• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Videos for Dragon Ball Z Game, Kodomo no Jikan Posted

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ongaku_no_tenshi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:23 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
dormcat wrote:

I think you confused Kodomo no Jikan with a dedicated lolicon manga magazine published by Akaneshinsha.

I'm mistaken, then. I was told that by several sources and then realized I might be misremebering, so I went and did as much research as I have the stomach for and can't find anything to back it up so I was wrong on that one.

Sorry, my bad.

It's cool Zac. Everyone makes mistakes. You're still the cool Lord of the Darkside Editor of ANN, the harbinger of fear. Just as long as you keep that force grip strong.

Zac wrote:
Of all the things that are creepy about Kodomo no Jikan, that backpack is probably the least of them.

I mean, one of the volumes came with a pair of children's panties, for christ's sake. At least get outraged over something like that.

I agree with this statement because I totally forgot about that incident until you and Dormcat refreshed my memory of that news headline. That was way worse than this. But still, at the same time, I can't possibly see the japanese public letting this fly without and kind of backlash. Be it a little, or a lot. But, at the same time, I could, very well, be wrong in that assumption. Who knows? Only time will tell.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Say, does anyone know if a post of mine was deleted from this thread? I remember writing a reply to this post:

ichido reichan wrote:
ready for your disturbing pedophile next door!!!

hey kid...do you want a candy?
but I don't see it on here.

Also, considering that the backpack is just like Rin's, now I really wish I could get one. I love it when a company makes a replica of something from an anime/manga/video game. Especially when it actually looks right.

I've seen artwork in videogames (and I mean that literally, as in the fictional paintings and sculpture in games) that make most modern stuff look like crap.

Quote:
Sorry, my bad.
Those who are man enough to admit they've made an error should always be forgiven. Though you might want to double-check yourself more often on things related to loli since you're passionate on the subject. It's best to always be able to stand firm with one's statements in a debate rather than backpedal due to a factual error. (Makes it harder for people to score points against you.)
panties

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:06 pm Reply with quote
It would be a good idea to go back and edit your post to say something like "Sorry, I was wrong. I was thinking of a different manga," even though it was corrected just a few posts later, Zac. You have a lot of power in influencing how people think and feel (probably more than you realize) and legions of frothing-at-the-mouth fanboys/girls who look up to you as a god of the Internet (or the "Lord of the Darkside Editor of ANN, the harbinger of fear." Rolling Eyes ) Even though you did admit your mistake in a later post, people that are just skimming through the thread who only read your earlier post will be likely to propagate that rumor as the truth because "the Answerman said it was true, and the Answerman must have all the answers." Wink
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:35 pm Reply with quote
panties wrote:
"the Answerman said it was true, and the Answerman must have all the answers." Wink

The people tell me that this attitude exists somewhere are always ragin' against me, but I've never ever heard anyone say that my word is gospel, ever. Nor do I have legions of loyal followers who march across the earth at my word.

I'm flattered I guess but I'm not that influential. Most of what I see written about me on the internet is about how I'm an awful retarded censorship nazi because of my stance on loli.
Ongaku_no_tenshi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
I'm flattered I guess but I'm not that influential. Most of what I see written about me on the internet is about how I'm an awful retarded censorship nazi because of my stance on loli.

Well, I would say these people are idiots for damning you, or anyone, for taking a firm stance in your opinions/beliefs and simply stating something that they don't agree with. These types of people make it nearly impossible to have a civilize debate over pretty much anything because of their mindset. They always take every single opinion or comment to heart and feel they are being persecuted when someone doesn't agree with their views and/or think like they think. In my opinion, this mindset is, more often than not, fueled by selfishness as well. Especially on this issue, simply because, I think, they refuse to see how the material in question could potentially ruin the anime and manga indutry for everyone (especially here in the U.S). Again, it's nearly impossible to have a civilized debate with narrow minded people. Just give them a good a good force grip choke via their internet connections. That might put so sense into their heads. Then again, maybe not. (As you can't already tell, I think your new avatar is cool).

And also, while I am not a fanboy, or a part of the "legions of frothing-at-the-mouth fanboys/girls who look up to you as a god of the Internet", as panties stated, I do respect you as a professional journalist and I look forward to your next column. Just wanted to add that in. Take care everyone.
panties

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:30 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
The people tell me that this attitude exists somewhere are always ragin' against me, but I've never ever heard anyone say that my word is gospel, ever. Nor do I have legions of loyal followers who march across the earth at my word.

