• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Adult Swim Announces New Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kyo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 1:09 pm Reply with quote
I think that it might indeed be Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. I mean, why would they air the movie? Not to mention that it has a fair amount of nudity and I don't think it's AS worthy. However, Stand Alone Complex would make a wonderful air, in my opinion.
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Keep in mind, this list is likely only tentative and there's nothing keeping them from adding to it later. These are only the titles that they have contracts with (if they were still working on the contracts then they probably wouldn't have air dates for them.) There's nothing at all keeping them from adding to the list later, we're talking 12 months here, a lot can change.

BTW, I'm kinda excited about them getting Sweet J, I'm sure it'll be another one of their 15minute series. For those who don't know what Sweet J is, it's a project done by Seth Green, with some help from the folks at ToyFare magazine, where he uses action figures to make stop motion animation. The first one they did was done for Late Night with Conan O'Brien as part of Sony Screenblast where Seth and Conan take on Britney Spears at a convention. After that I don't know what happened to the project, but I'm really looking forward to that one, I'm sure there's a few liceneses that would need to be worked out first since they use actual action figures you can pick up at any toy store.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
okendri

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
The shows mentioned are all well and good, although that does leave out some things. Ninja Scroll, Gundam SEED, and the like are all pushed back to 2005, if they air at all. (Don't bother saying Toonami, Bandai and Cartoon Network are done with airing even teen shows on Toonami. After Kenshin failed.)

I don't think Cn had any plans to air Ninja Scroll and Seed may just end up on Toonami since this is Bandai's big relaunch for the Gundam franchise, they would want it to have a prime viewing slot which would be toonami.
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Kenshin didn't really fail it was just getting the wrong demographic age this was said in an interview by someone who works at Cartoon Network.

Well there were five rumor shows to appear on Adult Swim 3 out of those 5 became true the other two that were not picked up are Zeta and Vandread. Maybe those two titles will be pick up later on late next year.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 4:08 pm Reply with quote
okendri wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:
The shows mentioned are all well and good, although that does leave out some things. Ninja Scroll, Gundam SEED, and the like are all pushed back to 2005, if they air at all. (Don't bother saying Toonami, Bandai and Cartoon Network are done with airing even teen shows on Toonami. After Kenshin failed.)

I don't think Cn had any plans to air Ninja Scroll and Seed may just end up on Toonami since this is Bandai's big relaunch for the Gundam franchise, they would want it to have a prime viewing slot which would be toonami.

Why would Bandai give up on Toonami because Kenshin failed? Kenshin is Media Blasters property, not Bandai. Anyway, I'm still kinda on the fence on the whole "Gundam Relaunch" thing. Sure, they may throw SEED on Toonami and Zeta on Adult Swim, but to be honest, I don't think they will. Zeta is a direct sequel to the original series, and is also a fairly old 80s anime. Those are two strikes against it right away, MSG and old anime in general are big ratings failures for the network. So I doubt Cartoon Network will be all that jazzed about giving Zeta a run. SEED is a wildcard, as it could easily fit on Adult Swim, or go on Toonami with a healthy amount of editing (look, I don't care how much of a kids show it was in Japan, it doesn't fit the hyper-paranoid level of censorship required for Toonami, okay?). And there are still a bunch of SD Gundam variants they could feed into Toonami as well.

So there are several avenues they could pursue here. They could get ballsy and give Zeta a chance with SEED on Toonami, or they could just put SEED on both like they did with Wing (even though that was Midnight Run, it's essentially the same cut/uncut principle), or they could try SEED on Adult Swim and some new SD Gundam season on Toonami.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
herbkir

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 4:31 pm Reply with quote
The list they ran isn't all-inclusive. For instance, the cards didn't mention the 52 new Inuyasha episodes that AS has said will be run sometime during 2004. Still, one new anime for certain and 2 other good new shows as probable isn't bad. (^_*)
Swordfish_II

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 7:05 pm Reply with quote
I thought Toonami was trying to stay away from some of the more mature themed shows to try to keep the audience in the 6-11 range. I believe I read in an interview somewhere that the average viewer age was higher during some of the Gundam series.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Swordfish_II wrote:
I thought Toonami was trying to stay away from some of the more mature themed shows to try to keep the audience in the 6-11 range. I believe I read in an interview somewhere that the average viewer age was higher during some of the Gundam series.

