• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Family Honors Anime Fan Killed While Serving in Iraq

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rolando_jose

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:22 am Reply with quote
Damn he was so young.

Rolando
Lorraine_Kristine

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:27 am Reply with quote
Hey.. He isn't the only anime fan who died in a war.. <_<;;;

Why is he so special.. Shocked

Why is he lucky enough to get that kind of a family.. <_<;;;;
babbo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:31 am Reply with quote
Lorraine_Kristine wrote:

Agreed. Why is this news worthy o,o?

It's sad that he died, but there's prolly more to the guy than the fact that he was an anime fan. Pretty shallow article imo <.<
Fabe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:48 am Reply with quote
babbo wrote:
Lorraine_Kristine wrote:

It's sad that he died, but there's prolly more to the guy than the fact that he was an anime fan. Pretty shallow article imo <.<

I disagree, the article shows that anime fans are'nt all a bunch of stereotypical overweight "losers" but come from all walks of life.
babbo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:02 am Reply with quote
Fabe wrote:
babbo wrote:
Lorraine_Kristine wrote:

I disagree, the article shows that anime fans are'nt all a bunch of stereotypical overweight "losers" but come from all walks of life.

Isn't that already a given? There's no need to use this guy's death to reaffirm something like that. It could be easily done with any number of other people from any walk of life.

Last edited by babbo on Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Kiyoko

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:03 am Reply with quote
If you don't think it's news worthy, then ignore it and go read the next article.

My heart goes out to the soldier's family. I have a close friend and fellow rabid anime fan who will be leaving for his first tour in Iraq in the summer of 2008, and he'll be stuck over there for 15 months minimum. I hope he'll be able to return home both physically and mentally safe.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:04 am Reply with quote
babbo wrote:
Fabe wrote:

Isn't that already a given? There's no need to use this guy's death to reaffirm something like that. It could be easily done with any number of other people from any walk of life.

This is not a remotely normal occurrence and it is anime related. Thus, it is "special" and newsworthy.
MugenKeiji

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:12 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
babbo wrote:
Fabe wrote:

This is not a remotely normal occurrence and it is anime related. Thus, it is "special" and newsworthy.

I disagree. I mean you could be a martial artist, an athlete, a hip hop dancer or like the outdoors and still be an anime fan.

I mean the vision of the fat sweaty anime nerd that doesn't understand the meaning of exercise is a straw man at best. Nowadays like today's gamer they do you know...SEEK OTHER THINGS IN LIFE.

I find it funny that this is newsworthy and the atheist in the foxhole killed by "friendly fire" was hardly mentioned with such sympathy.

Your jingoist self image issues about other anime fans can kiss the blackest part of my arse.
babbo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:17 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
babbo wrote:
Fabe wrote:

Are you kidding? I truly doubt that this guy is the first anime fan that has died in the war. I know two guys myself that are anime fans that have respectively served and is serving in Iraq.

*thumbs up@ MugenKeiji*
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:17 am Reply with quote
MugenKeiji wrote:

I disagree. I mean you could be a martial artist, an athlete, a hip hop dancer or like the outdoors and still be an anime fan.

I mean the vision of the fat sweaty anime nerd that doesn't understand the meaning of exercise is a straw man at best. Nowadays like today's gamer they do you know...SEEK OTHER THINGS IN LIFE.

That's nice. It has nothing to do with this article.

Quote:
I find it funny that this is newsworthy and the atheist in the foxhole killed by "friendly fire" was hardly mentioned with such sympathy.

This is Anime News Network, not War News Network.

Quote:
Your jingoist self image issues about other anime fans can kiss the blackest part of my arse.

Nice job making assumptions about me, but then again, you are making this bizarre assumption that this article has something to do with the perception of anime fans, so I'm not surprised.
babbo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:19 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
MugenKeiji wrote:

That's nice. It has nothing to do with this article.

Quote:

This is Anime News Network, not War News Network.

Quote:

Nice job making assumptions about me, but then again, you are making this bizarre assumption that this article has something to do with the perception of anime fans, so I'm not surprised.

you do realize that this is a quote from a newspaper article don't you o,o?
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:21 am Reply with quote
Yes, ANN got the info from a newspaper. But they didn't post it because of anime fan image issues. And I'm not sure what that has to do with what I posted.

ONLY quote the relevant parts of a post. Take out the other stuff as its a waste of space and can make it difficult to figure out what is being addressed.
babbo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:27 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Yes, ANN got the info from a newspaper. But they didn't post it because of anime fan image issues. And I'm not sure what that has to do with what I posted.

ONLY quote the relevant parts of a post. Take out the other stuff as its a waste of space and can make it difficult to figure out what is being addressed.

Well then what plausible reason is there to post it? An anime fan died? The guy's probably already had his name printed in a couple local newspapers and put up on the local television station, but since he's an anime fan it has to go up on here? Surely there were more important things to him than anime, but somehow that became the focus of the article? Again, shallow article, and an even more shallow news post here.

All three of the things you said were related to the nature of the article and devoid of the fact that it was taken from a newspaper article ;p

Last edited by babbo on Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:46 am; edited 3 times in total
kokuryu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:29 am Reply with quote
Plenty of anime fans in the military.

When I had a store selling anime, about 1/3 of all of my sales went to the military - and it was everyone at all levels in the military and all branches that bought it. But that was before the current war - now I am sure it would be a lot more.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:57 am Reply with quote
babbo wrote:

*blink blink*

Solider dies.

Solider is anime fan enough that his family hung an anime figure from his memorial tree.

Someone from ANN happened to read the newpaper article, and put up a single paragraph on the website that will quickly be buried with newsbits about Japan's fall anime season.

Why in the world are you so bothered by it?

And don't start with a 'but there's more than one solider who watches anime' speech. I know. I have friends serving. I had family serving during Desert Storm- in fact, I was born and raised on a military base. If you know another fallen solider who loved anime and deserves a mention, by all means, tell ANN. Otherwise, leave those of us who do care about this stuff in peace.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5