• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNual Pumpkin Carving Contest

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Akukame wrote:
SakechanBD wrote:
Ceru wrote:
Maybe I'm just cynical but I have to agree with whoever said, "were ALL of these really carved?".

All of the entrants sent pictures of the pumpkin in the daylight. They were definitely all carved. Smile

I had no doubt in my mind they were carved. Personally, I'm more interested in what they were carved with Anime hyper

I've heard linoleum cutters are great for carving with. Perhaps those?

Personally I've always used a letter opener and a pairing knife for nearly the entire pumpkin every year.

In one of my undergrad engineering classes, we had an engraver we'd always used to play with in class. It was basically a vibrating needle that we used on various gourds. You could probably make some sick designs with that.
evilnekohilda

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:01 pm Reply with quote
The XXXholic pumpkins from Jenna Singleton are gorgeous :O
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
irishninja

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Wow! Those all look great. Well done, everyone! Smile
RiderG

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:43 pm Reply with quote
feytaline wrote:

I'd also like to call attention to Rider G. The art might be simple, but it's really clean and well done!

Jadress wrote:
The Advent Children pumpkin- how the hell did you carve it that cleanly? LASERS?? Anime hyper

thanks very much. i only heard about the contest last minute so i just grabbed what i could find: a 1" curved blade/knife, and a really thin, needle like... ice pick or something, i dunno i found it in my dad's tool box XP.
as for being clean cut... i guess i just picked a big enough pumpkin lol

what blows me away is all the different shading techniques that people used. that never crossed my mind and the way it comes out is just gorgeous!

examples i have to give shout outs to for style and technique - (and i'm embarrased because i don't know the names on a lot of these)
AisuruMirai (damn! this is my favorite)
Emily
Henna
Justin Kittler
(hellsing)
Stephanie Kurniawan (a zuccini! Anime hyper)
Jordan M. (champloo)
Colleen Nash
Jenna Singleton

this year's definitely a cut above the rest. very impressive everybody!
Talon87

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm a sucker for cute things, so Feytaline's would be my pick for best Jack-o-Lantern for this year. Smile So cute!

As for best "art project," though, I guess I would have to say the Jigoku Shoujo one up top. It's not as intricate as some of the others, but it's a lot cleaner than some of the fellow intricates and yet it's still intricate, and that takes a lot of talent. That, and I love how eerie it would be to have that sitting out on one's porch for the trick-or-treaters to look at.
Ceru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Although I find the marker ones pretty, I have to say that I'm way more impressed by everyone who didn't use a marker and still made it look awesome. Shout outs in particular to...

Allie L
Floo
Kate Bernd
Rider G
Tiffany Manning
Travis Carter

You guys all get my super thumbs up! Very HappyVery HappyVery HappyVery Happy
(at least I don't THINK you used marker....)
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:54 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:

I had no doubt in my mind they were carved. Personally, I'm more interested in what they were carved with Anime hyper

I've heard linoleum cutters are great for carving with. Perhaps those?

Personally I've always used a letter opener and a pairing knife for nearly the entire pumpkin every year.

[/quote]

Although mine was far from impressive, I used wood carving tools, because last years winner said they work the best. Unfortunately the zuccini was my first time using them ever. They work a lot better than past years when I used the cheap plastic pumpkin sets (because I was so cheap I reused the old dull ones every year).
e-imi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Confused

Not to be a downer or anything, but that Kodomo no Jikan one is so totally 'shopped. Just stare at it, it doesn't go with the contours of the pumpkin.

And I'm totally envious of many of the pumpkins.

My personal favorite would be Haro because you can see the effort and thought the person put into it. It also seems like they used the same normal pumpkin carving tools (maybe a kitchen knife too) as everyone else.

But the one's that are so intricate (xxxHolic and Mushishi) are totally done with lasers/engraver. Really, I think they're in their own catagory because no one can compete with the preciseness of a laser. I really don't think it makes the contest equal. Confused

That just my two cents.
SkinTheSun1251

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Ceru wrote:
Travis Carter

You guys all get my super thumbs up! Very HappyVery HappyVery HappyVery Happy
(at least I don't THINK you used marker....)

Thanks! No, no marker here. Just many loooooooong hours with a wood chisel. LONG.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:44 pm Reply with quote
e-imi wrote:
Confused

Not to be a downer or anything, but that Kodomo no Jikan one is so totally 'shopped. Just stare at it, it doesn't go with the contours of the pumpkin.

I hate to be a downer on your conspiracy theory, but that thing was definitely done on a pumpkin. The entrant sent in an image of the pumpkin in the daylight.

Quote:

But the one's that are so intricate (xxxHolic and Mushishi) are totally done with lasers/engraver. Really, I think they're in their own catagory because no one can compete with the preciseness of a laser. I really don't think it makes the contest equal. Confused

I don't really understand comments like this. Where in the world is someone going to get a laser?
SkinTheSun1251

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:55 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:

I don't really understand comments like this. Where in the world is someone going to get a laser?

I think they're probably in the Soviet Union. During the Cold War. They're Cold War era pumpkins. Yup.

But seriously, I think you can probably do all that stuff with some chisels and decent knives if you put the time into it. Not me personally, but I'm sure someone could.
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:01 am Reply with quote
Although I wonder how people can do such complex designs. I always draw a template first, but that's okay for simple designs. I'm curious how people do really complex images with fine lines.
Michael_Hearn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:01 am Reply with quote
e-imi wrote:

I guess I'm glad you think it looks good enough to be 'shopped but it really is just a pumpkin carving. I didn't have much time so I did it really fast...I can see lots of mistakes and ways I would have done it better. I wanted to do all three characters in the same pose but... time just wasn't on my side.
taggy666

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:07 am Reply with quote
I like Tristan Gerrits' FLCL Canti pumkin. It's crazy detailed and no markers! keeping it old school ands pure Smile hope he wins!

PS - FLCL KICKS MAJOR PORTIONS OF BUTT
AisuruMirai

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:19 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad some of you like my pumpkins. They took a really long time. Lasers, by the way, are very expensive, but, hey, if you really wanna win something.... What can I say?

So why do I have to lose EVERY YEAR??? I have no chance against Jenna Singleton! Or Justin Kittler (Hellsing)! & Colleen Nash? Again?? I'm getting a better laser for next year! Seriously!

& by the way, Stephanie Kurniawan wasn't the only one to carve something other than a pumpkin. My Mushishi entry was carved on two honeydew melons. I really wish I'd planned it better & spent more time with it. It had a lot of promise but ended up too sloppy, in my opinion. Carving a honeydew is not easy. Next year: Lasered papaya!!!

& I wanted to ask about some of the entries--what anime are they from:
Kate Bernd's 2nd entry
Tiffany Manns's
Lia Masters's
Person Man's (both of them)
Angelica's
spunkyK101's
Anna Park's
Stanley Torok's

Thanks!

じゃ、
アイスル未来
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7