Well, given how they moved Kenshin to the Saturday slot, let the rights to Outlaw Star, Gundam (Wing, 08th), & Tenchi rot away, and loaded the block down with more kiddy-type shows like Zoids & SD Gundam, that makes a lot of sense.

Still, I always get shouted at when I so much as suggest the possibility of non-Zeta Gundam on Adult Swim. So now I just smile, nod, and move on. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
okendri

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Swordfish_II wrote:

Well, given how they moved Kenshin to the Saturday slot, let the rights to Outlaw Star, Gundam (Wing, 08th), & Tenchi rot away, and loaded the block down with more kiddy-type shows like Zoids & SD Gundam, that makes a lot of sense.

Still, I always get shouted at when I so much as suggest the possibility of non-Zeta Gundam on Adult Swim. So now I just smile, nod, and move on. Confused

You wouldn't be talking about me would you? Razz
Why would they keep the rights to those shows though. They have overplayed them enough and they would have to rebuy the rights to each of those series which could go to newer series. Anyway we don't want those to become another DBZ or Cowboy Bebop do we. Wink

IMO the reason SEED will end up on toonami is because of the similarity to Wing with the overpowered gundam and hectic action especially in the later episodes. Most of the edits needed for the series are blood related and what could be editted out is just overtop fanservice. Of course there is that scene and it presents some problems which will cause the fanboys to howl, but in the end it won't matter since the dvds will be unedited.

Zeta's age presents a problem since Lupin III failed on AS due to its age, but at the same time CN is airing Knight of the Zodiac which is from the same time period. Maybe Bandai could offer a package deal with Seed and Zeta at a discount price. There is always Techtv as an option since I'm sure they would like such a high profile title.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 10:05 pm Reply with quote
okendri wrote:
Why would they keep the rights to those shows though. They have overplayed them enough and they would have to rebuy the rights to each of those series which could go to newer series.

Gundam Wing was a real ratings grabber in its day (beat out new episodes of DBZ even). And given how long of a hiatus they put it on, had they brought it back (with a bit of advertising...they seem to be having a problem with that lately), fans would have reacted very positively, I think.

And yes, they did bring it back briefly in like...2001. But they did so with zero advertising, so nobody really knew it was there until it was too late.
okendri

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Can't comment on how Wing did when they brought it back since I didn't get Cn until August of 2001. Don't you think it was time for CN to move on?
the_redstar_swl

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 3:32 am Reply with quote
its all good baby!

but CN will edit it alot(jive turky(un cool))
arxane

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 3:03 pm Reply with quote
the_redstar_swl wrote:
but CN will edit it alot(jive turky(un cool))

This isn't Toonami. And let me point out a little show called "FLCL" that aired with only two actual edits on Cartoon Network.
phazei

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 4:25 pm Reply with quote
okendri wrote:
Anyway we don't want those to become another DBZ or Cowboy Bebop do we. Wink

What the h*ll are you thinking mentioning DBZ with Cowboy Bebop? Bebop was an excelent series and in no way what-so-ever compares to DBZ. Now, I don't watch cartoon network all that often and havn't watched anime on it so I wouldn't know if they butchered it with poor dubbing or perhaps there's something else I don't know, but I'd like to know what you were thinking in saying that.
Izlude

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 5:31 pm Reply with quote
[quote="KURIous"]
GATSU wrote:
Don't feel like paying for 52 eps of GITS that's closer to Shirow's manga when he can't even make one chapter worth reading

Wha!? BAKA! -slams Gatsu in the head with 100 ton mallet-

Shirow is a genius storyteller and artistic simpleton minds like you could never perchieve unless animated into a sexy and glossy anime Smile

[quote="KURIous"]
GATSU wrote:
I'm always skeptical of Cartoon Network with Anime (hell Sean Atkins doesn't even know the definiton of Anime and Manga).

Hmmm whats your definiton of anime and manga? Everyones got one...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3