individualist!" and post the most ridiculous, inflammatory statements that seem to fit that mold, but...

I think engaging anything out of that self-absorbed mess of sophistry that poster has spun (in this thread) is asking for trouble.

Case wrote:
Quote:
Personally, I think there's much more practical value in refining argumentation techniques and becoming good at that, rather than doing so in a "hobby" like playing video games or collecting stamps. But I won't bother to try to persuade you.

While I'm not convinced your arguing in good faith, I'll treat your posts as such as what I've quoted seems to indicate your trying to craft generally fair, persuasive points. Just as a note, for the bulk of your posts you come across as playing 'bait the other poster', and your actual point beyond playing the 'Black, White, and Grey' shell game is unclear. As I wrote in the thread about fansub/copyright, turning the world into a giant shade of Grey (what is ethics? what are standards? all values are relative) isn't a mark of deep intellect, it's a rhetorical trick to put others on there heels dealing with by nature unanswerable arguments well outside the original scope of contention (I'm surprised Zac played along as long as he has). I write this again because you wrote your trying to hone a effective arguing style, and my advice as a reader is to stay away from slippery post-modern slide plays.

Ryllharu wrote:

Quote:
I suggest you do a lot more research into Kojika before making more remarks like this. In that exact post you quoted, I posted that no one in the series condones her behavior. The teacher repeats your reaction nearly verbatim at parts (depending on how you'd like to translate it). Not the teacher, not her friends, not the other teachers, not her guardian, no one.

Great Caesars Ghost, that's the very textbook definition of 'coy'. If the manga was an extremely serious, realistic look at a disturbed child and the impact her behavior had on others, presented in a non-humorous, non-sexualized way complete with social services and all that jazz you would have a point. The material however, is clearly typical sex-comedy stuff, with the only thing outside the norm is the sex objects (or at least most of them) haven't hit puberty yet.

-In General-

Can anyone here who enjoys the 'Nymphette' style of child-sexualization ( if your going to stand up for it call it what it is, don't label it with flim-flam like 'loli-con') point to any other country on earth besides Japan that produces commercial material in such a light? The mixing of pre-pubescent children and sexuality has been taboo for 99.9% of cultures/recorded history for a reason. And even what we see from Japan is illusionary, a cultural product of a 'see-no-evil' styled approach to emotional/sexual release material from a historically tense society. In other words it's a fringe even in Japan, and the resulting serious youth alienation/sexual/violence issues it's facing today is focusing a big public spotlight on more fringe/deviant libertinism.
Zablac

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Lol what is everyone arguing about? The anime has already been made, and will be shown one way or another eventually. Nothing will change that. End of story.

Wow, whoever said this is a genius! lol
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:55 pm Reply with quote
I think one thing that really gets me about this is that people keep bringing up the "So violence is okay but sex is out?" argument, pointing out a perceived double standard.

Folks, sex is and always will be IN. Nobody has an issue with sexualized characters on TV. Cutie Honey? Kekko Kamen? Fujiko Mine? Emeraldas? They're all total sexpots.

The problem is that there's been a continuing trend away from sexy WOMEN and towards sexy GIRLS. I recall that for a time folks were saying that it was weird so many guys thought Rei Ayanami was sexy, because she was just 15. Then I recall people wondering why there was so much hentai fanart of Ruri and Sasami.

Now I'm overhearing statements like "Dude I'd bang the hell out of Chiyo-chan!" in the convention halls and I can believe that people have started saying that things have gotten out of hand.

And now that series that directly cater to that sentiment are coming out in Japan, instead of just fans fantasizing, Japan is also saying "You know, this is getting out of hand".

It's that simple. The "objects of attraction" in sex comedy anime have been getting progressively younger, and the powers that be have drawn the line.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Steroid wrote:

I've said this before, but I'll keep saying it: anything one person wants, no matter how much damage it would do to others, is a good thing. Is the ONLY good thing. Human whims are the be-all, end-all of existence. We can either admit that and start tolerating one another's opinions, or we can back-and-forth forever:

Wow

Even LeVey in the Satanic Bible says one shouldn't force one's will on others. If you want to sleep with everyone in town, but your partner isn't ok with it, you have to go your separate ways rather than force your will on your partner.
And he also stated child & animals are the embodiment of Satan & thus shouldn't be harmed.

And most people think Satanists are out there.
Steroid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:30 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
Even LeVey in the Satanic Bible says one shouldn't force one's will on others. If you want to sleep with everyone in town, but your partner isn't ok with it, you have to go your separate ways rather than force your will on your partner.
And he also stated child & animals are the embodiment of Satan & thus shouldn't be harmed.

And most people think Satanists are out there.

Forgive me, I keep forgetting that what goes without saying for me is counterintuitive to everyone else. I am NOT speaking of forcing your will on anyone. I do NOT condone any activity to which all parties have not signed on willingly. I HATE force; it is the antithesis of what I stand for, which is will, choice, volition. What I am saying is that the will should not be tempered, blunted, or restricted in any way whatsoever. That which one holds in one's mind, the inner thoughts that show no evidence in reality, should be allowed to travel and expand unfettered, even to places that, in reality, would be disastrous.

jsevakis wrote:

Wikipedia wrote:

Psychopathy is defined in psychiatry and clinical psychology as a condition characterized by lack of empathy or conscience, and poor impulse control or manipulative behaviors.

Manipulative? I seem to be one of the few who does not think either loliconners or anti-loliconners should change their minds. Impulse control? I seem to be one of the few who has such perfect impulse control that he can allow his impulses to run wild. Conscience? I seem to be one of the few whose moral code carries the strictest logic, and does not compromise with the foibles of humanity. Empathy? I seem to be one of the few who wants other people to find the limits of what they can be, rather than drag them down to my level. Perhaps, like Douglas Adams's Sane Man, I should build an asylum for the entire population.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10