• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Naruto Voice Actress to Appear at Naruto/Star Trek Convention

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nekobako

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:54 pm Reply with quote
naruto fan 09812 wrote:
I haven't seen anyone under 30 who is a fan of Star Trek. And I doubt that anyone who is a Naruto fan is everwhere near that age bracket. This is like putting water and oil together. The two things obviously don't mix.

I'm a fan of Star Trek (and I have seen almost every existing episode) and I'm currently 13 years old. So there you have it.

And while they don't mix, I have a feeling that it's there so that both the parents and the children have something to enjoy, and that fans of both series will find what they have in common as fans, rather than what the series' have in common.

And btw, Naruto isn't a fad, as it's been airing for a good 5 years and counting and still has as strong a fanbase as when it started. The combined definition of fad from a number of dictionaries is a short lived fashion, usually not lasting for more than a year. And it's been there for 5. And DBZ also isn't a fad as it also still has a very large fanbase.
nekobako

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:00 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
Quote:
But aren't Star Trek fans generally quite a bit older than Naruto fans...?

My exact thoughts as well. A Star Trek/Anime crossover wouldn't necessarily be a bad idea, but specifically Naruto doesn't sound too good. I was a huge Naruto fan when I was 13 or 14, but I outgrew it. I have a feeling a lot of people are like me in that area. Star Trek fans might have been a bit younger in the old days, but they're all grown up and older now and I haven't really heard of any of the younger generation getting into it.

Actually, considering the psychotic nature of Star Trek fans and the stupidity of Naruto fans... Shocked Somehow this idea is starting to sound dangerous Anime hyper

I'm not stupid Anime cry And mom's not psychotic.

And both of my parents like Naruto btw. And I like Star Trek, as I have mentioned.

Come on, does EVERYBODY have to shoot this down? I'd like to hear from somebody who's not just going to come around and hate on this idea.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, this sounds like an incredibly stupid idea because it's simultaneously catering to two vastly different demographics. The primary audience for Naruto are hyperactive young teens (13-15 range) and squealing yaoi fangirls, while the primary audience for Star Trek are decidedly more reserved adults in their 30s or older. There's very little middle ground, and there's virtually nothing in the way of actual crossover appeal to really justify a convention like this. After going to both a sci-fi convention and an anime convention within the same month and seeing how each different fanbase behaves and the sort of interests they typically have outside of just Star Trek or Naruto, I can't see how this would ever be anything more than an uncomfortable mix of oil & water.

Like others have said, a Star Trek/anime crossover convention might be interesting, but it would need to be an anime and fanbase that the Star Trek crowd would be comfortable being around and would find something in common with. Ghost in the Shell or some other staple classic sci-fi anime, for example. Star Trek/Leiji Matsumoto, or something like that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
WindAlchemistJen

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:58 pm Reply with quote
An even crazier idea would be a Star Wars/Star Trek crossover con. That's something I would attend and watch the chaos(I like both, but I like Star Wars a little more). Laughing

But seriously, I agree that something like Gundam, Evangelion or some other sci-fi anime would've been a better choice than unleashing a bunch of Narutards on unsuspecting Trekkies if the aim is to get Star Trek fans into anime.
aluria

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:

Something like this could be of great benefit to anime fandom. Star Trek is pretty much second only to Star Wars in the size and fanaticism of it's fans, so if you could get more of those fans into anime as well, think of the benefits.

Star Trek > Star Wars

While I'm a big Trekkie, I hate Naruto and definitely don't see this working. It's an interesting idea to say the least. Vcon caters to both Sci-fi/Fantasy and Anime but not to a specific anime so it works fine. This type of collaboration would crossover much better if the shows were related better.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cain Highwind

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:19 pm Reply with quote
This IS quite a strange mashup, but then so was Kingdom Hearts when it was first announced. I'd actually be interested in seeing a Naruto cosplayer in a Starfleet uniform or vice versa. And if there were some interesting "crossover events". I'm not really into Naruto but am a big fan of ST (note: I grew up watching the ST movies and ST:TNG, and I'm only 23 now).

A better idea I'm surprised no one's mentioned yet is One Piece/PotC, or just Pirates in general. There are pirate conventions out there, and while there are several fans of OP and PotC, I think Funimation could benefit getting the word out to some of those POTC/Pirate fanatics about the show.
Naru2099

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Cain Highwind wrote:
This IS quite a strange mashup, but then so was Kingdom Hearts when it was first announced. I'd actually be interested in seeing a Naruto cosplayer in a Starfleet uniform or vice versa. And if there were some interesting "crossover events". I'm not really into Naruto but am a big fan of ST (note: I grew up watching the ST movies and ST:TNG, and I'm only 23 now).

