• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jyūshin Enbu - Hero Tales.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Jyūshin Enbu - Hero Tales

So, I just watched the first episode and I thought it was pretty good. It's a bit strange seeing characters that look oh so similar to characters from Fullmetal Alchemist, but that's to be expected. Besides, I've always liked like Arakawa's character designs anyway, so I don't mind at all really. Still, don't go calling Hero Tales "the next Fullmetal Alchemist" just yet. Its got its work cut out for it if it wants to reach that level, and based upon the first episode, it probably won't succeed.

The first episode definitely doesn't have the impact level of the first episode of FMA, and it doesn't help that it was a mostly predictable episode and the concept is far from original, but still it was all presented in a manner that managed to pique my interest. Well, perhaps that isn't true. Maybe it's because the original manga is in fact from the creator of FMA (which I absolutely love, both manga and anime), so I really want to like this series, despite none of the FMA anime production staff being involved this time around? Anyway, in spite of all that, what stuck out to me the most in this episode is Laila. She's just so adorable! Not only in her design, but in how she acts as well. Anime smile I'm also interested in seeing more of that other nice looking lady in the pink-colored outfit that you see in both the OP and ED and at 5:12.

As far as the production values go, the animation looks good, but it hasn't shown me anything particularly special just yet. The art looks nice, thanks to Arakawa's designs, and the BGM isn't bad. While not overly remarkable, I do like the OP and I find it neat to see that it's sung entirely in English and in very good English at that, which is much more than I can say for so many other OPs ands EDs (that's right, I'm looking at you, Black Lagoon). The animation sequence is put together in a way that goes along pretty well with the song, so I think I'll be watching the OP a lot (which is something I don't normally do). The ED when I watch the first episode, and I didn't find anything to say about it, other than the fact that it's pretty generic. I don't normally watch EDs anyway (save for the first episode usually), so it's no big deal.

All that being said, I'm not hooked or anything, but maybe things will eventually move away from being relatively easy to predict, so I'll keep watching.

Okay, okay. It's really because I want to see more of Laila and the "mystery lady." Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, pretty much your typical shounen fare here, nothing really all that special. But still very entertaining. I'm definitely going to work on following this one closely, mostly due to the fact that this is really only the first episode, but also because I really love a good shounen series, no matter how typical, generic or cliche it may be.

Even then though, I really love the whole idea of a series like this being centered around a sort of oriental culture with sort of an oriental-styled fantasy/mythology-like story. It's just good fun fantasy adventure-type stuff, definitely a very appealing thing to me. Cool I usually typically find series like this though to be sort of a fun break for an author from something as complex and thoughtful as FMA with just a buch of fun and adventure, kind of like how Busou Renkin was for Nobuhiro Watsuki after Rurouni Kenshin, so it's all fun and good. Wink

I definitely agree though JG, Laila is definitely very adorable. Anime smile
Jedi General

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:08 pm Reply with quote
I figured you'd say something like that, BroEly. Wink

I have a good feeling I'll like Hero Tales when it's all said and done. You're right, the first episode was definitely entertaining, and it has the potential to get better. It just won't win any awards for originality at this point.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Westlo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:53 am Reply with quote
I just finished watching the first episode and it was enjoyable enough, hopefully they can keep the rest of the series animated as well as the first episode. Will probably follow this series unless it goes downhill really quickly at some stage, need my shounen fix!
Westlo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:28 am Reply with quote
2nd episode finally got released, though I think I'll wait until the 15th of next month to get it since I'm quickly approaching my download cap. With the slow release of subs it's looking like this will be to Fall 07 what Kekkaishi was to Fall 06.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Sorry about not posting here. I'd forgotten about this topic. Embarassed I've watched all 5 episodes that have been released so far (A different group has been releasing the episodes as of late). The series is still nothing particularly special but yet it retains its enjoyable status. My favorite episode so far has been episode 4. I loved how Hyōsei has become completely smitten with Laila/Raira. Hilarious! I can't wait for episode 6.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:48 pm Reply with quote
I know, I should be posting here more often as well, but the darn releases are just so slow it's agonizing! Mad

That and there isn't really all that much to talk about in regards to this series. Definitely still an enjoyable one I'm still following, but there's just not a whole lot going on. All I can really say is about what I'd say everytime so far, that this series is still the type of shounen/adventure series is the type I really love to watch, even if there are far better ones out there. Although I have to say, I'm kind of really wanting to see how much better Arikawa's manga version is, especially considering this series is more so based off of only 1 volume of material.

Haven't seen episode 5 yet, but I've got it right on my computer here if I can just get around to watching it.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:57 pm Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:
That and there isn't really all that much to talk about in regards to this series. Definitely still an enjoyable one I'm still following, but there's just not a whole lot going on. All I can really say is about what I'd say everytime so far, that this series is still the type of shounen/adventure series is the type I really love to watch, even if there are far better ones out there. Although I have to say, I'm kind of really wanting to see how much better Arikawa's manga version is, especially considering this series is more so based off of only 1 volume of material.

