• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fantasy anime recommendations.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SugarSkies

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Hmm... some good ones are:

XXXHolic and Tsubasa- These both tie into each other. Holic is about an ill-fated boy named Wantanuki. He can see demons, and that causes him mush trouble. When he meets Yuuko(a dimensional witch), she grants him the wish to not see these monsters for a price. The price is to work at her shop. Needless to say, she gets him in a lot of trouble. Watanuki's life is somehow tied to Syaoran's of Tsubasa...
In Tsubasa a young girl looses her memories(Sakura) and her friend Syaoran along with two other fun Characters(Fye and Kurogane(Kuro-Pii). A lot of hardships follow them on their journey.
Both of these anime(sp?) are very good. My descriptions suck because if I say too much I will be spoiling it, sorry!

Mushishi- Is so wonderful! Ginko, a Mushi Master, travels around studying the mysterious animal call the "mushi." The concepts in the story are quite amazing, and you kinda learn something each episode. The art is also amazing. I love the way the mushi are drawn. There are new mushi every episode, so you can never get bored. And! The opening is the best. Personally, I have only see four episodes... so I can't give you too much to work off of.

Air TV- Air is hard to describe... okay! It is about a man(Yukino?) who is searching for a girl with wings. He comes upon a town with some strange girls. Yukino begins to live with one of them. She hasn't any parents and lives with her aunt. This isn't coming out well. I suggest you read a better description of Air. This one is too hard for me to do.

Loveless(Shounen-Ai)- Yes, Loveless is a Shounen-Ai(boys love). Everyone in the Loveless world has cat ears and tails. It is about a middle schooler(Ritsuka) who meets an older man named Soubi. Rit finds out Soubi was his brother's "fighter." Rit becomes Soubi's "sacrifice"(takes all damage during a magical battle) in order to find out why his brother died. This story has a lot of magical battles in it. Also, Loveless has I think two kisses in it. They are quick, so if you are just getting into Shounen-Ai start with this.

It is really hard to think when you're asked the question. There was also another Shounen-Ai... I think it was Angel Wings or Angel Sanctuary... something like that. Oh! Anything by Miyazaki(sp?)
Anyway, what I said above were some of my favorites. I hope these may be helpful. Sorry if my descriptions aren't very good.
NocturnalUX

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:20 pm Reply with quote
SugarSkies wrote:

Loveless(Shounen-Ai)- Yes, Loveless is a Shounen-Ai(boys love). Everyone in the Loveless world has cat ears and tails. It is about a middle schooler(Ritsuka) who meets an older man named Soubi. Rit finds out Soubi was his brother's "fighter." Rit becomes Soubi's "sacrifice"(takes all damage during a magical battle) in order to find out why his brother died. This story has a lot of magical battles in it. Also, Loveless has I think two kisses in it. They are quick, so if you are just getting into Shounen-Ai start with this.

This is not exactly true, not everyone has car ears and tails. Only virgins do. People who have engaged in sexual activity lose their ears and tails. Soubi, for example, has no cat features whatsoever. There is a case of spoiler[a girl who having lost her cat ears wears a pair of fakes.] Losing one's cat-like features can be something of a stigma in certain circumstances. By the way, it should be mentioned that kissing is extremely relevant in Loveless, when done mid-battle it increases the synchronization between fighter and sacrifice.

SugarSkies wrote:
There was also another Shounen-Ai... I think it was Angel Wings or Angel Sanctuary... something like that.

I think you mean Angel's Feather .The fantasy element in Angel's Feather is probably the best thing in the entire OVA. Unfortunately the whole thing felt very rushed to me and the ending is open in a bad way. There are too many characters that are not at all developed. At any rate, this one should interest anyone who really enjoys angel related mythologies and/or shounen-ai.

I can't think of anything that hasn't been added to this thread...except perhaps Orphen I haven't finished this one, I am at episode 16, so my comments should not be entirely relied upon. At any rate, it is the story of the titular hero, Orphen, a magician whose love interest became a monstrous dragon after commiting some magical ritual that went amiss. The plot follows Orphen and a few companions he picks up along the way on a quest to return Azalea, the before mentione love interest (at least I believe there is some romantic element to it, thus far it has not been made completely clear) her back to her original human form. To spice things up, the school of wizards to which both Orphen and Azalea belonged has sworn to kill her, thus forcing Orphen to go into a exile of sorts.
It all sounds very interesting and exciting but I'm afraid the execution is far from flawless (go aliteration.) There is quite a lot of filler and the comedy fails more often than not. Still, the fantasy itself is well plotted out and the magical battles are fun to watch. The high point is probably Azalea's dragon form, Bloody August. For a series that is mostly tongue in cheek with its serious moments every now and then, Blooy August looks quite frightening and not at all cutefied.

