• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2007-10-24

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:36 am Reply with quote
I see Joe's point, but obviously I agree with Zac on this (otherwise I wouldn't have approved the idea).

Another difference worth noting, is that with ANN, a magazine, or a newspaper, you can chose to skip the comic pages. With linear TV you can only view what they are showing NOW (unless of course you change the channel).

-t
Tortoiseshell Tabby Girl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:39 am Reply with quote
Well, the introduction of this comic strip was certainly a pleasant surprise! I sure didn't see this coming. I'll definitely keep reading it, as I love reading, comics, anime, and manga and they all happen to be rolled into one in the Anime News Nina comic strip. It's like having a Sunday comic strip when it's not Sunday; a special, colorful treat for the week!

As for specifics that I liked, I loved the coloring and found the artwork pleasing to the eye. Nothing made me laugh out loud yet, but I was definitely amused. I wished that the strips could be a little larger because I couldn't quite read everything (even when I put my face close to the screen, bravely risking my eyesight all for the sake of catching the details Wink ), but if they can't be any bigger, then what will be will be. I thought Nina was adorable because she's clueless about anime and it's funny to see her discovering its fun points along with its not so fun points. I could defintely picture her in a version of "Anime for Dummies." Her Anime News Network dress is awesome, too. Great Design. And I love her hair. It's nice, white, flowing hair that just catches my eye. And for some reason I like white or silver hair on young characters... Oh, and I like Kevin's design, too, especially his glasses and eyebrows. I know a lot of anime fans wear glasses (including me) and his eyebrows just make his character design unique to me, for some reason. Laughing And I love Nina's kitty mouth in the third strip. Anime catgrin

In the second strip, I can figure out that one person is cosplaying as Sakura and another person is Sephiroth, but who is the person with the green hair cosplaying as? Just pure curiosity on my part.

So far, this comic strip actually reminds me of the funny and silly parts in the Dramacon...what did they decide to call Ameri-manga? Is it world manga? Wah, I can't remember... Eh, I think I'll just call it Dramacon and leave it at that. Anime smile + sweatdrop

Great job, Robin!
Elves

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:44 am Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:

The only fault I find in the comic is that it exists, considering ANN strives to be professional and all.

I admit, I was thinking this too. But...

Zac wrote:
Newspapers have comics sections. The New Yorker has single-panel comics. Most magazines run a comic of some kind. It is not "unprofessional".

That is true. I hadn't thought of it that way. I'm glad you pointed that out. I retract my previous train of thought.

My impression of the comic? First off, I so didn't see this coming as an addition to ANN - so it was quite a shock, and could have lead to my initial negativity towards its. Secondly, the comic did make me chuckle in all three strips, so that's a good sign. Now that I'm able to use hind-sight as 20/20; I like it. The comic is a good casual read, and I'll give it many more strips before passing final judgement on whether it's awesome or just mediocre. I will add it to my weekly column reading list at ANN. I'm looking forward to more!
Steroid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:47 am Reply with quote
Good comic, well drawn, and I like how it puts several punchlines in each strip.

But can someone explain to me why the cosplay divas in #2 ran away? Are cosplayers known to be scared of real-life elves?

I do want to get a T-shirt like the dracoon has, though.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:10 am Reply with quote
Steroid wrote:
But can someone explain to me why the cosplay divas in #2 ran away? Are cosplayers known to be scared of real-life elves?

Flake of the Week, Answerman, Feb 2, 2007.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Jadress

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:34 am Reply with quote
Wow cute fanart already?! Anime hyper Cloe and AromaticGrass, you guys rock. Thanks to Randall and everyone for the kind words and I hope to keep you guys entertained, if not only for a tiny diversion each week.

Tortoiseshell- The green-haired cosplayer was just supposed to be a generic gothic lolita/j-rock/maid-esque cosplayer, which there seems to be no shortage of (at least, in my observations).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
archaron

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:00 am Reply with quote
Nice job Robin I enjoyed your comic. Keep up the nice work.
MJP

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:00 pm Reply with quote
cardcaptormanda wrote:
Honestly, I can't say I liked it.

I have no problem with ANN running a web comic, but this was pretty lame and the jokes fell totally flat, and Nina is unlikable and cliche.

The art was average. Being seriously artistically challenged myself, I can't say anything negative about it without feeling hypocritical, so I'll just leave it at that.

But I'll give this the benefit of the doubt. Sometimes it takes a while for things like this to get going. It could get good in time. For all I know, a few months from now, I'll be laughing my head off and looking forward to these. For now though, I'm definitely not feeling it.

Pretty much sums up my feelings entirely... I didn't care one way or the other about a comic, so it's not a make-or-break deal for me. I read ANN for the articles (and since there's no sexy pinups, I can say that in all honesty!) and for the news, so I don't mind the comic being on the site. If it gets funnier, I'd look forward to more. I do read and enjoy Dramacon for what that is, so I don't mind the satirical look at American otakudom and think that there needs to be more of it (the satire aspect).

This could be good, the art style is fine to me but the story is just basic stuff right now. I could see it getting better. As long as it doesn't become constant in-joking and self-reference (PVP, I'm looking in your direction) it could be OK.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:25 pm Reply with quote
I don't make a habit of following webcomics, but this one looked fine to me and should be fun to look at every once in awhile while browsing the site.
NGE1113

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Not bad at all. In fact, I liked it quite a bit. I'll be looking forward to it next Wednesday.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Well, its not great but its cute and amusing and overall decent. Webcomics generally start off mediocre or downright bad and get better (or just stop...) and I figure the same will hold true here. Penny Arcade didn't start off great and some of the early strips were pretty bad. Besides, these strips were more general elements of the fandom while these types of strips tend to be better, in my opinion, when its a bit more specific. In any case, I'll be keeping up with this and see where things go.

And I really don't understand how ANN having a comic hurts its "professionalism." I might be able to understand if it was Chris or Zac making the webcomic, maybe, but Robin doesn't do anything else for the site so I don't see how its any different than a newspaper's comic section.
coolGAL

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Funny and cute comic God I envy those who can draw like that. p.s. NINA IS TOOOOOOO CUTE.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Hiryu77

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:49 pm Reply with quote
I've seen quite a number of webcomics...and this is actually pretty nice so far. I like the style Robin draws. I look forward to future issues.
Roy9076

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Cute.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6