Yeah, not too much is happening right now, but hopefully things will pick up sooner or later.

I'm also interesting in seeing what the manga is like. I've heard that the anime is taking a much darker tone than the manga and it was diverged quite a bit (which was inevitable anyway).
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
I'm also interesting in seeing what the manga is like. I've heard that the anime is taking a much darker tone than the manga and it was diverged quite a bit (which was inevitable anyway).

Hmmmm. I wonder at what point it diverges? Unless the whole thing is different but the basic part of the story is at least in tact anyways. It'll be taking a darker tone though? I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens, but that definitely sounds promising. I love dark! Cool

Well, I finally got around to episode 5, it was actually one of the funnier episodes! Laughing I just loved spoiler[Taito pouting over his poor little rice ball! Laughing ]
Jedi General

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:15 am Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:
Hmmmm. I wonder at what point it diverges? Unless the whole thing is different but the basic part of the story is at least in tact anyways. It'll be taking a darker tone though? I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens, but that definitely sounds promising. I love dark! Cool

Well, I finally got around to episode 5, it was actually one of the funnier episodes! Laughing I just loved spoiler[Taito pouting over his poor little rice ball! Laughing ]

I believe it diverges a bit in episode 1. I stumbled across some forum posts that said that (I think it might have been on the Suki forums, but I'm not sure) and someone there also mentioned the "darker tone" thing. The first episode was pretty dark, so it makes sense.

Oh and yes, spoiler[Taito pouting over his ruined treat] was quite funny indeed. Although I felt that spoiler[Hyōsei getting all upset over "hugging a guy" when he attempted to "cry on Laila's chest"] was much funnier, but that's just me.
Elt-

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:29 pm Reply with quote
i dont think this series is really that good Razz but since the same creator of FMA is doing this its still worth watching ^^ i hope it gets better.
and the thing i hate most of all is Taitos hair! whats up with that! seriously! its completely straight and it has a puff in front! its so annoying, it disturbs me when i watch the show Razz i hope he will get a hair cut Razz
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
I believe it diverges a bit in episode 1. I stumbled across some forum posts that said that (I think it might have been on the Suki forums, but I'm not sure) and someone there also mentioned the "darker tone" thing. The first episode was pretty dark, so it makes sense.

Wow, episode 1 huh? Shocked That must mean that Arikawa has only done like, 2 or 3 chapters or something. That's just not right to make an anime series when it's that early on! I don't know, maybe they'll do an OVA or something once it is complete. *shrugs*

But yeah, that definitely makes sense, with episode 1 being that dark and all. Although it's been much more lighthearted since then. Smile

Quote:
Oh and yes, spoiler[Taito pouting over his ruined treat] was quite funny indeed. Although I felt that spoiler[Hyōsei getting all upset over "hugging a guy" when he attempted to "cry on Laila's chest"] was much funnier, but that's just me.

Hahaha! Laughing That was indeed hilarious! In fact, that whole thing has been pretty funny, as much as it reminds me too much of Inuyasha however......
Jedi General

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Elt- wrote:
i don't think this series is really that good Razz but since the same creator of FMA is doing this its still worth watching ^^ i hope it gets better.

My thoughts exactly. It's really nothing special right now, but it still manages to entertain, and it's from the creator of FMA. That alone is enough to keep me watching (besides Laila, of course). I too hope that it gets better, but right now it is enough to satisfy me. Smile

BrothersElric wrote:
Jedi General wrote:

Wow, episode 1 huh? Shocked That must mean that Arikawa has only done like, 2 or 3 chapters or something. That's just not right to make an anime series when it's that early on! I don't know, maybe they'll do an OVA or something once it is complete. *shrugs*

But yeah, that definitely makes sense, with episode 1 being that dark and all. Although it's been much more lighthearted since then. Smile

Well, I think she's probably done more than that, but making it darker was probably what those folks considered the diverges. *shrugs*

You're right though, it has been quite a bit lighter in tone ever since.

BrothersElric wrote:
Hahaha! Laughing That was indeed hilarious! In fact, that whole thing has been pretty funny, as much as it reminds me too much of Inuyasha however......

As yes, you're right. It does remind one of InuYasha, doesn't it? Still, it's hilarious indeed.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
Well, I think she's probably done more than that, but making it darker was probably what those folks considered the diverges. *shrugs*

Hmmm, that might mean then that it really diverges at about episode 2 or 3 or so. I don't know, maybe I should just wait to read the manga if I want to figure that out.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:20 pm Reply with quote
The group subbing HT seems to be bringing episodes out a bit faster now. They're up to episode 9, and I've since caught up. The series remains to be nothing particularly special (since a lot of the series has been very predictable and has also felt a lot like filler), but the entertainment value is still there. It's sense of humor continues to be really great, while still continuing to be a rather dark shonen tale. It's quickly turning into one of my favorites from 2007, so I'm certainly going to keep watching.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2