• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: G4techTV Canada to Run Requiem, Black Lagoon Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Well I wonder if they got Second Barrage. It's good if they did since it has already been confirmed that Ocean will in fact dub the entire show. At least someone will be able to see it. Crying or Very sad

As far as language and stuff, they aired Tokko in the States which dropped the F-bomb all the time, edited. However they didn't cut any scenes they just had a TV dub for it. And anytime there were nipples they just used one of those blur patches instead of cuts.

edit:
Requiem is also one of my favorites. It has a bunch of graphic "stuff" in it as well. Regardless of how it's run though I recommend any of you Canadian's to watch it if you have not already seen it.

Last edited by Dargonxtc on Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Toshirodragon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Geneon's released all of Black Lagoon (12 episodes on 3 discs), however, Black Lagoon: The Second Barrage's first volume was supposed to release after the date in which Geneon ceased production so it's going to be a long time until it's released if at all given the companies' issues that it needs to work out.

Ahhh I see, I was not aware that all of the first season had been released.. of course that STILL leaves fans hanging. *Kicks Geneon*
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
hikaru004

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:44 pm Reply with quote
I think that it's a positive sign if they can still put titles on TV. That means that they haven't lost those particular licenses yet imo.
james039

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Alucalb wrote:
I'm excited about Black Lagoon because I 'd love to hear how the dub sounds. I'm also interested in Requiem, but the first Nana movie comes on Omni2 at the same time and I wanna watch that, too... hoo boy. Wish I had a Tivo or something (or at least a working VCR)... Confused

If you don't mind staying up late, Requiem will repeat at 12am (ET) allowing you to catch Nana at 8pm without needing to juggle between two channels.
Alucalb

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Whew, almost forgot they do repeats.

Kruszer wrote:
Yet more reasons to move to Canada.

Unless the Canadian dub is different from the US version.

Everyone says "eh" at a lot and all the beer is replaced with maple syrup. Razz
HeeroYuy135

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:12 am Reply with quote
I think Black Lagoon still has a good shot of airing on US television, but I don't want it to be airing on G4 in the US...

If anything, Spike TV, yes them, will somehow pick it up and air it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mr. Anobe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:52 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Pepperidge wrote:
Kruszer wrote:
or your broadcast standards are more lax than ours

They are. Black Lagoon will probably run uncut.

Well, if G4 Canada allows the F-bomb or the C-bomb on regular air waves then it'll air fine but it would get heavily bleeped out here in the US due to the frequent extensive and sometimes rather imaginitive cursing.

Definitely they will...they did have let the f-bomb out on one of the episodes from Tenjho Tenge without any bleeping. Plus they'd showed some nudity here and there (eg. R.O.D the TV), and other graphic stuff on other shows from the block. Except at one episode of GunXSword when there was a so-called "on-and-off-sex scene" between two characters, can't say who or what episode just to avoid any spoilers...but they've grown to learn from that mistake, even if they've provided a detailed content disclaimer. Smile
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:21 am Reply with quote
Speaking of the cursing this is one (of many) good points in the dub's favor. The Japanese version has them swearing in English but it sounds kind of awkward and out of place sometimes (as Japanese using English offen does). It truely takes somebody who's mastered the English language or at the very least has it as their primary to properly curse in it. Black Lagoon has it down to a fine art in my opinion, right words at the proper situations, and never really felt out of place, out of character for anyone, or unnecessary. Smile
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:49 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised how little praise I heard for G4's Ninja Warrior. It's narrated by Dave Wittenberg, famed and loved anime VA, and it takes a serious approach the competitions, not the crap "funny" dubovers of Most Extreme Elimination on SpikeTV. Good old Dave Wittenberg.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
naruto fan 09812

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:31 am Reply with quote
It's didn't surprise me they wouldn't release it's in the U.S. They are too busy showing shows like Code monkeys. My god that's is the worst show I have ever seen. And this coming from a guy who have seen most of AS crap.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:30 pm Reply with quote
I should probably point out that Black Lagoon aired with an 18+ rating and all of the dialogue was uncensored.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:37 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
I think that it's a positive sign if they can still put titles on TV. That means that they haven't lost those particular licenses yet imo.

It gets frustrating when a series gets released on television without even a real release date for the DVD since I almost always wait for the DVD release. My biggest wait right now is for Blood+ to be released on DVD, since I still have not seen a single episode of this series. I think Sony has this one, so I hope an eventual Blu-ray release. There is a chance that Black Lagoon 14-26 will be aired since I've heard that they are still dubbing episodes and it would not be unprecedented for them to be released without a DVD release date. Wasn't this also the case with One Piece?

I also really like Requiem. The expressionistic style and neat color pallet are unique. Soultaker is the only thing I can think of right now that resembles it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2