• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyopop's Blu Yaoi Imprint Raises Prices to US$12.99

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:57 am Reply with quote
They're also smaller than most of the other yaoi manga. The story I've heard elsewhere is Blu also plans on inserting more of the color pages (which CMX seems to have inserted into Seimaden at $9.99)
minakichan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:24 am Reply with quote
Hm. Why ARE yaoi titles packaged differently? Like the book size is always bigger. Is it so they can get more detail in on the sex scenes? *I made that up, that so doesn't make sense*

Well, it does make it stand out from the other manga, so people who know to avoid them can. *shrug*
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:40 am Reply with quote
I'm older (47) so I come from a generation that expected to pay more for smut. (Pay for sins?)

However, the original anthologies these titles run in are over-sized. B-Rash, Chara Collection & several SMALLER titles are the same size as the DMP titles. THe fatter ones like BeXBoy which offer a chapter or 2 & some 500 pages are larger still as are Shonen Jump, etc. Comic Zero-Sum that Saiyuki Reload runs in is closer to 8X10 (I don't happen to have one with me to measure) so the original art is decidedly larger than graphic novel size.
Terrestrial_Cel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:28 am Reply with quote
I like that Boys' Love is packaged more authentically than other domestic manga. Well for the most part... The last Blu title I purchased was Just My Luck which was the same size as other manga and had no extra sleeve or color art =/ I hope this isn't the majority of cases for blu!
sakura_r0se

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:52 pm Reply with quote
I don't read yaoi, but I do love how they usually come packaged in slightly larger sizes and come w/ dust jackets.
geishageek

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I don't read yaoi, but I do love how they usually come packaged in slightly larger sizes and come w/ dust jackets.

Only June, DramaQueen and 801 Media come with dust jackets. Be Beautiful, Duetto, Blu, Boysenberry, and Kitty Media do not. I also wish more companies would do collectors boxes for finished series like the Yellow box.

I do not mind the price hick as most other companies are up around there. I mostly order from Amazon and I usually get it a few bucks cheaper than the listed price anyway.
Toshirodragon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:10 pm Reply with quote
After the painted in underpants in Man's Best Friend and the black and white, badly cropped scans of the color pics in Love Pistols, raising the price comes as no surprise...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1