• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shinichi Watanabe's Thoughts on Anime Piracy.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ashere65

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Active Anime has six video clips up of Shinichi Watanabe answering fan questions and talking about fansubs and how it affects him personally.

[EDIT: Please do not type your title in all caps. Thanks. Also fixed your URL into a link. -TK]
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:10 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't be surprised if he says something similar to this:
A 2004 Interview with ADV's David Williams wrote:
Being that fansubbing is a way of advertising shows to the American public, how do you think this will affect the sales of DVDs?

Well, you can look at it that way but for example, I was at Anime Central recently and Shinichi Watanabe, the director for Excel Saga, was there. He was asked the fansub question by some of the fans there, who said, "How do you feel about it" Are you honored by this, that they're making fansubs in English?� His answer to that was, "If you are distributing the fansubs and not going out and buying the DVD's then basically, you're making it so I can't feed my wife and children." So you can say that it builds popularity but at the same time it also takes away from sales so it's kind of a tricky area. I can't tell you to do it and I also can't tell you not to. The only thing I can do is what we've done in the past, ask people, that if you're fansubbing the title and we announce it, take it down. That's all we ask, anything other than that is your business.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Interesting thoughts he has so far, "Thank you to the fans who enjoy my works even without paying for it..."

On a side note, the translator is really good...
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:17 am Reply with quote
Man, that question about "How do you feel about people downloading your shows and not paying for them?" was obviously a plant, either that or it was asked by some VA/industry member in the audience. Which wouldn't be surprising; the second time I saw Greg's panel, I think virtually every industry guest (except one) was in attendance. Greg's said that when he first did the panel in 2004, he had to beg people to come, but now the crowds are room-filling, standing-romm only. Unfortunately, it seemed like the younger, less "responsible" attendees were whopping it up at cosplay or whatever in the next room.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:20 am Reply with quote
As long as he answers the question honestly I don't have any issue as to why it was asked. It could have been a plant, but considering it's one of the most controversial topics in the industry I don't think they'd need to plant the question to have it asked. Regardless it's a good discussion and it's good to hear how those who it most effects feel about it, it is all too easy for those who download to forget about the human side of it all that is present here.

Definite props to the translator as well, he did a terrific job.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:49 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if he says something similar to this:
A 2004 Interview with ADV's David Williams wrote:
Being that fansubbing is a way of advertising shows to the American public, how do you think this will affect the sales of DVDs?

Well, you can look at it that way but for example, I was at Anime Central recently and Shinichi Watanabe, the director for Excel Saga, was there. He was asked the fansub question by some of the fans there, who said, "How do you feel about it" Are you honored by this, that they're making fansubs in English?� His answer to that was, "If you are distributing the fansubs and not going out and buying the DVD's then basically, you're making it so I can't feed my wife and children." So you can say that it builds popularity but at the same time it also takes away from sales so it's kind of a tricky area. I can't tell you to do it and I also can't tell you not to. The only thing I can do is what we've done in the past, ask people, that if you're fansubbing the title and we announce it, take it down. That's all we ask, anything other than that is your business.

Edit: reread- shouldn't post at 3:30a.m.
Announce it? Such as- an american distrubutor picks it up?

I want to go to one of these pannels- because all I want to know is: does buying merchandise outside of the dvds count for anything?
Say Nermia Dikon bros season 2 doesn't get picked up. Can I buy some of the scrolls or plushies to count for my watching the show?

Also...can't seem to watch the video some type of error.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:52 am Reply with quote
If it's anything like the US it does, because the likeness and logos and all that are licensed for the rights to make the merchandise the same as the show itself is licensed to make the DVDs. It's likely that the profit margin is a lot lower, and sadly bootlegging is almost a bigger problem in merchandising than it is in DVDs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1