• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sketchbook ~full colour'S.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hentai4me

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:28 am Reply with quote
Sketchbook ~full color'S

Finally!

This show is what moe/cute for the sake of it anime should be. Not sexualised, not the whole plot but a stylistic element to enhance the story. I have watched the first episode and loved it. Maybe it's not all that realistic but it fits into a picture of the idyllic artists life; as far as I am concerned. It is filled with cute characters and good use of deformation, two essential features for such a series for me.

The best thing about this series is that it almost seems like it has absolutely no point to it, no message beyond those you fashion for yourself, no intrusive plotting or pointlessly dramatic events...the most dramatic this ep gets is when a cat walks over Sora's sketchbook!

I came away from the first episode with a warm fuzzy feeling and a silly grin, that is what a moe/cute show should do. As much as I like drama, romance and all that having a show to give you a fuzzy feeling is great, Haibane Renmei does it (early on anyway) and until recently Doujin Work (though sexualised, that was largely neither here nor there) and Hidamari Sketch (deformation to the max).

In a season filled with 'dramatic' harem/romances (Clannad, Myself; Yourself, ef - Tale of memories, KimiKiss) this is a breath of warm, welcome air...somehow as much as these series have tried so far to create a moe character none of them have really done it successfully.

This show is proof that moe can stand on its own without the need for lolicon tendencies being included, shows like Kodomo no Jikan are giving moe a bad name and thus get the attention, shows like this making moe good are almost entirely ignored, as were Hidamari Sketch and Doujin Work.

[EDIT: Added the Encyc. entry and tweaked the spelling of the title. -TK]
jetz

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:51 am Reply with quote
I watched the first episode last week, and it reminded me of Azumanga Daioh.

You're right. It doesn't have a lot of sex potential in it, YET Laughing Did you notice a subtle hint of shoujo-ai there?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hentai4me

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:16 am Reply with quote
What, the girl drawing Sora? Hardly subtle.

Nothing else in the ep really supported it, infact it almost seemed more likely that Sora and that boy in the art class would become something. I don't mind if it does try to create something out of it, as long as it is nice and fluffy then whatever.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1