And I might as well add Tactics Despite its title that made me immediately think of either military related anime or something bordering on hentai, Tactics is a fantasy story set in 19th century Japan (at least I infer that it is 19th century, I could be mistaken), centring around Kantarou who sees and frees "youkai" that have been stranded in the human world and are causing havoc. The plot follows him and Haruka, a tengu that Kantarou unsealed and thus bind to himself, and a few other companions as they solve supernatural problems. It is not a work of genius, perhaps, but it might interest people who are into Japanese folklore. There is plenty of comedy and it works more often than not. The scenarios are occasionally gorgeous and the character design quite agreeable.
chichiriNoDa

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:59 pm Reply with quote
I would recommend Fushigi Yugi becuase it's not only a fantasy anime it could also be very comical, melodrama, and adventure.

You should try this because it has a really good character development and a very heartwarming tale.

Anyways the story revolves around Miaka who got sucked inside a book called The Universe Of The Four God and in order to go back home she needs to find all of her warriors and summon the the beast God Suzaku. If she succeed in her mission she will then be given a three wishes.
But her friend also got transported inside the book and become her rival.

So there that's my summary of it, you should try it!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NathanBum

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:12 pm Reply with quote
I need a sadistically violent fantasy anime that doesn't has 1-3 seasons and is easily buy able in the United States for under $200. I want animes that have excessive violence and gore, good medevil themes, pychological conflict, and maybe some supernatural things in them. Any suggestions?

Animes I've enjoyed:
-Gantz (first season)

Animes I plan to buy:
-Berserk

Thank you very much! Wink
XfantomcatX

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:09 pm Reply with quote
I say:
Record of Lodoss War (it's a classic)

Magic Knight Rayearth (if you like shoujo anime, but also might like it if you don't. Plays out exactly like an rpg)

Visions of Escaflowne (another really good one with bits of scifi and mechas int here too)

Slayers (Loved this one even in like 5th grade. Very funny ^^)

Dragon Half (if you want something to watch after a really sad movie like End of Evangelion or Grave of the Fireflies, whatch this. Razz very funny/goofy humor)

Seirei no Moribito (could probably be put in other categories besides fantasy as well, but there is magic invoved and it is a great anime.. gorgeous visuals especially the detailed miyazaki-esque backgrounds)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Porcupine

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:07 pm Reply with quote
I also recommend the Record of Lodoss War OVA, the only comment I would make about this is that it's quite an old show, it's practically a late 80's anime, and so the drawings reflect that a little in the style, even though the quality is fairly good. I don't recommend the Record of Lodoss War TV series which came 8 years later. It looks more modern (like 90's anime) but it's ultra cheap and ultra low-budget, with terrible directing and pacing issues.

I also think other previous recommendations like Slayers, Escaflowne, Inu Yasha, Fushigi Yuugi, and such may be good, but would suggest previewing these (if possible) to see if they suit your personal tastes first.

I'm also not sure all the recommendations in this thread are Fantasy animes. Some may border into other categories. I think Dan42 tries to differentiate some genres as being different from fantasy but I can't remember his exact definitions and forgot where they are written. For example I think Princess Tutu may not be the best example of a fantasy anime, it's more like a shoujo anime with a fantasy theme which Dan42 might have differentiated. I'm not sure Fate/Stay Night is strictly fantasy either because it is set in the modern world (kind of). Then again, something like Magic Knight Rayearth which has some shoujo elements, maybe is still best categorized as fantasy since the girls travel around in a different world in a story with an evolving plot (as opposed to staying in the same location but transforming into magical girls and fighting whatever bad guy appears that day). I thought MKR has a strong fantasy feel.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:23 pm Reply with quote
NathanBum wrote:
I need a sadistically violent fantasy anime that doesn't has 1-3 seasons and is easily buy able in the United States for under $200. I want animes that have excessive violence and gore, good medevil themes, pychological conflict, and maybe some supernatural things in them. Any suggestions?

Animes I've enjoyed:
-Gantz (first season)

Animes I plan to buy:
-Berserk

One that might interest you that hasn't been mentioned yet and should be generally available for $40 or less (I've seen it in stores as recently as a week or two ago) is the 6-episode OVA series Bastard!!
It's about an extremely powerful sorcerer who got imprisoned after trying to conquer the world and gets released from a magical seal to save it - only, as the title indicates, he is a complete bastard.

