• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fantasy anime recommendations.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
One Vorlon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:41 am Reply with quote
Manganime00 wrote:
Why are there so many fighting ones?
I prefer only a little bit of violence...
Kind of like Yuuri from Kyou Kara Maoh.

In that case, have you seen Haibane Renmei? After a bizarre falling dream, a girl erupts from a cocoon with only fragmented memories of her past life, and must make a new life for herself in an anachronistic city. Haibane Renmei is purely a slice-of-life piece - with no violence involved and very subtle (if any) magic.

Another possibility might be Ah! My Goddess. Its technically set in modern day Japan, but at least half of the recurring characters are from Heaven, Hell, or other fantastic realms (with appropriate supernatural powers). If you ignore the high fantasy elements, its basically about an arranged marriage in modern society - the uncertainty if this is the "real deal" or just a temporary convenience, dealing with their new relatives and family feuds, etc. There is some violence, but it tends to be cartoony, or the kind of thing that a good night's sleep will fix.

And on a final note, I'd like to second the recommendation for Those Who Hunt Elves. In it an actress, a martial artist, and a sharpshooting army brat (from our world) search a fantasy world for the fragments of a spell that will send them home. However, due to a slight . . . mishap, those fragments have ended up tattooed on the bodies of women. Cue ensuing hilarity as they have to persuade every female elf they see to disrobe (or, more often than not, strip'em and run). There is some violence, but if its more than just sparring, one side or the other tends to have an overwhelming advantage.
andalib13

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:14 am Reply with quote
Manganime00 wrote:
Why are there so many fighting ones?
I prefer only a little bit of violence...
Kind of like Yuuri from Kyou Kara Maoh.

If you are looking for a less violent fantasy anime, then I can recommend "El Hazard The magnificent world" Its about two parallel worlds (Earth & El hazard), and two characters (Makoto, a high school student, and Ifurita, a demon Godess) making a time loop by traveling across time and dimensions trying to save El Hazard from ultimate destruction... The story is deep and its full of funny events, but since it is an anime of 90s,... its art quality is not that good.
Set1229

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:29 am Reply with quote
I need a light-hearted fantasy, loved CCS, Slayers (season 1), Magic Knight Rayearth, Rozen Maiden. Just no super-ecchi, trauma induced teens or blood fests. These make me very angry to put it mildly.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Show me yours and I'll show you mine.

Surprisingly, no one has written up recs for Card Captor Sakura or Rozen Maiden, so could you maybe, make recommendations of your own before asking for more?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:20 pm Reply with quote
So it is now 2016. My question: Did 2013-15 present any good fantasy anime? (Please, no unannotated lists. Thank you.)
Night fox

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Well, I can definitely recommend Patema Inverted, which has the very creative and interesting premise of two worlds with very different gravity, which means that if people from one world were to visit the other,spoiler[ they would literally fall into the sky.] This movie has a fundamentally serious theme, but also some really funny moments, and two great protagonists. The distorted physics also allows for some wondrous scenes and thrilling moments.

My second pick would be a title pretty much everyone has heard of, Attack on Titan. This is the show for you who like to see people getting eaten by huge humanoid monsters. No, seriously, this show has great action sequenses and a psychological theme that explores human strenghts and weaknesses. It is set in a post-apocalyptic world where humanity is on the brink of extinction and has taken refuge behind enormous stone walls that protect them against the maneating Titans.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3