• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan Asks America to Stop Illegal Net Releases of Anime

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
babbo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:35 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Quote:
and got these fansub groups that do it free of charge to sub R2 dvd's free of charge, no extra cost on the japanese

There are some fansub groups that do a good translation job. There are many others that don't. As a sub-watcher, I wouldn't be buying DVDs if I couldn't rest assured that I was getting quality professional translations. I suspect that getting the translations done by amateurs would scare away as many customers as it would attract.

In any case, if you were running a Japanese anime company, would you leave this responsibility in the hands of a bunch of unpaid amateurs who you've never met and have no control of?

Well I think the main reason that a japanese company wouldn't do it is because then there'd be less reason for American companies to license shows with an existing sub. Naturally rather than help foreign fans out they're more interested in sucking exorbitant licensing fees out of foreign companies ;D

the Japanese might not, but it's entirely possibly that foreign companies might. Not sure about anime, but the guy who did the translations for the scanslation of beck is currently working on the official translation. So I'd hardly say it's unreasonable that someting along those lines could happen.

Additionally fansubbers like a good ass kissing. Go take a look at shinsen subs forums if you don't believe me. If they do have a degree of proffesionalism (which some fansubbers do believe they have and try to maintain it) then it might not be unreasonable to expect them to work unpaid.
Paploo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:53 am Reply with quote
Actually, this is what Bandai Visual USA is already doing- asides from releasing some back catalogue titles on R1 DVD, they're also taking newer OVA's, and releasing them here simultaneously, such as the SOS Tokyo Explorers OVA, which'll be out here 3 weeks after.

There's a number of titles that have seen simultaenous release, but it's something that takes a lot of planning, and all depends on all the rights holders [including the company/artist whose work is being adapted into anime].

Grrl Power, Ninja Scroll TV, and Karas Revelation are all examples of speedy releases.....

This all depends on it selling though.
Xanas

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:56 am Reply with quote
Paploo, the fact is one is not ripping them off in any way if you end up paying the same amount regardless. Buying only on sales, going to the library, etc. may all be "legitimate" things to do, but if one doesn't care what is "legitimate" then one keeps getting told to "do the same things I am doing" and it just doesn't mean too much. Also, it seems that you and CCSYueh assume that for all the rest of us that anime is interchangeable. If one likes a show one probably likes all of them (and so is willing to go to the library and watch it's limited selection, etc). I'll just dispel that notion. Unlike others I tend to decide extremely quickly if I like something or not (a preview of 1 episode is good enough for me to know if I hate it, it may take me 4 episodes of a slower show to decide I like it).

Anyway, you've done a lot of good in describing how you think we should do things, but not telling us why we should do them. I don't think I am supporting the industry any less than you are. I am not "ripping them off" even if I do admit to not respect their copyright too much (I don't see copyright as ownership the way you or CCSYueh does). Also as far as supporting libraries goes, I can't admit that I do. I tend to think most things at libraries should be on the net and available. Why should I have to physically go to a library?

I know, I know, I'm lazy. But that's how it is. I don't know why I should go to a library when I wouldn't have to in the future if things in libraries are put on the net instead. Not all libraries are equal, etc and they never will be. Also it ultimately costs society more if all libraries get stronger than if they use the natural ability of the net to store information. Physical storage costs substantially more than virtual storage. So there are quite a few practical reasons I think physical libraries are going to be even more of a niche thing than they are now in the future.

Quote:

Buy those DVD's people.

Already am. You are speaking to the choir on this topic. If I always waited for sales, etc. I wouldn't be spending any more than I already am. The industry would actually be getting less support since they spent slightly more producing the media and packaging for less $. I would like more people to buy anime DVDs, but first I have to convince them to like anime. And then I have to convince them to buy it rather than American TV despite the prices. I absolutely want to do it, since I buy anime over American TV myself, but it's difficult. Money sadly doesn't come out of thin air when people choose to buy and I have to convince people to give up other hobbies to buy more anime.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:45 am Reply with quote
Hm.. while you all have a lot of good theories, I think it's best if you send your ideas to the authorities in charge of such capabilities. Otherwise, we're just chasing the topic around in circles from our soapboxes. While it's interesting to ponder how companies can possibly solve such problems, I don't see them being resolved in this thread anytime soon. So if you want to continue via PM with whoever you're conversing with, please do so. As fans, all we can do now is wait to see what/if the government decides to do anything. No point in making this an endless debate any longer.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 26 of 26