• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Seattle Theater Screens 5cm Per Second

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:25 am Reply with quote
aw i want this! ooh they got matranga to play someone im so happy.
I wish I was able to see this in the cinema. Ill pick this up when it comes out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
d.yaro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:14 am Reply with quote
Here's hoping they don't slap superfluous translations of signs on the big screen like they do with their DVD releases... Mind you, I'm not holding my breath on this point. Oh well, I'm too busy to be bothered to make the trip to Seattle for this one. With any luck it'll make to a few other theatres on the continent.
Arcwave

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:46 am Reply with quote
Oooo... This is right in my neighborhood. Goody! Maybe I'll go see this. And HOPEFULLY the new Eva film will get shown here, too. That'd be a real treat. Cool

EDIT :: I'm seeing this tomorrow. Wish me luck!

/j
aluria

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:30 am Reply with quote
Love to see it but I don't want to drive 2 1/2 hours. That and the border is terrible to get into the US with the high Canadian dollar. Guess I'm waiting for the DVD release.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Wow! This is great. Thank you, thank you for mentioning it here. The Grand Illusion is such a hole in the wall place that I never would have seen that they are playing it otherwise.

I'm going to go see this today! Anime hyper
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:47 pm Reply with quote
SWEET!

I'd been putting off seeing this, since I'd been busy with school and all... but if it's being screened in a theater only like 7 blocks from my house... how can I say no?!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Arcwave

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:43 pm Reply with quote
6:00PM showing guys! I'll be wearing my UW sweatshirt. Cheers!

/j
irishninja

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Arcwave wrote:
6:00PM showing guys! I'll be wearing my UW sweatshirt. Cheers!

/j

*considers wearing his WSU shirt to the showing*

Laughing
Arcwave

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Wow. That was a good film. The visuals were phenomenal. Sad story, too. I'll probably see it again before the 11th.

Were any of you in the screening @ 6? I was in the front with the party of 3.

It's not everyday that we get to see an anime in a American theater, especially with subtitles. It was a memorable experience indeed.

2 Thumbs Up for "5 Centimeters Per Second"!

/j
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:10 am Reply with quote
d.yaro wrote:
Here's hoping they don't slap superfluous translations of signs on the big screen like they do with their DVD releases...

They did not translate any background signs at all. They didn't even do subtitles for some of the background dialogue like they usually do, putting them at the top of the screen while the main conversation is subtitled at the bottom. It was very clean with nothing to get in the way of the beautiful animation.

Arcwave wrote:
Were any of you in the screening @ 6? I was in the front with the party of 3.

Hey! That was you? I was sitting behind you and just across the aisle. I came in to buy my ticket right after you did. I wish I had realized there was a fellow ANN person there. I would have at least said hello.

I also loved this. I think it is my favorite out of all the Shinkai works I have seen, except maybe She and Her Cat but that is so short that it's hard to compare it to a feature length work. I did appreciate that the cat they stopped to talk to in part one had a friend named Mimi, the same as the Cat in She and Her Cat. I need to see 5cm Per Second again, since with Voices and Place Promised I found myself getting more out of them with repeated viewings. As expected, it is very beautiful to watch and I'm so glad I got to see it on a (sort of) big screen. The Grand Illusion is such a fun little theater. It only has like 70 seats and one of them is a couch in the back row. The ceilings are really low, kind of like a normal room, so it heightens the feeling that you are in a small space. I guess when they refer to an "art house" film, this is the kind of small, eclectic art house theater they are talking about.

If you live in the Seattle area and can possibly make it to the University District to see this I highly recommend that you do. If you like Shinkai's style of animation with amazing, colorful backgrounds and expressive character animation then you will not be disappointed with the extra effort of making the trip to the theater.
Arcwave

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:39 am Reply with quote
@ ManOfRush

Haha! Yeah, I would've said hello, too. I knew someone had to be in that screening from ANN. Cool beans.

That was my first time at the Illusion. It's very comfortable, and I really liked the cafe next door- it had great coffee! (typical Seattle)

I actually might see it again tomorrow, or Monday. Although I don't know if I should go by myself or with a friend. It's hard to find someone in my group who will actually sit down and watch an anime, especially a romance, and take it seriously.

All in all, great film. I am still astounded by the visuals and music. It played out all so well.

/j
otakujohn

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Man I love Seattle. Surprised
otakujohn

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Arcwave wrote:
It's hard to find someone in my group who will actually sit down and watch an anime, especially a romance, and take it seriously.

That's a shame. There are plenty of fans like me out there that can watch a romance anime or any other kind of anime for that matter and take it seriously. We're just far outnumbered by loud, Ritalin-popping Naruto fans. Laughing
Arcwave

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:57 pm Reply with quote
otakujohn wrote:
We're just far outnumbered by loud, Ritalin-popping Naruto fans. Laughing

Hah! That's for sure. Did you ever see the movie? I may go again at 6PM tonight.

/j
devast8tor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:35 am Reply with quote
Hey Arcwave,

It was nice meeting you at today's 6 PM showing, I finally created an account just to say hello. For those that are considering going - do it! Shinkai's visuals are among my favorites. He uses vivid colors and really focuses on little details that add a strong sense of realism. I already own Shinkai's other works, but this is a must see for those of you who have never heard of him.

*adds to must buy list*
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2