• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2007 Anime Season Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nidO

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Don't ou dare forget about Sayonara zetsubou sensei! it is better then the majority of shows listed (also dragonaut is missing).
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Sayonara Zetsubuou Sensei was last season and isn't airing at all this season.

As for Dragonaut, they can only review so many shows and that one wasn't one of them.
Steel Angel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

I'm not surprised, my top picks are generally always left out of reviews and what not. Kaiji and Shion no Oh were completely left out too. I am on the other hand surprised to see night wizard and Renta Magica left out, they're on my stupid fun list.

Not like it matters though, everyone questioning why this show or that show didn't make it should be prepared to be told that they can write about everything.

I rarely see top picks reviewed. I suppose the hard part is trying to give enough information on a series based on just an episode or two. While there are plenty out there that get the premise and intent of the show from the first episode, there are also plenty good ones that build up to having the type of story people want to see for their sub-types.

Guess I'm just the odd one out, for me, I wait until a show has a clear beginning and end. Sometimes this can take quite some time for the seasons to get released, but generally I'd rather have a full story then just a piece of the pie and have to re-watch it later.

Give me the whole enchilada, is the way I like Anime. You'll find some lemons by how i watch em, but you find some great ones as well.

At any rate, I can see the reviewers being a bit skeptical about any releases, and it's as their disclaimer says, it may not be fully correct, but for what they have it beats having no information at all on the upcoming series.
narutoismybrother

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Armageddon wrote:
narutoismybrother wrote:
Considering how I'm watching every anime that's coming out this season and that has already came out, besides Gundam 00 (not a huge Gundam fan even if it's in HD), Shion no Ou (shougi or however you spell it, not really in to that much), and Rental Magica (just didn't like it), I must say that this season is filled with more magical, sisterly, shojo-esque, dating-sim anime ever to fill a season. Having multiple boy meets girl/girl meets boy and fall in love anime, it is increasingly hard to keep track of what characters belong to what anime. All I'm saying is that I just wish there was more shonen appealing anime and distinct unique characters, that weren't so freakin generic, this season. As much as I love shojo and "omg I'm in love" anime, too much of it is overkill.

Why are you watching them all then? I believe there is much other things you can be doing instead Razz

Yeah I know right? lol! That's just how I am. I'm the kind of person who just watches every anime. I just see how if someone wants to discuss a certain anime and you haven't seen it, the conversation will become one sided, with the occasional "mhm...mhm... right right." from the other side, and quite boring. Unless I really just can't take it anymore than I'll decide to personally drop some anime off my watch list. But like Lambo always says "Perseverance!" or maybe that's just "Must stay calm!" mistranslated. Rolling Eyes
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:56 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
I will say it's disappointing that the article didn't cover Moyashimon, as it's one of the quirkiest and most promising comedy anime that I've seen in a while. The micro-organisms are cute as a button, too.

Totally. This is by far my favorite show of the season, perhaps the year if it manages to keep up the manic energy of the first ep.

Most of the rest of this season has left me cold, though I haven't watched Suteki Tantei Labyrinth or Kaiji yet.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:58 pm Reply with quote
babbo wrote:
Meh people always say that. I can still remember people whining over how the spring was gonna be crap and now you can't walk an inch with tripping over a gurren laggen fan.

True, but most of this is just rehashing the same appeal and core stories over and over again. I was excited for the spring and it delivered. Ditto for summer. Not anywhere as much here.

With this fall season, it seems to be just like last year's: the same tropes with some really atypical stories (Kemonozume for last year, Ghost Hound for this one) and some usual but still solid works (Le Chevalier D'Eon, then Moyashimon).
Key

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:03 pm Reply with quote
For those asking about titles not reviewed, keep in mind that, even with four people working on the previews, we just didn't have time to do everything. Also, initial fansubs for some shows may have come out too late to be considered. We did endeavor to make sure the "key" titles were covered (and no, that isn't actually intended as a pun), but beyond that we just did what we could by our deadline.

I must admit, I also thought the new season looked rather bland when I first saw the offerings, and after reading the parts of the guide I didn't write, my mind hasn't been changed on that. There are a couple of bright spots: Genshiken 2 certainly looks promising, and as I've stated in another thread, episode 2 of Blue Drop has convinced me that it will be one of the season's stand-outs. There's nothing else this season that even remotely resembles it so far.

Which brings me to Kodomo no Jikan, a series that I, as a male teacher myself, can't let pass without some kind of comment. The censoring issue that Bamboo harped on (and this is the most heavily-censored show I've ever seen in fansubs) didn't bother me anywhere near as much as the actual content. This is actually an extremely well-made series, with good artistry, animation, structuring, and writing, which makes it a great shame that it is also so utterly wrong. Walking in on undressing elementary school girls less than two minutes into the first episode? The language? The panty-flashing as a "reward"? The blackmail attempt? And that finger-sucking scene will live on in anime infamy. What could have been a serious look at premature sexualization of girls is instead looking like the most pedophile-pandering production I've ever seen. It is the first fansub I've ever immediately deleted from my hard drive after watching it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
babbo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:04 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
babbo wrote:
Meh people always say that. I can still remember people whining over how the spring was gonna be crap and now you can't walk an inch with tripping over a gurren laggen fan.