A better idea I'm surprised no one's mentioned yet is One Piece/PotC, or just Pirates in general. There are pirate conventions out there, and while there are several fans of OP and PotC, I think Funimation could benefit getting the word out to some of those POTC/Pirate fanatics about the show.

Arg! You stole my idea! Since I live about 2 hours away from Fort Lauderdale, I was thinking about having a pirate invasion to this convention.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:08 pm Reply with quote
WindAlchemistJen wrote:
An even crazier idea would be a Star Wars/Star Trek crossover con. That's something I would attend and watch the chaos(I like both, but I like Star Wars a little more). Laughing

This is nothing new, though. Pretty much every major sci-fi con out there ultimately is majority Star Trek and Star Wars-related. It'd basically be like going to DragonCon with slightly less of a comics and fantasy presence.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
The Xenos

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:29 pm Reply with quote
The age gap is confusing. I'd say most Trekkies are 30 and older. I'm mid 20s though, on the younger end of the spectrum. Let's not forget Star Trek the Next Generation. I got into TOS a bit, but was always more about TNG. I don't know if DS9 or Voyager pulled in as much new blood. Meanwhile, most Naruto fans are under 25 and more so under 20.

I concur that Gundam would have been a much much better match up for Star Trek. Certainly Harry Potter would have been a better match up for Naruto.

Still, such an odd mix is indeed. As Spock would say, Fascinating.
Aiko Yamada

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:48 pm Reply with quote
naruto fan 09812 wrote:
I haven't seen anyone under 30 who is a fan of Star Trek. And I doubt that anyone who is a Naruto fan is everwhere near that age bracket. This is like putting water and oil together. The two things obviously don't mix.

Um, I'm 19 and adore Trek. Thanks.

I just got home from a Halloween costume party where I was a classic Trek newguy that dies by the end of the episode and a couple of my friends just so happened to be Narutards. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and the mock fighting that occurred between us and other fandoms.

This cross-con may work if people would be optimistic about it instead of immediately shooting down the idea because it sounds so farfetched. Sometimes weird and completely different things go ever so well together. I plan on attending (if I can get the funds saved up). Though I'm not sure which fandom I'll cosplay from since I've done things from both fandoms....Star Trek? Naruto? NaruTrek? Staruto?

Ah! It's in March! Right after my birthday! Yay! Con money! xD
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
G. Zeus

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:20 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how much LSD the organizers had to take in order to come up with this idea. I could just imagine it now: shuriken-wielding cosplayers challenging Vulcan, Ferengi, and Borg alike.

Seriously though, I wouldn't go as far as calling it a mixing of oil and water but there are better combinations out there. It's just somewhat odd that they settled for this one.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Well, It might be reasonably successful simply from the fact that Naruto and Star Trek are both obviously quite popular and therefore will both attract a decent audience. I don't really see it gather any more of an audience than the combined total if they just held the naruto one seperate from the star trek one.

I love the idea of bringing the Anime/Manga fanbase, and the various American fandoms together. I think people often tend to fall into one or the other, which ofcourse leads them moreso to continue deeper and deeper into that area. There is likely alot of stuff people would enjoy in the other area as well if they were introduced to it.

However, the execution of that idea here seems pretty poor. They've basically decided to do that by taking one of the most popular fandoms from both areas and lumping them together. They've obviously give no thought to wether they are at all compatible or have any crossover appeal. I'll second all the people saying a Sci-Fi crossover convention might work. Also, I think a much broader approach might work. All of Anime plus lots of areas of North American fandom.
ferrarimanf355

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Naruto fans and Trekkies in the same building? I sense a disaster on so many levels...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
miji

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm in my 30s and love Naruto to pieces. It's just good old fashioned fun, imo.

And Kirshi has totally the right idea. This is a great way to get parents and their kids to go to something together and have a complete blast and learn about each others hobbies. Not that the hobbies are totally isolated to specific age groups, as evidence in this thread.

Anyway, most of the Trekkies I know are in their 20s, and I also know quite a few people my age who like Naruto. Naruto is like Harry Potter, in the way that it is meant for kids but fun for all ages.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:19 am Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
I don't know if DS9 or Voyager pulled in as much new blood.

I would say DS9 did, but Voyager was just catering to the already established fanbase.

As far as this goes I would like to see some of the more imagitive and talented cosplayers and what kind of crossover roles they might take on.

Hinata in a Kirk's love-interest genie outfit Question
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5