• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere (TV, both seasons).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:19 pm Reply with quote
There's one thing that really stood out to me about this anime's protagonist that many people didn't seem to notice.

He really reminds me of Sugisaki Ken from Seitokai no Ichizon...and he's one of the FIRST protagonist in a non-hentai anime to have perverted thoughts, AND grab a female character's boobs intentionally.

Seriously, I can't think of any other male protagonist who grabbed a pair intentionally. Every other anime I watch often have this kind of stuff happen on purpose, either the guy or the girl trips on the other. And in this show, the guy just cheerily laughs and turns around as though nothing happens. Laughing

Only thing that irritated me was the random censorship...nothing was exposed, and it was just a breast grab.

It takes a special kind of ass hole to censor something like that.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Gingin wrote:
There's one thing that really stood out to me about this anime's protagonist that many people didn't seem to notice.

He really reminds me of Sugisaki Ken from Seitokai no Ichizon...and he's one of the FIRST protagonist in a non-hentai anime to have perverted thoughts, AND grab a female character's boobs intentionally.

Seriously, I can't think of any other male protagonist who grabbed a pair intentionally. Every other anime I watch often have this kind of stuff happen on purpose, either the guy or the girl trips on the other. And in this show, the guy just cheerily laughs and turns around as though nothing happens. Laughing

Only thing that irritated me was the random censorship...nothing was exposed, and it was just a breast grab.

It takes a special kind of ass hole to censor something like that.

Hmm I didn't realize but that is a pretty good comparison. I can already tell he is going to be my favorite character.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Hah-AH, sexual abuse is terrific.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TheSwedishElf

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:53 am Reply with quote
Gingin wrote:

Ah yes, sexual harrassment, how awesome and funny and refreshing!

Oh wait, no it's not.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:57 am Reply with quote
Gingin wrote:

A change from the fall into the girls chest that we see normally is always welcome.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
killmyself

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:03 pm Reply with quote
I had really low expectations for this but after watching the first episode it has the potential to be terrigreat.
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Ah yes, sexual harrassment, how awesome and funny and refreshing!

This is why anime is so great! How often do you see western cartoon having fun with this outside of Southpark? Smile

I also recommend Kanokon for girl on shota harassment.
Botan24

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:39 pm Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
So far it looks like a show put together by a Merchandising team looking to push product. Some call it dumb fun, I would go further and say the first episode was down right stupid. I don't think I'll be watching this series. I've had plenty of people tell me stuff about shows like "wait until episode 10 then it all gets really good!" or "wait until chapter 50 in the manga then it gets awesome!" Sorry, if I gotta wait that long then its a fail.

That pretty much sums up my feelings. This could have been a lot better executed. I still don't quite understand the premise of the story. And at this point, I don't really care. I consider myself a fair enough individual to give a show at least five or six episodes before I throw in the towel. But I don't do well with a show that throws a zillion characters at me. The story is taking long enough to figure out, without the chore of remembering who all these people are, and what they can do. Give me complex storyline with a few well rounded characters any day over this mumbo-jumbo.

Okay, I'll add something positive. The action scenes were smooth. I loved how the instructor/teacher never stopped moving. Even when attacked, she blocked and kept going. The camera angles were especially nice and they really emphasized the flow of movement.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Botan,

As far as I can tell, the premise boils down to this: in the future, things went Wrong and Bad Things Happened. Earth became inhabitable and we had leave.

Tiime passed.

Bad Things Happened where we went up in Space, and we had to come back. For some reason, only one place on Earth was livable: Japan! And now, the Powers That Be decided that they would start over by re-enacting Japanese history. Only now it has for some reason stopped! Yes, stopped, *just* before those evil Westerners showed up and tainted the purity of Japan and caused everything to go wrong! This time, they'll do it right, with no Westerners messing up the works, and all will be well!

Okay, I'm not sure how accurate that last bit is, but that's the impression I got from reading what's been said and the synopsis. Warring States Era with magic that can be explained away as super-advanced tech, and of course school kids that have Crazy Powers(tm) by which they will Restore Japan... er... I mean Save the World!

Yeah, if you can't tell, I'm not very impressed.
Botan24

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:18 pm Reply with quote
@ Tuor_of_Gondolin

Thanks for giving me your conclusions. I'd have to say that what you have boiled down sounds about right. Although, in actuality, the story still sucks even when explained so I know what is going on. And, I am, still unimpressed.
TheSwedishElf

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Gingin wrote:
This is why anime is so great!

No, it's one of the things making anime worse year after year. Sexual harrassment and assault is not cool, it's not funny, it's not charming, it's not a big joke. It's a very serious real-life issue and shows like this cheapen it into some sort of gag or fanservice device.
killmyself

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:07 pm Reply with quote
The setting is convoluted and awful and the supporting cast is exorbitant and worthless. What could save this show is that the first episode leads me to believe that whoever wrote it understands that and made it that way just to be an ass. It will probably trudge forward ignoring all of those aspects and mainly focus the plot around the protagonists journey and less than a handful of other characters.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2. Toori is just a funny character. His smug looks makes it even funnier. I wonder who Toori is talking about when confessing to Horizon? I think it might be either that doll who sings or the vice president.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:32 pm Reply with quote
I think I'd probably enjoy this show if I could get my hands on a decent sub of it. Unfortunately, as a Canadian citizen, I don't have access to AoD's legit sub and the streaming aggregator I use isn't using the AoD rips. It's clearly being fansubbed by somebody for whom English isn't even a second language - seems more like a fourth or fifth. Guess I'll have to wait until this comes out on DVD.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:27 pm Reply with quote
@Blood-, I was pretty sure TAN was for North American viewers... Oh, and the fansub you watched, I can totally understand what you mean - it was funny to laugh at.

I found characters and their interactions to be the best parts of the show. The information is slowly revealing itself but I could care less about it - despite how I find it interesting. The protagonist and his sister are fabulous in their own ways. The smug they both have is just awesome. The plot may be messy but there's the PLOT to entertain me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9