But you do. In the first couple of columns where you explained to what loli is and your personal opinion of it, many people in the talkback thread for them said they had never even heard of it before your columns, but since you explained what it is to them they decided to also think it's a bad thing. And honestly, even though I kind of have a reputation around here for being a lolicon pervert, I had a similar reaction when I read them myself. However, after reading them, I actively sought out lolicon material to see if it really was that bad, and decided for myself that I actually liked it. No joke; I'm not lying to try to prove a point. If you were able to persuade me it was immoral, even if only for a brief moment, there are definitely other people out there who were similarly influenced.

Quote:

The frothing-at-the-mouth fanboy thing was a bit of an exaggeration, but you really do have many fans and supporters that respond to your every post to back you up, praise you, and tell you how awesome you are. In fact, there are people doing exactly that right now in this very thread. They always chime in on how cute your kitten/puppy/kangaroo tree thingy is in every Answerman column, feel sorry for you that you have to put up with flames and the ridiculous flakes of the week, and tell you how cool your newest avatar is. You should give yourself more credit; people really do look up to you.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:06 am Reply with quote
All this talk about backpacks and panties reminds me of something NSFW. Now that is something to scrub from your browser's history. Have some perspective: like Zac said, there's nothing untoward about a themed DVD box.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:13 am Reply with quote
panties wrote:
If you were able to persuade me it was immoral, even if only for a brief moment, there are definitely other people out there who were similarly influenced.

Well, this is a complicated thing to react to but to be frank with you, I'm sorry that you felt so mislead or betrayed by me but I've never held myself up as some anime Moses where you should follow me to the promised land of righteous opinion. All I've ever done is said what I thought on the matter. I happen to be in the position where that's part of my job, and I've worked very hard to get here.

I'm getting the impression from you that you think it's wrong for me to ever say what I actually feel, in case someone like you might disagree eventually and decide I was wrong. That's very... well, silly. If someone decides down the road that I was wrong on something, that's fine. That's their right. Again, I am not nor have I ever claimed I am always right on everything and that people should never disagree.

Quote:

The frothing-at-the-mouth fanboy thing was a bit of an exaggeration, but you really do have many fans and supporters that respond to your every post to back you up, praise you, and tell you how awesome you are. In fact, there are people doing exactly that right now in this very thread. They always chime in on how cute your kitten/puppy/kangaroo tree thingy is in every Answerman column, feel sorry for you that you have to put up with flames and the ridiculous flakes of the week, and tell you how cool your newest avatar is. You should give yourself more credit; people really do look up to you.

I'm loathe to give myself "more credit" but I do genuinely appreciate the people who like what I do and enjoy my writing.
The Human Spider

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:53 am Reply with quote
Case wrote:

Is that style of backpack really considered some kind of lolicon symbol? If so I think I finally get what I first thought was Kohei's overreaction to Hazuki wearing one of those backpacks. If I remember correctly, in the manga he seemed more bothered by the backpack than the cat ears. Art needs one of those too Twisted Evil
I think it's a cool DVD package and I wouldn't mind having it as long as "I'm Chris Hanson from Dateline NBC" doesn't show up to bust me Crying or Very sad
Richard J.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:49 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
I'm loathe to give myself "more credit" but I do genuinely appreciate the people who like what I do and enjoy my writing.
Hey, we appreciate the work you do so you should be a little more uppity about it. Wink Much as I sometimes disagree with you, your style is good, your writing tone conversational and reasonably friendly, and occasionally you can crack a joke that brings a smile to my face.

This might sound odd, but I'd wager many of your detractors are also regular readers who enjoy much of your columns, with the exception of your opinions. (Which you should voice, just with proper examples if you're going to use them.)

Heck, occasionally you even make me wonder about my own views.
panties

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:03 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
I'm getting the impression from you that you think it's wrong for me to ever say what I actually feel, in case someone like you might disagree eventually and decide I was wrong. That's very... well, silly. If someone decides down the road that I was wrong on something, that's fine. That's their right. Again, I am not nor have I ever claimed I am always right on everything and that people should never disagree.

I'm not saying that at all, I just wish you were a little bit more neutral sometimes on super hot-button issues, and you do recently seem to be getting better at doing that whenever the subject of loli comes up in Hey Answerman. Even if you don't think of yourself as an "anime Moses," a lot of your readers are easily influenced young teenagers (such as myself, I suppose), and you have to admit there wasn't nearly as a big of an anti-loli backlash until after you published those columns. Similarly, no one really cared about (or knew about) Otakukin and guro before they appeared in Hey Answerman.

...Then again, it's hard to be funny while being as neutral as humanly possible. I like reading Ask John and I've learned a lot about anime from it, but I have to say his writings aren't nearly as fun to read as yours.

Richard J. wrote:
This might sound odd, but I'd wager many of your detractors are also regular readers who enjoy much of your columns, with the exception of your opinions.

Probably. That sounds like a pretty accurate description of what I do.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3