• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere (TV, both seasons).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, interesting ... I assumed TAN's online player only worked for US subscribers, much like Funi's suckfest does.
TheSwedishElf

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:30 pm Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
His smug looks makes it even funnier.

Personally, I see it less as smug and more as dopey or perhaps stoned.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:50 am Reply with quote
TheSwedishElf wrote:
Gingin wrote:
This is why anime is so great!

No, it's one of the things making anime worse year after year. Sexual harrassment and assault is not cool, it's not funny, it's not charming, it's not a big joke. It's a very serious real-life issue and shows like this cheapen it into some sort of gag or fanservice device.

Why not stop there. There's also physical violence, mental abuse, and your most recent post hints at drug use.
Let's make Japan have to ban such content from anime. Any show that needs to touch on those subject can do so with the use of sexually ambiguous sock-puppets in order not to harm any real life virtual beings.
TheSwedishElf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:43 am Reply with quote
Oh look, you think you're witty and are apparently convinced that my perfectly valid point about how often sexual assault is treated in anime as harmless fun that the victims are just overreacting to has been invalidated by your sarcasm and overexaggeration. How cute.

They're not just "touching on the subject" and the majority of it is stuff that could easily be cut out without causing any differences in the story. And you know it. Go ahead--try and tell me with a straight face that it was entirely necessary and integral to the plot or lack thereof for Tori to grab the teacher's boobs while claiming he thought she wanted him to.

Seriously, this is the kind of shit that immature fratboy douchebags do right before wondering why women are always so pissed off at them.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:19 am Reply with quote
The fact this is fiction and meets the broadcast requirements in Japan makes it harmless, legal fun to watch. I noted there are other equally depraved acts being depicted that are oddly not earning the same ire from you. Since most of us are capable of separating fact from fiction an anime victim getting sexual abused and then sending the perp flying into a building would quality as due punishment and time served so that we can move on to digesting the convoluted plot.

I am not trying to make the claim that any such content is necessary to the plot. I however have no interest in an anime or story that is just has the bare essentials to move the plot along. But I am certain that grabbing the teacher's boobs qualified as an "attack" and getting an attack to land on the teacher was the basis for that particular exercise, whether or not Tori knew that is a different matter.
TheSwedishElf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:13 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
The fact this is fiction and meets the broadcast requirements in Japan makes it harmless, legal fun to watch.

"Legal to show on Japanese television" =/= "issue of sexual assault should be made into something funny". I'm not even just talking about this particular anime, a scary number of them treat it like it's no big deal. It really kinda scares me, to be honest, to realize that we still live in a day and age in this fandom where scenes of sexual assault, towards either gender, are met with laughter or fangirl squeals or cries of "ZOMG AWESOME". And that this is often what the creators intended.

Quote:
I noted there are other equally depraved acts being depicted that are oddly not earning the same ire from you.

Where, exactly? Are you referring to this particular show?

Quote:
I am not trying to make the claim that any such content is necessary to the plot. I however have no interest in an anime or story that is just has the bare essentials to move the plot along.

I didn't say that either, please stop trying to read into stuff that's not there.

Quote:
But I am certain that grabbing the teacher's boobs qualified as an "attack" and getting an attack to land on the teacher was the basis for that particular exercise, whether or not Tori knew that is a different matter.

The fact that he did it at all and the way it was presented so casually is what disturbs me. And we know he won't learn from being flung through several buildings, no character like him ever does.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Really the whole breast grabbing thing just made me sigh, the thing really annoys me. I recognise that it can be a crime, and such perverted acts do not help me sympathise with a lead, but interestingly that is not why I sighed. Firstly I am not as interested in them as the average male, and the second thing I just figured out. When I was around 11 I was accused of trying to touch a girls breast in a red rover game, I was basically treated a criminal for something I was not aware of. Shocked Wait could that be why I show so little interest.

This show really seems to have everything, the explanation is a bit confusing, but so far I am throwing logic out the window to watch: yuri angel witches, a ninja, a robot, some sort of curry Indian guy, an Incubus (wish he would wear clothes), a souless moving doll, what appears to be Negima's Nodoka, and various other wariors and magical people, in some sort of school setting.
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:10 am Reply with quote
The story in episode seems pretty straightforward to me...it's no longer a really quick info dump like last episode. Obviously still some stuff that's to be revealed...like who or what is Horizon....

Oh, and this episode, Tori got permission to grope a girl's breast!...atleast to him he got it, not his fault she chose such unfortunate choices of words. Laughing

Quote:
Incubus (wish he would wear clothes)

To be fair...he's an incubus, a male succubus.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"Legal to show on Japanese television" =/= "issue of sexual assault should be made into something funny".

