Forum - View topic
Big breasts ruining anime?


Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Elfen12



Joined: 14 Oct 2007
Posts: 466

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:24 am Reply with quote
animeboy12 wrote:
@Elfen12
I agree with what your saying but I think why people are annoyed with breasts is that it forces a certain body type. It tells people that this type of body is sexy and that what men want. Some men might or might not agree with that. Even you though anime fans are almost male there still a large female audience how might be offended because the feel degraded by by that deciption of women. Personally, I don't know what's degrading about a smart big breasts beautiful girl, kicking ass and looking good too. And if anything it's nice to see a wide range of art styles.


Really, well if that's the case that's also kind of unimportant in a way. They're not forcing anything, if the producers find that type of thing attractive or for any other reason, then hell, let 'em do what they want, it's there imagination, and it's the viewers problem if they don't "enjoy" them, or if they do not "mind" them. I think it is incorrect to say that the fact that they put those breasts in there is to say "This type of body is sexy and that is what men want" for two reasons.

First off, if that is the case then that is the case, there isnt' anything wrong in stating the truth now is there and if it's not the truth but close to it because of perhaps the majority of men thinking it's sexy, then still i find nothing wrong in it. There is no guideline here. Perhaps some find it to be a moral guideline, where one shoudln't overexagerate things like that expiecally if they're coming out in public but in all honesty, i don't' think we have the right to really complian about something like that. I'm sure somewhere around the world with some people, it is realistic to have that size breast, (somewhere, upon 6 billion people, a little more than 3 billion being woman). So why don't you complain to them then, it'd be for the same reason, these people walk around in public and therefore make thesemvelves visible, just as anime is public and therefore is visible. To those people, it could be considered an insult to complain about big breasts becuase if they have them, then that is just a form of some sort of -ism (i have no idea what it might be, bodyism). I know it's splititng hairs to say that, but i find it to be at least a tiny bit relavent here.

Secondly, just beucase they put them in there for some of the anime characters out there, doens't mean that they're making that statement ("This type of body is sexy and that is what men want"). Why would they put them in there just to make that statement anyway. One can't say that it implies that just becuase they're in there. Remember, in animation and cartoons and what not, they generally try to overexagerate everything, becuase it is one's imagination at work. In human imaginations we tend to exaggerate normal circumstances into abnormal circumstances. Animation is simply puting them into motion for others to see, so what's the wrong in that. Perhaps i'm wrong about animation being an exageration of normal circumstances, but over the years of watching cartoons and now anime, i've come to see that as generally being the case. I can give examples, but i think you all can understand where i'm coming from here.

Thirdly, i think anime producers would find it sort of stupid/ridiculous that we're complaining about this. Of all the work that they do that they put into their shows, we start complaining about big breasts. Come on. I'm sure there are other things one could complain about that would be more adequate then big breasts. If it is the like of the producer, then who are we to judge that it is wrong. Then how must they feel if one says it is "ruining anime". One tiny arbitrary thing such as big breasts, ruining anime. I don't even know what producers woudl think, but i'm sure that it woudln't be good thoughts. Also i find it to be sort of a mark of anime, amoung a combination of that and some otehr things, that makes anime anime in a a way. It can sort of define it, i mean in normal american produced cartoons they ceritanly don't have that, or at least not to the extent that anime does. Would it be better to take that away?

-Elfen12-
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
khimru



Joined: 28 Jun 2008
Posts: 52

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:24 am Reply with quote
{MODERATION EDIT: The links in this post should be considered at least moderately NSFW. -- abunai}

Ugh. That's a long thread.

animeboy12 wrote:
To me this struck me as stupid because I've always view fanservice as a sexual innuendo like a guy grabbing a girls breasts, making the boing-sound with every jiggle , pulling her panties down, or the girl were just an apron or anything that looks somewhat close to sex. I thinks it's weird that somehow even if the character is pretty conservatively dress having big breasts is considered fanservice.
It may be weird, but it's how it's done. There are thousands "100% fanservice" DVDs like this or this - and quite a few of them show some big-breasted conservatively dressed gal who starts doing nasty things. And these "conservatively dressed big-breasted" gals in anime invariably lead to nasty hentai doujinshi. So we can safely assume they are there for that reason. You can ignore this aspect if you wish, but it's there. The first figurine of Dragnaut is Garnet as you can expect...

And then there are another camp who claims
the Rancorous wrote:
They can have big breasts without looking discustingly misshapened
and then adds
the Rancorous wrote:
Mai in My-HiME is a prime example of a busty girl who is not deformed-looking
which certainly strikes me as odd: Mai in My-HIME looks more like artificial, deformed idol where dragonaut tried more natural look. It's even more obvious when you compare bowling balls movement with real breasts movement.

As usual anime creators went beyond reality and tried to combine biggest funbags out there (made in US) with movement of natural breasts...

