• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNual Pumpkin Carving Contest

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cow-Boy_Be-Bop

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:59 pm Reply with quote
WOW. Thi is one of the best years I would have to say. Usually there are a bunch of average ones and a few exceptional good ones but wow, like 90% of them had a strong winning chance. Well in my opinion at least. and 3 Haruhi's? I would say I <3 Jenna singleton's. That must have taken FOREVER. and the cucumber one kinda made me laugh because a it was a cucumber and not a pumpkin. Or maybe it was a zucchini? I don't know. I think this year there is going to be alot of debating at the judges table!
charlie_l

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Wow. Those pumpkins look great!

For me, it was hard to pick a favourite and I had a number of ones I'd consider for the best.

...That is until I scrolled further down and saw the xxxHolic pumpkin. It has incredible detail! Plus, it helps that it's my favourite manga.
germfree

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:41 pm Reply with quote
I adore Feytaline's pumpkin.
It's almost too cute for words. Anime smile
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:06 am Reply with quote
Double post

Last edited by shirokiryuu on Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:07 am; edited 1 time in total
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:07 am Reply with quote
Cow-Boy_Be-Bop wrote:
WOW. Thi is one of the best years I would have to say. Usually there are a bunch of average ones and a few exceptional good ones but wow, like 90% of them had a strong winning chance. Well in my opinion at least. and 3 Haruhi's? I would say I <3 Jenna singleton's. That must have taken FOREVER. and the cucumber one kinda made me laugh because a it was a cucumber and not a pumpkin. Or maybe it was a zucchini? I don't know. I think this year there is going to be alot of debating at the judges table!

LOL Actually it's a zucchini Anime hyperD I never submitted in hopes of winning at all, but seemed like something fun to try. ^___^

I asked first though, since one of the rules was that it had to be a "real pumpkin" but actually it was refering to the fact you couldn't use foam pumpkins.

Although this year there were a lot less entries, I have to admit there are so many spectacular ones. I'm so jealous Anime hyper
Lucca_Ashtear

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:54 am Reply with quote
Wow! I am completely in awe, I've seen some great pumpkins in the past but never so many at once, these submissions are outstanding! I feel sorry for the judge/s, I know I would be completely indecisive (at least there's five winners). I'm still trying to figure out exactly how the shaded effect on the second pumpkin (Hellgirl?) was achieved.
feytaline

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:55 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The Hell Girl one is amazing, and I love the EVA one because of the eyes, but my absolute favorite is Haro. Definitely deserves extra points for originality.

Quote:
I adore Feytaline's pumpkin.
It's almost too cute for words. Anime smile

Eek! Thank you guys so much! That just made my night.

I love my Haro pumpkin. I still think he's adorable even though he's kind of molding a little bit on my porch now... I'm going to miss him. I dedicated him to my friend Terranell who collects Haros, even though I couldn't exactly transport him to her apartment.
There are always so many amazingly detailed artistic entries but I guess my mind works in a slightly different way (read: I'm insane.)

My favorites are of course Jenna Singleton's xxxHOLiC... but I'm biased. I'm such a huge fan.

And mad props to AisuruMirai for using green light! Ideally I wanted to carve an army of Haros with all different colored lights, but, you know, reality kind of kills dreams...

I'd also like to call attention to Rider G. The art might be simple, but it's really clean and well done!

And speaking of cute, did anyone else notice Elizabeth Unrein's adorable one?

I'm so glad they have this contest. Pumpkin is a fun medium to work in. And tasty, too.
Pitargo Nats

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:18 am Reply with quote
I loved the Haro pumpkin, but I love Gundam so I'm a bit biased there. They all look really good. Good luck to all that entered.
Michael_Hearn

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:35 am Reply with quote
WOW! So many good entries this year. I'm going to have to hone my skill and bring my A-game next year.
Kudos to everyone who entered, great job to all.
bleuster

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:06 am Reply with quote
Even on a pumpkin, F.O.E.!

Many of those turned out to be very cool.
Maybe I'll do something next year with Yotsuba.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jadress

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:03 am Reply with quote
Wow! Awesome entries this year- congrats to everyone! There are too many amazing ones to name all my favorites... gah, I'd have a hard time judging because there are so many good ones. I do have to say, the Haydee zuccini does make me happy, just because it's weird and cute and I'm obsessed with Haydee.

The Advent Children pumpkin- how the hell did you carve it that cleanly? LASERS?? Anime hyper
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Ceru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:12 am Reply with quote
Maybe I'm just cynical but I have to agree with whoever said, "were ALL of these really carved?". In particular the second one is almost too good to be true. If it was carved though, major props to the artist and I'd love to know what tools you used! All I had for mine was the standard 3-dollar pumpkin carving tools (a big knife and a littler knife). I thought mine turned out rather well given that I had simple tools and didn't use a marker, but after seeing the entries I fully admit defeat. I'm so out of the anime loop I don't recognize a good deal of the series but the one near the bottom with the CRAZY DETAIL (is that the XXXholic everyone's talking about?) should be an EASY first place. Good lawd.

And no I'm not saying which pumpkin is mine. Razz
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Ceru wrote:
Maybe I'm just cynical but I have to agree with whoever said, "were ALL of these really carved?".

All of the entrants sent pictures of the pumpkin in the daylight. They were definitely all carved. Smile
Akukame

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:42 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Ceru wrote:
Maybe I'm just cynical but I have to agree with whoever said, "were ALL of these really carved?".

All of the entrants sent pictures of the pumpkin in the daylight. They were definitely all carved. Smile

I had no doubt in my mind they were carved. Personally, I'm more interested in what they were carved with Anime hyper

I've heard linoleum cutters are great for carving with. Perhaps those?

Personally I've always used a letter opener and a pairing knife for nearly the entire pumpkin every year.
MokonaModoki

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Ugh.

I hate artistically talented people. It's such a burden having to resent the skill and hard work of others.

These people should all be rounded up and forced into indentured servitude.

Decorating my home, for example.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7