The series is more than a bit on the campy side and has its playful moments, but also turn very dramatic at times and has no shortage of graphic content. The editing forced on it to avoid trademark infringements causes most of the original heavy metal music references to be lost, but it's still a lot of fun.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
skycamefalling

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:09 pm Reply with quote
I'm on the same page as Nathanbum

I am looking for something just has he described, I don't think I enjoyed Gantz as much. But Berserk is my favorite series so far and I made a post Sat about it and someone told me about Claymore. I just finished it and it was pretty amazing. Are there others like those two?
3lectro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:19 pm Reply with quote
skycamefalling wrote:
I'm on the same page as Nathanbum

I am looking for something just has he described, I don't think I enjoyed Gantz as much. But Berserk is my favorite series so far and I made a post Sat about it and someone told me about Claymore. I just finished it and it was pretty amazing. Are there others like those two?

I would recommend Guardian of sacred spirit
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Legend of Himiko would be my pick for a classical fantasy not mentioned. The story itself is set in a fantasy era that's being overrun by a large empire in control of a limitless evil force. The only thing standing in their way is a group of women empowered by a light source and two time-travelers from our time (well, the 90's, roughly).

Another anime that isn't classical fantasy but could be consider fantasy-esque would be Kino No Tabi ("Kino's Journey"). The story centers around a young woman named Kino and her talking motorbike (or "motorad") Hermes, that go on a wide-ranging journey all over their land. While the concept seems simple enough, the adventures of Kino are anything but. It's a highly-recommended series for those who don't mind a bit of technology in their fantasy adventures.
TBoi290

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:27 pm Reply with quote
A good Fantasy anime i would suggest is Shounen Onmyouji. It focuses on Abe no Masahiro, grandson of the famous Abe no Semei, and his exploits to become his grandfather's successor. With the help of a Shikigami named Guren he begins his journey to become the greatest onmyouji.

This anime is very interesting and can be quite comical at times. Excellent plot and creative characters. Good view for anyone!
Ryokosha

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:51 am Reply with quote
I also recommend Sorcerer Hunters. It is somewhat of a classic these days, but it has all the elements to make it a great fantasy anime worth laughs if nothing else with all the names and the character interactions set in the fantasy world they reside.

AIR TV is just beautiful, not much more needs to be said about it other then it is stunningly beautiful and touching fantasy anime which as a very good haunting quality to it that left. For me this as one of those anime I longed for one tht took my breath away and also left me sad but at the same time is so addicitive I can't stop watching it again. This should be in many people's top five lists of must see anime series in my opinion.

Two which are a bit older and I think fantasy though they might be a bit more sci-fi/fantasy mix anyway they are excellent series are as follows:

Saber Marionette J - just a great concept I have seen copied many times but never topped and one that makes this fantasy story a a bit of a comedic twist one I've seen loads of times. Part of what sells this anime to me is the very interesting concept of what gives the marionettes, Bloodberry, Cherry and Lime their emotions and what makes them so special, the spoiler[maiden ciruit]. It is also one of the rare series where even some of what could be seen and I've heard others call filler episodes actually help advance a part of the story, even in a very small way. Highly enjoyed this series and each time I watch it I notice something new such as how each of the marionettes represent a different stage of "womanhood". This is without question one series I consider a must see for those that have not yet seen it.

Also Steel Angel Kurumi - This one is another along the lines of the one above, to me it is also original and excellently done. The story follows a young boy Nakahito Kagura who finds a life sized doll named Kurumi. When the house is attacked he accidently kisses her causing her to wake in a Sleeping Beauty fashion, also through the kiss he creates a bond to her becoming her master to the point a highly powerful 'steel angel' hunted for unknown reasons by the military will only take orders from the 11 year old Nakahito. This is another one of those cool series that works even with short episodes each running only about 15 minutes each. Even with such short episodes, the animation is very excellently done and overall holds a lot of great enjoyable aspects that have made it one of those series I've watched many times over without it ever feeling old or repetitive.
Casey Jones

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:58 pm Reply with quote
NathanBum wrote:

Animes I've enjoyed:
-Gantz (first season)

Animes I plan to buy:
-Berserk

Nathan, and Skycamefalling, i am exactly like you 2. I'm new here, but i love dark sadistic, serious anime with a D&D style (when i think Fantasy i thing dungeons and dragons). I would say to you Nate, if you haven't got it yet, to DEF pick up Berserk as you intend to do, it fits your likeness perfectly (its my fav anime by far).

