• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2007-10-24

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Hmm... I've read a lot of webcomics, and many of them start out with medium-to-abysmal skills in the art department (some of them still suck pretty badly at drawing, even after years of practice -- but you stick with them for their charm). Many also start out with fourth-wall-breaking intros, very little story (and self-referential at that), etc., etc. But many of them have managed to be worthwhile despite these initial (or ongoing) shortcomings.

Dumping on a new webcomic after only a few pages isn't a sign of an unbiased approach. It's a sign that you're looking to find fault with the webcomic, to grind your own personal axe.

There's plenty of room for improvement, and it remains to be seen whether it will prove worthwhile in the long run (I would have suggested a short initial run to test the concept), but I think it's a fair start. Given the right approach and some artistic development, this could be good.

Hmm... time to reread all the old Phil and Dixie comics and reminisce....

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aki Ameko

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:17 pm Reply with quote
I rather liked it. It was cute and funny. Can't wait for more!
Armageddon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Reminds me of Nia from Gurren Lagann, cute Anime smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Cloe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:35 pm Reply with quote
From one artist to another, Congratulations, Robin!!! Very Happy

SUPER-cute. I can't wait for more. I present to you my congratulatory gift, Nina fanart!

May it be the first of many (and hopefully much higher quality, by people who aren't stuck drawing in Flash and being told to get back to work by their bosses)!

Congrats again, lady! You deserve it. <3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
LilacShadow

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:51 pm Reply with quote
I am surprised to see a comic here, but I think it's cute and pretty funny. I don't usually read webcomics, but I'll probably continue to read this one.

I also like the art. It's fitting for the comic, and the coloring is especially good.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Keeping true to my original post, here is a piece o' fan art, the second I believe since Cloe beat me to it. Wink

Last edited by Aromatic Grass on Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way, but I consider the comic to be...well...comic. From the art, the jokes, the way it carried itself, it all felt like stereotypical or satirical takes on the community, and its relatability makes it funny.

The only fault I find in the comic is that it exists, considering ANN strives to be professional and all.
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Lol, nice comic. It made me laugh. Even the art style made me laugh. (Not that it is bad, but it is "adorably funny")
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm not a big fan of web based comics, since I prefer longer more traditional narratives. It is nice to have Robin's artwork once again grace ANN. I miss seeing Jadress at the top of the page. Where did she disappear to after the holidays?

If anyone doubts Robin's skills as an artist you should check out her linked homepage. She is really talented in various styles and comes across as a solid professional artist.

I love that image you whipped up Cloe. You two should recruit Tony and all the other pro animators out there and form a studio:P
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:

The only fault I find in the comic is that it exists, considering ANN strives to be professional and all.

Newspapers have comics sections. The New Yorker has single-panel comics. Most magazines run a comic of some kind. It is not "unprofessional".
Losstarot

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:41 pm Reply with quote
I like it!
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Joe Mello wrote:

Newspapers have comics sections. The New Yorker has single-panel comics. Most magazines run a comic of some kind. It is not "unprofessional".

True, maybe it's an odd double standard I have. Although I wouldn't expect CNN to suddenly air funnies, though. Maybe it's just the impression I have of this site.
dizzcity

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:10 am Reply with quote
I liked it as well. Some jokes I couldn't really understand, but overall I found it pleasant. Is it just me, or do I detect Lucky Channel and Genshiken influences? Smile (In the first comic and third comics especially, it really looks as if Nina behaves like Kogami Akira)

-Dizzy-
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:16 am Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:

True, maybe it's an odd double standard I have. Although I wouldn't expect CNN to suddenly air funnies, though. Maybe it's just the impression I have of this site.

Well, we're not a 24-hour news TV channel, though, we're a publication with many pages rather than a stream of continuous programming. I believe there's a distinction; a newspaper can say clearly "this is the comics page", while a news channel can't just suddenly air a comedy program.

That's my take on it anyway.
cardcaptormanda

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:19 am Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:

Even though I'm not a fan of the comic, and feel it does take away some of the professionalism of the site (which I couldn't care less about anyway, as long as ANN delivers the news as well as it always has and my favorite columns stick around), especially given the "there's 100 other web-comics just like it" feel of it...have you ever seen CNN's Jeanne Moos? The stories she covers, and the way she covers them, are deliberately funny. The whole purpose of her segments is to get a laugh out of the viewer. Not the same thing as a comedy skit or something similar, but a spot of silly, sometimes off-color humor in CNN's otherwise serious reporting, very much like this comic is a spot of humor in the middle of all the "serious stuff" ANN does.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6