• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan Asks America to Stop Illegal Net Releases of Anime

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Asako wrote:
Hmm, does anyone have a sort of chart on how it has "increasingly damaged the creative industries of Japan." I just want the perspective Smile I've always wondered how much downloads have affected the industry. I've also seen many people claim that it doesn't. But I never believed that.

The thing is there will never be any "real" numbers on that matter. In order to obtain any sort of scientific relationship between these two things the companies themselves would have to engage in illegal activities. And for various reason, there just not going to do that. This is why it is one of the favorite agruments of the "Fansubs do no damage crowd" because they know that that evidence will never be produced, which in there minds makes everything they say right.

One could also say that the companies really have no need to do such a study because there is enough smoke to tell where the fire is.

---------------------------------------

As far as this new statement goes, I believe it is just a simple request and/or statement to let the United States know where the Japanese stand at this point. Which is full within there right to do so. Is it a sign that the Japanese are ramping up for crack downs? Maybe. But they have other costs to worry about other than legal fees at the moment, like labor costs, so it will come down to how much of a priority this is.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:17 pm Reply with quote
testorschoice wrote:
Doesn't the news article already say it was a statement of requests, plural, and that statement includes a request, singular, on anime? I think the news is already pretty clear that the requests are not only about anime, but it includes anime.

My post was intended for those who couldn't read the report; obviously you were not one of those. Judging from replies in this thread I had a feeling that many posters had had such an impression, therefore I re-emphasized that P2P distribution of anime is just part of the chapter of copyright protection, which is in turn just a part of the report with 17 chapters. I apologize if my previous post created any misunderstanding.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Xanas

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

One could also say that the companies really have no need to do such a study because there is enough smoke to tell where the fire is.

One could also point out that the smoke existed long before net-distributed fansubs were around, since the industry has always been a niche industry with a relatively small fan base compared to domestic television. One could also point to the fact that other industries have had various ups and downs without regard to any illegal distribution, so ups and downs in and of themselves are kind of hard to call "smoke."
leatherman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Romuska wrote:
I personally always felt that downloading a new anime series straight from Japan is like watching it on TV.

But that's not how the networks will see it. They don't get the advertising revenue from you watching it on the net. Not that it would make a difference in North America, but at the same time, you aren't paying them to view it without commercials either. When somebody in Canada watches an American network, they still get the American ads, unless their cable company pre-emps them with Canadian commercials. If there was a provider in the states that carried a Japanese station, and people were watching it on there, the networks wouldn't care because they are still getting the revenue from the American provider to view that show. Well, not wouldn't care, but would be less stressed about it. When you buy the DVD you are paying the company to watch that show without commercials. Okay, in North America we pay the licensor's to watch it, they pay the license holder in Japan to bring it over, License holder is happy. The majority of the networks revenue comes from the commercials that you see in between your favourite show.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:28 pm Reply with quote
leatherman wrote:
Romuska wrote:
I personally always felt that downloading a new anime series straight from Japan is like watching it on TV.

But that's not how the networks will see it. They don't get the advertising revenue from you watching it on the net. Not that it would make a difference in North America, but at the same time, you aren't paying them to view it without commercials either. When somebody in Canada watches an American network, they still get the American ads, unless their cable company pre-emps them with Canadian commercials. If there was a provider in the states that carried a Japanese station, and people were watching it on there, the networks wouldn't care because they are still getting the revenue from the American provider to view that show. Well, not wouldn't care, but would be less stressed about it. When you buy the DVD you are paying the company to watch that show without commercials. Okay, in North America we pay the licensor's to watch it, they pay the license holder in Japan to bring it over, License holder is happy. The majority of the networks revenue comes from the commercials that you see in between your favourite show.

So if I saw the the japanese commericals on the fansubs then would that be ok? Why get mad about a product I couldn't buy if I wanted too? They advertisers paid for their time already but I have no way to get their product. So it doesn't matter if I see it or not. I'm sure the millions (guessing) watching in Japan saw it already anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Romuska wrote:

Actually, there is one difference: commercials. Japanese TV makes their money the same way American TV does, through selling advertising time. One common complaint is that people downloading episodes are getting the shows commercial free. Keep in mind that we aren't the only ones watching the videos, Japanese fans are watching these, and the raws they come from, as well. This, I think, is another problem that we don't hear about. Japan should turn its target on the raws coming out of Japan, not the Americans putting subtitles on them.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leatherman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:42 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:

So if I saw the the japanese commericals on the fansubs then would that be ok? Why get mad about a product I couldn't buy if I wanted too? They advertisers paid for their time already but I have no way to get their product. So it doesn't matter if I see it or not. I'm sure the millions (guessing) watching in Japan saw it already anyway.

