• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll to Simulcast Working'!!/Wagnaria!! 2nd Season

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:34 pm Reply with quote
"Simulcast" isn't the right word. More like "Delaycast"
Escaflowne2001

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Oh noes, they've missed the first episodes. It's the end of the world. Rolling Eyes
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:49 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

Episodes 1 & 2 are listed on the site (just search for "Wagnaria" on CR), and both show the same premiere time for premium users. The first episode shows the same premiere time for both free and premium users, while the second shows the usual 7 day delay for free users.

tl;dr version:

This is delayed start, not a delaycast.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:07 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

Episodes 1 & 2 are listed on the site (just search for "Wagnaria" on CR), and both show the same premiere time for premium users. The first episode shows the same premiere time for both free and premium users, while the second shows the usual 7 day delay for free users.

tl;dr version:

This is delayed start, not a delaycast.

Fair enough, but as far as I can tell, Fate/Zero is still a delaycast.
acadia2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:21 pm Reply with quote
[quote="RyanSaotome"]
TheAncientOne wrote:

A delaycast of one week in 720P! Smile Think of it this way as NicoNicoDouga is like a rush fansub and Crunchyroll as Eclipse-Static Subs. Smile We have waited before for quality... except CR's crappy history with subtitles :/
zensunni

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Both of these are surprising... Not unwelcome, just surprising... Smile

I don't mind the 1-week delay to watch Fate/Zero in 720p, especially since NicoNico doesn't have a real full screen option!
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:28 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

True enough, but given the difference in quality, I'll wait a week.

Apparently not everyone got the quite poor bitrate from the Nico Nico Douga stream I did, but whether it was due to them engaging economy mode at the time I viewed or some other reason remains to be seen.
toyNN

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:16 pm Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:
Both of these are surprising... Not unwelcome, just surprising... Smile

I don't mind the 1-week delay to watch Fate/Zero in 720p, especially since NicoNico doesn't have a real full screen option!

I won't be complaining by a 1 week delay - to me a Delaycast is waiting 1-2 years for some of the shows to hit the US with a legal release. Like the first season of Working!! - wish they could figure out a way to stream this also.
TG72

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:15 pm Reply with quote
toyNN wrote:

Like the first season of Working!! - wish they could figure out a way to stream this also.

I second the motion. It's not available on Netflix or RentAnime. NIS let ANN stream Toradora so I was hoping they would do the same with Working!/Wagnaria! I saw the first four episodes at Animazement and thoroughly enjoyed them.

But thank you, thank you, THANK YOU to crunchyroll for picking up another show I want to see

Cool
Razzuel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:07 pm Reply with quote
I'm really excited that Crunchyroll picked up Fate/Zero. I don't care if it's delayed a week or not. One week is minuscule; I have a ton of other streaming shows to watch, the mountain of physical discs of anime that I own that I haven't watched yet, and a bunch of games like Dark Souls to keep me busy.

toyNN wrote:
I won't be complaining by a 1 week delay - to me a Delaycast is waiting 1-2 years for some of the shows to hit the US with a legal release.

Exactly. Well said.
vashthekaizoku

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Razzuel wrote:
I'm really excited that Crunchyroll picked up Fate/Zero. I don't care if it's delayed a week or not. One week is minuscule; I have a ton of other streaming shows to watch, the mountain of physical discs of anime that I own that I haven't watched yet, and a bunch of games like Dark Souls to keep me busy.

toyNN wrote:
I won't be complaining by a 1 week delay - to me a Delaycast is waiting 1-2 years for some of the shows to hit the US with a legal release.

Exactly. Well said.

I agree with all of this. I wanted to marathon the original series of Hunter X Hunter before the reboot came out. I got through one disc. Guess I'll be doing a parallel viewing. Now my problem is, how do I marathon two seasons of Shakugan no Shana, Fate/Stay Night and Last Exile at the same time, and re-watching Wagnaria so I can watch the new seasons without getting confused as crap?
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Despite the arguments over simulcast/delaycast for F/Z, I do wish the article would be edited to say that they are streaming F/Z, as it is not a true simulcast, and the press release even refers to it as "streaming" and not "simulcast."
cyberbeing

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:58 am Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
Apparently not everyone got the quite poor bitrate from the Nico Nico Douga stream I did, but whether it was due to them engaging economy mode at the time I viewed or some other reason remains to be seen.

If economy mode activates, you'll be stuck with an extremely low bitrate (360p / 220kbps video / 64kbps audio) stream. When load on Nicovideo goes down, it will automatically switch back to a very decent bitrate (360p / 1000kbps video / 128kbps audio) yet still low resolution stream.

I'm not sure what other reason you're expecting. As far as I could tell, the Fate/Zero simulcast was not getting any special treatment and was subject to get downgraded temporarily to economy mode for non-subscribers when Nicovideo is under heavy load, just like other video uploads do. Unfortunately, if you get stuck in eco-mode, the wait for the standard quality stream to return can be very inconvenient.
ss-hikaru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:43 am Reply with quote
*deletes unwatched fansub off HD* Crunchyroll you are the best! That makes HunterxHunter, Gintama, Squid Girl, Kimi to Boku, Chihayafuru and Fate/Zero all on Crunchyroll and available TO Australians! Plus there's Un-Go from Siren to look forward to too. This is a goooood season for anime ^_________^
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:56 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

Well, I guess you should just keep watching it on niconico then. I will wait the week. The reason why I initially dropped Fate/Zero was because of the crappy player. Now I can wait the week and watch it full screen at 720p. Yay!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2