• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNual Pumpkin Carving Contest

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
population_tire

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:12 pm Reply with quote
imo the grand prize winner was boring, but the others were great.
RiderG

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Crying or Very sad
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:59 pm Reply with quote
I disagree that it was boring. Yeah, it wasn't as detailed as some of the other ones, but technically, it was amazing. I challenge you to duplicate it.
RiderG

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:59 pm Reply with quote
thank you. Anime catgrin
Michael_Hearn

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:00 pm Reply with quote
population_tire wrote:

SakechanBD wrote:
I disagree that it was boring.

I also disagree... For a classic style carving this was amazing. Crisp edges and good use of negative space. It reminds me of my 2005 entry but a much better exposure on the picture and obviously a different anime character. animenewsnetwork.com/images/CONTEST/66/mhearn_eclair.JPG
Carving completely through this way is probably harder than the other style of just etching into the pumpkin. Places such as the eyes and the curve of the nose were probably difficult to cut without breaking them or making them too thin that they wouldn't stand on their own. All in all a very deserving win imo.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Michael_Hearn wrote:
population_tire wrote:

SakechanBD wrote:
I disagree that it was boring.

I also disagree... For a classic style carving this was amazing. Crisp edges and good use of negative space. It reminds me of my 2005 entry but a much better exposure on the picture and obviously a different anime character. animenewsnetwork.com/images/CONTEST/66/mhearn_eclair.JPG
Carving completely through this way is probably harder than the other style of just etching into the pumpkin. Places such as the eyes and the curve of the nose were probably difficult to cut without breaking them or making them too thin that they wouldn't stand on their own. All in all a very deserving win imo.

Completely agree. I carve with the negative space idea myself, and have ruined several designs by trying to carve too thin I thought RiderG's pumpkin was quite nice, and deserves the win.

Not to say the others were bad. It's just a different technique, and probably equally as difficult with its own set of challenges.
feytaline

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:41 pm Reply with quote
PUMPKIN CARVING IS SERIOUS BUSINESS. j/k but reading through this thread, I had no idea people put that much thought into critiquing these. It's great that people have so much fun producing such beautiful results, but try not to take it so seriously with laser and photoshop conspiracy theories, it's just for fun!

Congratulations to the winners! I really think everyone did a fabulous job and honestly just seeing mine up on the webpage made me very happy. Cause he's adorable. Anime hyper

Quote:
My personal favorite would be Haro because you can see the effort and thought the person put into it. It also seems like they used the same normal pumpkin carving tools (maybe a kitchen knife too) as everyone else.

Steak knife FTW. And one of those cheap pumpkin knives that come in the kits you can get at Wal-mart. I really never thought about using anything else, but now that it's been mentioned, I DO have a very nice set of clay tools just sitting around...

I'm already thinking about next year... what other mascot characters are cute and round? Or maybe I can do what I originally wanted to do--an army of Haro pumpkins! We'll just have to wait and see!
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:24 pm Reply with quote
There isn't anything left to say on this other than "congrats to the winners", so locking this up.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7