But you are still watching something that they aren't getting any revenue for. Yes, the advertisers have already paid their money, and the network has made their money from that. But the network isn't making any money from you watching it online. Commercials in the fansubs wouldn't be ok either. I'm sorry if I came across trying to put it out like that. The point is is that they don't want you to watch it without paying for it in some manner. Either through your cable bill or buying the DVD. It doesn't matter if it has been licensed in North America yet or not. They want it to be licensed in North America, but they don't say "Hey you, ADV, license this show". The license being picked up is entirely up to the North American company. If they don't pick it up, then it sucks to be you.
thebaron

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:43 pm Reply with quote
I would not mind some commercials from Japan, since most those I have seen were wacked out! Now if I could only afford their products.

Their market is so different from ours and most of us are cheap b@st@rds, so either wait for the price to drop via box sets or reissues.
They love to spend money on expensive item over the cheaper version in a lot of cases. I am sure the japanese retailers love their fellow countrymen ;)

I own many many legal anime dvd titles (500+), but the $30 price tag for 3-5 episodes sucks. They would sell much better at the $20 price, since most would fine it easier to drop $20 bucks over $30 for a new title. Anime has become less of a niche market and the pricing should reflect that.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:44 pm Reply with quote
leatherman wrote:
britannicamoore wrote:

But you are still watching something that they aren't getting any revenue for. Yes, the advertisers have already paid their money, and the network has made their money from that. But the network isn't making any money from you watching it online. Commercials in the fansubs wouldn't be ok either. I'm sorry if I came across trying to put it out like that. The point is is that they don't want you to watch it without paying for it in some manner. Either through your cable bill or buying the DVD. It doesn't matter if it has been licensed in North America yet or not. They want it to be licensed in North America, but they don't say "Hey you, ADV, license this show". The license being picked up is entirely up to the North American company. If they don't pick it up, then it sucks to be you.

The thats why I suggested they do something too. Try putting sbs on things early and charging for it instead of having to sit down and talk about it for months on end. A majority of the problem is their fault too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Gatchaman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:45 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
leatherman wrote:
Romuska wrote:

Because if everyone outside of Japan could watch it for free, then why would anime distribution companies even bother to spend any money or effort to bring the series to America in DVD format or American TV?

Japanese companies make some money off their domestic market, but they also rely a lot on licensing revenue... Every authentic DVD sold in the U.S., every U.S. tv network that broadcasts anime... they all pay some sort of royalty/license fee back to Japan... if you download anime, you kill the revenues for the licensees outside of Japan... which therefore kills revenues for the Japanese licensors...

Bottom Line: nothing is free... downloading anime willy nilly without a care is still stealing...
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:

Actually, there is one difference: commercials. Japanese TV makes their money the same way American TV does, through selling advertising time. One common complaint is that people downloading episodes are getting the shows commercial free. Keep in mind that we aren't the only ones watching the videos, Japanese fans are watching these, and the raws they come from, as well. This, I think, is another problem that we don't hear about. Japan should turn its target on the raws coming out of Japan, not the Americans putting subtitles on them.

Emerje

It's not just commercials. The Japanese also pay a yearly tax for terrestrial television, not to mention the fact that a lot of anime is on cable stations.

All that anime you see that originally aired on NHK? Paid for by public broadcasting, and viewers like you*.

*not like you, like the people who live in Japan and pay taxes.
Paploo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:

Emerje

I think they've already started doing that by changing the law so they can fine file sharers in addition to uploaders.

And most Japanese TV Stations enforce a monthly fee for service [and I'm not talking cable- the NHK goes door to door, and wants your TV fees, NOW!]

Given how many shows are prelicensed, and the fact that turnarounds are getting faster and faster, I don't think US companies are lazy- some fans are just impatient.
leatherman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:49 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:

The thats why I suggested they do something too. Try putting sbs on things early and charging for it instead of having to sit down and talk about it for months on end. A majority of the problem is their fault too.

I agree that it's their fault. The same can be said for the American Film and Music industry. They didn't have the forward thinking required to deal with digital content in the scale that it is now. Now they are trying to play catch up with the internet, and trying to find any way they can to try and nip it in the bud.

I was just disagreeing with the view that it's the same as watching it on cable.
LunarEchoes

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Hold on a minute. This is for all anime? Does this mean they're taking legal action against fansubs as well? As far as I'd been aware, it wasn't a problem to stream/torrent/download anime that hasn't been licensed outside of Japan.

Personally, I tend to watch most anime online and if I like I buy the DVDs, and if not just forget about it, but anime is too expensive to be buying everything ($20-25 each). And really, is this going to put an end to sharing anime for good? Doubtful.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Why do I get the feeling that this is going to turn into another 20+ page bickerfest? Rolling Eyes
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 26