Simple, there is no such issue. Well no such issue that is prevalent enough to get a law passed in support of it.

Quote:
I'm not even just talking about this particular anime, a scary number of them treat it like it's no big deal.

The guy got punched/kicked through a wall because of it. Where the "no big deal"? The victim didn't run to the authorities because she felt physical violence was enough of a solution for what happened that situation. In fact most crimes in fictional stories don't reach the proper authorities and are resolved in a similar vigilante way.

Quote:
Where, exactly? Are you referring to this particular show?

Why would I need to talk about this particular show when you aren't even talking about this particular show; "I'm not even just talking about this particular anime, a scary number of them treat it like it's no big deal. " You should really work on not using double standards and contradicting yourself when trying to argue one of your silly points.

Quote:
The fact that he did it at all and the way it was presented so casually is what disturbs me. And we know he won't learn from being flung through several buildings, no character like him ever does.

There's no need to turn this story into a fairy tale. Not everyone learns from their mistakes. Although if you are 1 or 2 episodes in given the preponderance of anime wouldn't it be entirely too soon for a protagonist like Tori to learn a lesson? This time in the story would be the setup time for characters and background. Life lessons usually popup around the half-way mark.
TheSwedishElf

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:18 am Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Quote:
"Legal to show on Japanese television" =/= "issue of sexual assault should be made into something funny".

Simple, there is no such issue.

And that's where I stop giving a shit about anything you have to say regarding my view. The fact that you think sexual assault is not a serious real-life issue speaks volumes, as does your belief that anime doesn't constantly make it into a big joke.
braskez

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:58 am Reply with quote
... I don't even know what to say.. I watched the first episode and I was like "Ok, that was stupid, but I won't say anything till I see the next episode." After this last episode I was just unimpressed. The show is just boring, that's all there is to it. I'm probably going to drop it. We'll see though, it's only the second episode after all.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:06 pm Reply with quote
braskez wrote:
The show is just boring, that's all there is to it.

Well, I think there's more to it than just boring. This show reeks of incompetence.

The 1st episode was an short info-dump, then it went into a long chase sequence where each of the way too many archetypal characters get just enough time to establish what kind of archetype they are. This goes on until the last couple minutes. Then it introduces the supposed male lead -and surprise surprise! He's a dopey pervert! And then it ends with another info-dump.

The 2nd episode was actually worse. It was several info-dumps laced together with sequences in which each of the archetypal characters get just enough time to remind the viewer which archetypes they are. Dopey male "lead" gets very little screen time, and it ends without a damn thing moving forward one bit. And now there's this prince/princess thing that spoiler[was born female but had to be turned male for some reason.] I don't remember the reason for that as I had stopped paying attention by that point. I just couldn't be bothered with this anymore. I can't even enjoy this ironically.

I'm out... I'm just waiting for C^3 to be streamed so I can determine which of these two titles is the worst show of this current season.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:07 pm Reply with quote
>Neit offers her breasts to Tori for groping
>Tori gropes her breasts
>Neit gets indignant about it, and sends him flying with a smack

I do not understand.

>All political and military affairs are determined by student battles within the Academy. After the age of 18, the highest position you can attain is just a glorified bureaucrat.
>The main character is an eroge otaku who's self-admittedly incompetent, but is the student president for no reason and everyone does what he says.

Yeah, I don't think I'm going to like this show. It seems like one of the shows where the characters don't even resemble a caricature of actual people, and the show's themes are completely divorced from anything in reality. I can't get stuff like that because it lacks any authentic feeling I can relate to.

Also, it's 50 minutes into the show and there's no advancement in the main story "This robot looks like a dead girl." Don't get me wrong, I love pandering fanservice shows...my favorite anime is Strike Witches. But there still has to be a show there. Otherwise, I might as well just fap to the Pixiv art and ignore the actual anime.
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
is the student president for no reason and everyone does what he says.

If the spoilers I read were correct...they intentionally put him in that position because spoiler[they know he won't do anything substantial, as opposed to having someone competent in such a position who would actually be troublesome.]

Of course I was also accidentally reading spoilers for hundreds of other shows, so it might be some other show dealing with a bumbling fool in a position of power this season.

edit: SHIT BALLS! Accidentally used the "Quote" button instead of "spoiler" Embarassed

Last edited by Gon*Gon on Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:44 pm Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:
>Neit offers her breasts to Tori for groping
>Tori gropes her breasts
>Neit gets indignant about it, and sends him flying with a smack

I do not understand.

Neit didn't know that groping was the thing they needed her help for. She was pounding her chest like she knew she was important, not telling him to grab her breasts.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9