I would also recommend Bastard!, as Key recommends, it was also good.

Record of Lodoss War is also an anime classic in this genre you should check out.

I plan on seeing claymore since i hear it is right up this alley too.

I would ask for any recommendations but people already made em to Nathan and im just like him with my anime preference.

I plan on checking this thread often.
Celtic Twilight

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Hello everyone!

Thank you for all of the recommendations! This thread is so helpful.

Here are the trailers for all of the series that have been mentioned here. I've been looking them up, so I figured I would link them here in case anyone else wants to browse through em. =)

Trailers:

12 Kingdoms animenewsnetwork.com/video/250/
Record of Lodoss War animenewsnetwork.com/video/181/
Fullmetal Alchemist animenewsnetwork.com/video/508/
Slayers animenewsnetwork.com/video/222/
Utawarerumono animenewsnetwork.com/video/517/
Guardian of the Sacred Spirit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waSwndpzFSU
The Story of Saiunkoku (Intro - no trailer) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LlChEqFgH8
Scrapped Princess animenewsnetwork.com/video/340/
Shadow Skill animenewsnetwork.com/video/214/
Gokudo animenewsnetwork.com/video/95/
Dragon Half http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U29Uhtxpk4k
Rune Soldier animenewsnetwork.com/video/189/
Claymore animenewsnetwork.com/video/384/
Fate/Stay Night animenewsnetwork.com/video/423/
Berserk animenewsnetwork.com/video/45/
Inuyasha (Intro - no trailer) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8-8zmRBSck
Mushishi animenewsnetwork.com/video/430/
Ninja Scroll animenewsnetwork.com/video/204/
Vision of Escaflowne animenewsnetwork.com/video/362/
Princess Tutu http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4_OOcdWQSo
Magic Knight Rayearth animenewsnetwork.com/video/143/
Good Witch of the West http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IP0Ne_WxnrA
Shamanic Princess animenewsnetwork.com/video/216/
Tsubasa animenewsnetwork.com/video/397/
xxxHolic animenewsnetwork.com/video/399/
Air animenewsnetwork.com/video/27/
Loveless(fan trailer) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVNONwqT0LE
Orphen http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POPNEbzPi9M
Tactics animenewsnetwork.com/video/trailers#m
Fushigi Yuugi (fan trailer) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcWeJjuvJoQ
Gantz animenewsnetwork.com/video/86/
Legend of Himiko animenewsnetwork.com/video/133/
Kino's Journeys http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udmx3ioHWDI
Shounen Onmyouji (Intro - no trailer) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxXGwAcHYjI
Sorcerer Hunters animenewsnetwork.com/video/226/
Saber Marionette J animenewsnetwork.com/video/339/
Steel Angel Kurumi http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7ntWbwKe9w

And like others before me, I would like to recommend Fullmetal Alchemist, Tsubasa Resevoir Chronicles, and Scrapped Princess.

I would also like to add the following to the list:

Soul Eater http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoRL_p-L2aM Best anime Op ever: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aX26MLlRfws

In a world where humans can literally transform into weapons, students train to destroy (and eat) evil souls. Sounds really wierd, but this fun playful series is all about the unique characters and amazing battles. It feels a little similar to Naruto in that each character has his/her own unique fighting style and distinct personality.

Spice and Wolf (intro - no trailer) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MN_WgwEmRaw

A legendary wolf Goddess of Wheat takes human form and travels with a travelling merchant.

.hack//SIGN http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RrvuNHKOjI

A boy finds himself trapped in a fantasy world which he soons discovers is really an online RPG. He and his virtual friends embark on a journey to discover why he can't log out.

And for the people who desperatly want violence, a series I found too violent to stomach:

Now and Then, Here and There animenewsnetwork.com/video/164/
RedLeader

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Well, since people keep mentioning Escaflowne, I'm going to have to stick up a recommendation for the ORIGINAL Fantasy Robot show, Aura Battle Dunbine, without which Escaflowne wouldn't even exist. :p

Dunbine follows the adventures of Shou Zama, a motorcross racer who finds himself inexplicably summoned to the fantasy world of Byston Well where his "Upper Earth" lineage is supposed to have gifted him with an immense amount of Aura Power which one feudal lord wants to put to use by having him and others from Upper Earth pilot bug-like Mobile Suits called Aura Battlers. Shou soon finds that he's working for the wrong side and joins a rebel faction, hoping they can help him find his way home.

It's a bit harder to find, but it's a good old fashioned show people often forget about. It also looks like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NC0BFyj4DFY
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3