• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Preview Screening

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gundam Junkie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:46 am Reply with quote
So so so, fellow Gundam fans... looks like there is great promise to this new boy.

Of course it's just the first episode and we have no idea whether the rest of the series will follow suit, but hah, the future of Gundam seems bright... Hi-Def bright!

As I suspected, this series seems to have Gundam Wing leanings.
Fine by me.
I liked Wing and still like Wing, mainly because it was my first introduction to Gundam. Very Happy

Opinions welcome!
minakichan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:48 am Reply with quote
Hmm, I didn't know Mamo-chan was playing the lead... maybe I'll have to watch 00 now. I wasn't planning to, but eh, it's Gundam, always a good time, right?
Rawler

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:55 pm Reply with quote
They seem to have all the ingredients to a good gundam series. I hope the art direction will be a lot darker than in seed. Also, it would be great if they conveyed some of the same themes as Wing, while still maintaining unique value. Looking for something a little different in a gundam series...
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm still playing it safe, no overt reactions until I see at least three or four episodes of it.

I do get the Gundam Wing vibe from what trailers and pictures I've seen, though. I hope it doesn't take out the metal bat of pseudo-philosophy and knock us over the head with it like Gundam Wing did. At least, like Gundam Wing, and unlike SEED or SEED Destiny, the mecha designs are such that you can tell the difference between each unique unit. I'm not a huge fan of the character design, but that too is a step up from the CE era.

I wonder how long it'll take before Bandai Entertaiment licenses it for R1 release.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:26 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I wonder how long it'll take before Bandai Entertaiment licenses it for R1 release.

A better question is if they will be the ones to get the license.
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Doesn't Bandai own Sunrise and is the primary licensee of the Gundam franchise? There's no question that they will end up releasing it.
Pitargo Nats

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:47 pm Reply with quote
I can't wait until it comes out here, but in the meantime couldn't Bandai USA release some of the other Gundam series that haven't come out here. I recently started watching SEED again from the begining, but I really want a new series to watch.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Raven Shinobi wrote:
Pepperidge wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Doesn't Bandai own Sunrise and is the primary licensee of the Gundam franchise? There's no question that they will end up releasing it.

But will it be Bandai Entertainment, who'd release respectable and very affordable release, or Bandai Visual, who'd cheat us out of $50 for two-episode discs of varying, questionable quality?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
SarcasticPirate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Well, from what I've seen Gundam 00 looks like a mix between Gundam Wing and Gundam SEED. I was really hoping that the show would be a lot more realistic (more of the "real robot" genre that Gundam has slowly been slipping away from in resent years)

So far it looks like the candy colored SEED visuals slightly toned down, SEED's plot armor mechs, and Wing's storyline and characters (but with SEED's character designs, if that makes sense).

I can't really judge the plot right now and won't, especially after getting my hopes up for Destiny after how bad SEED was (remember how crappy Destiny was after the first eleven episodes?).
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Pitargo Nats wrote:
I can't wait until it comes out here, but in the meantime couldn't Bandai USA release some of the other Gundam series that haven't come out here. I recently started watching SEED again from the begining, but I really want a new series to watch.

Heaven knows I'll be looking forward to this one coming to the states, but I definitely agree, I'd love to have stuff like Turn-A or Gundam X come over here as well. Maybe even to a more unlikely degree V or ZZ. I'm wondering if SEED's lack of success over here has sort of put a dent in the licensing of more Gundam series lately.......
cloud1989

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:50 pm Reply with quote
any idea how many episodes it will be, since its high def would that mean more in production cost and fewer episodes.
KirbyHead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Don't Gundam series usually run from 40-50 episodes? Or something like that, I'm not too sure. I always kind of wish for shorter shows, because the quality tends to be better and the plot less drawn out. But, by all means, if they can keep it up for an extended period of time, then I'm all for it.

I kind despised the characters from Gundam Seed, and so I was never able to get into it. Let's hope this new series doesn't, you know, suck.

And, yeah, I kind of miss the "real robot" approach. I mean, magical psychic technopath powers are cool and all, but they felt just a little out of place in Seed. Just a little.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:28 pm Reply with quote
KirbyHead wrote:
And, yeah, I kind of miss the "real robot" approach. I mean, magical psychic technopath powers are cool and all, but they felt just a little out of place in Seed. Just a little.

Not well-versed in Gundam, are you?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Saphiro01

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:16 pm Reply with quote
I have seen episode one. (You can burn me at the stake in assumption on how I accomplished that as you wish)

This series has promise just so long as it doesn't get to Strike 3 for me.

Strike One: ABSURDLY unrealisticly fanservicy Bishounens. So far the only way to tell a character is female in this show is if it has boobs! (And anyone who's seen Yu Yu Hakusho knows even that in anime isn't 100% Anime hyper). Is my viewpoint immature? No I'm just an oldschool Gundam fan. Am I going to have fangirls scratching out my eyes? THIS IS GUNDAM people! War drama! NOT GIRLY ANIME! Watch the original movies at least, and for the love of all things well rounded anime don't stop at AU only like Wing.

All I can say is it's a good thing Toru Furuya is only narrating. I couldn't handle him getting the pretty boy treatment too (Yes I'm aware of Yamucha and Mamoru Chiba aka Tuxedo Mask. Yamucha wasn't girly, he just wore his hair long).

Strike Two happens the first inkling I get of a Shounen Ai relationship. I am reserving strike 3 for an unknown mess up in the future of unbelievable proportions (hopefully that wont happen).

*needs to go remind himself guys can actually look like guys in anime again*
kyraensui

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:19 pm Reply with quote
I was at the Mizushima's panel at AX so I was surprise that he's directing it. He was very funny too. I saw the 1st episode and it has potential. I do believe Miyano was cast well for the lead role. I'll continue to watch it to the end as always for the Gundam series.

Umm... There was one or two Gundam series that are less than 30 episodes.. I'm too sure, I have to check on it.

Saphiro01 wrote:

Strike Two happens the first inkling I get of a Shounen Ai relationship. I am reserving strike 3 for an unknown mess up in the future of unbelievable proportions (hopefully that wont happen).

Really? I'm not feeling it at all since I'm a yaoi fangirl.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3