True, but most of this is just rehashing the same appeal and core stories over and over again. I was excited for the spring and it delivered. Ditto for summer. Not anywhere as much here.

With this fall season, it seems to be just like last year's: the same tropes with some really atypical stories (Kemonozume for last year, Ghost Hound for this one) and some usual but still solid works (Le Chevalier D'Eon, then Moyashimon).

dunno if it's fair to compare any season to last fall though. There were a lot of obvious big names in there.

On another note I actually am totally surprised to not see Jyushin Enbu: Hero Tales not listed there what with it being based off something from the mangaka who did FMA. Then again the subs did come out last monday so maybe that was a little to late.

Additionally the person who wrote on Genshiken seems to be unaware of the Genshiken OVAs that were released with kujiubiki unbalance (sp?) the so called new characters were introduced in them. Either way this seems to be pretty much a reproduction of the manga, people could always pick that up instead (even the english release is well past the second anime season and it's a great short (9 volumes methinks?)manga).

The thought of Majin Tantei Nōgami Neuro having solid storytelling made me laugh though. Seriously, doping soup I ask you? Let's be a bit more realistic here >.<;;

Last edited by babbo on Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:32 pm; edited 3 times in total
phoenixphire24

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Majin Tantei Nōgami Neuro is the only one that sounds interesting to me. No Moe or high school drama/romance for me.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Well since it wasn't mentioned in the preview I am going to third the recommendation for Moyashimon. It certainly had the most creative premise of the fall shows.

I also really liked what I saw of Ghost Hound. Although I think it is going to be one of those love it or hate it shows based on the reactions I saw to the first episode.
Steel Angel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The panty-flashing as a "reward"? The blackmail attempt? And that finger-sucking scene will live on in anime infamy. What could have been a serious look at premature sexualization of girls is instead looking like the most pedophile-pandering production I've ever seen. It is the first fansub I've ever immediately deleted from my hard drive after watching it.

The only reason I will not become a person who does reviews, is because those of you who do, have to endure such things as the above quote. While there are plenty of good shows and stories, the old saying it takes just one bad apple to ruin them all lends true here.
I won't even start on how this type of thing damages the image of both the industry and the people who enjoy watching Anime.

*Edit*
Also, it's a wonder you could even stomach something that bad, basically forced to watch it. There's always been Anime and other genres that have questionable content, but when you get something that just breaks the mold such as this, one can only stand in stark awe and in utter amazement of how people can reach new lows beyond the bottom of the barrel.

Always someone willing to make a buck it seems. (Clarification: not the reviewer, but the people making the content).

Last edited by Steel Angel on Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
It is the first fansub I've ever immediately deleted from my hard drive after watching it.
When my friend and I reviewed this we felt the exact same way. I have to admit one good point. The animation was awesome, but wasted on this maybe.
Vortextk

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Amazing how similar so many of these are.

Genshiken 2 is definitely on my list. A few others look interesting but as usual, I'll wait for them to finish before I bother watching.

One question I had, while I love seeing a quick preview/review of each new show, is there any other website(or something else on ANN) that lists literally EVERYTHING coming out? I don't really care about information, even just names would get me what I needed.
nkaze

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Genshiken is probably the only truly funny show this season, although Goushuushou-sama has its moments. If you like romance and drama, there's lots of shows for you, but for comedy fans like me, things are looking pretty tame.
babbo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Vortextk wrote:
Amazing how similar so many of these are.

Genshiken 2 is definitely on my list. A few others look interesting but as usual, I'll wait for them to finish before I bother watching.

One question I had, while I love seeing a quick preview/review of each new show, is there any other website(or something else on ANN) that lists literally EVERYTHING coming out? I don't really care about information, even just names would get me what I needed.

a quick google pulled this up:

http://www.animeph.com/anime-season-list-fall-2007.html

generally most of the blogs do a list too. Think wikipedia generally has one too methinks. Just google "fall 2007 anime season".

jsevakis wrote:
HellKorn wrote:
I will say it's disappointing that the article didn't cover Moyashimon, as it's one of the quirkiest and most promising comedy anime that I've seen in a while. The micro-organisms are cute as a button, too.

Totally. This is by far my favorite show of the season, perhaps the year if it manages to keep up the manic energy of the first ep.

Most of the rest of this season has left me cold, though I haven't watched Suteki Tantei Labyrinth or Kaiji yet.

Do check it out. I love how kaiji is so much more human (thus far) than the nigh on invincible genius that Akgai was.

Last edited by babbo on Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 14