Yes, these breasts are impractical and even ridiculous but so are a lot of things in anime: costumes, eyes, hair, etc. Why such an ire?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
animeboy12



Joined: 15 Sep 2008
Posts: 160

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:57 pm Reply with quote
@Elfen12

I think exposure is a big part of it too. Like you said there are a lot of different types of women with different types of body type. I guess I've just been exposed more than other people which is why I find it surprising when people say that a certain anime body type is disgusting. If there's a real women with that body type would they tell her that her body type is disgusting?

I think my statement of "This type of body is sexy and that is what men want" was off. Personally I really can't think of any practical to hate so-called "unrealistic" breasts when there are just so many other aspects actually unrealistic features other than they just hate that body type.

I know American cartoons don't have big breasts characters but the comics have a lot like powergirl, but western emphasize is on realism. I do think that's something anime should try to keep away from because it's unrealistic nature is definitely an important trait.

@khimru
I didn't think mai's breasts were misshapen that badly but they did have moments like this . I know theres are ton and tons of doujinshi and models(man I hope they make another Garnet figure) but I just hope characters aren't designed for the sake of efficient merchandising.

I also agree that the girls in dragonaut have very natural looking breasts. That's why I like the character designer, he draw big breasts women and he does it right. The problem is that whenever people think of big breasts anime they immediately think of stuff like eiken which had poorly drawn breasts.

I do wish I knew what the people's problem was with big breasts though. I always wish I knew about how people in Japan feel bout this. Judging by amount of big breasts characters in hentai and the popularity of gravure I'd like to think they are content with it but who knows.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LuckySeven



Joined: 02 Sep 2008
Posts: 524
Location: Georgia, USA

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Thinking about it some more, I think the issue with big breasts in anime is more about how others that see you watching it perceive you. While I generally feel good with myself about anime, I've never really lived down the embarrassment of renting Ninja Scroll with a few friends and my poor aunt picking the absolute worst moments to walk in on us while we were watching it. I'm not saying this is concrete truth, just offering an opinion.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
smashmeapples



Joined: 14 Sep 2008
Posts: 6

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:10 am Reply with quote
Big breasts don't necessarily ruin the anime for me, they just get in the way, literally. Too many big-boobed girls that practically knock my head off when I watch, and I mean the oh-no-not-again kind of way. Since I'm a girl, it might just be a smidge bit typical I'd think that. For guys, well, uh...Depends on what you like really.

Big whatchamacallits might look good on a fit anime girl to you and then when you walked down to burger king in real life and just see this big...woman the size of titanic with breasts bigger than watermelons themselves, then you might think its a problem. Then again, everyone has different, some similar, tastes. And well, if you like that..I probably wouldnt ask.

Depends on how one feels when they are around others with this stuff, your likings, and what not. For me...I could probably watch through the big boobs thing in anime, it'll annoy me 'course, but its all okay. And when I'm watching this stuff with others, well, it depends(again) on who im with. Like a worried sick grandmother might like drop dead on the floor watching anime filled with that stuff or, you could have a couple friends who could be watching it with you feeling the same thing as you do.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Skylark



Joined: 15 Mar 2007
Posts: 827
Location: ORE NO TSHIRT

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:26 am Reply with quote
smashmeapples wrote:
Big breasts don't necessarily ruin the anime for me, they just get in the way, literally. Too many big-boobed girls that practically knock my head off when I watch, and I mean the oh-no-not-again kind of way. Since I'm a girl, it might just be a smidge bit typical I'd think that. For guys, well, uh...Depends on what you like really.

Big whatchamacallits might look good on a fit anime girl to you and then when you walked down to burger king in real life and just see this big...woman the size of titanic with breasts bigger than watermelons themselves, then you might think its a problem. Then again, everyone has different, some similar, tastes. And well, if you like that..I probably wouldnt ask.


I'm a healthy 20 year old guy and I'm the one that started this thread. And the only people who could POSSIBLY get Dragonaut-sized breasts in real life would be pregnant. Razz

I'm actually pretty amazed to see this thread still going. I did end up dropping Dragonaut; a culmination of negative elements really. That was ages ago though. >.> I think the issue is still just as valid. I'm not a massive moe fan either, and I'm not into the whole supposed 18+ year olds with 10 year old bodies or whatever, but I just think that a happy medium could be reached. I'd like to think that in anime, female characters have more going for them than the size of their breasts. Thankfully it's more often the exception than the rule, though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
animeboy12



Joined: 15 Sep 2008
Posts: 160

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:15 am Reply with quote
@smashmeapples

well some features look better on some people then others. I haven't many women with dragoanut-sized breasted and proportions complaining about their breasts. I just feel that it's hard to compare anime to real life because so many features or exaggerated. I don't know how to explain it but try comparing tifa from ff7 to advent children.

I do agree that there are a lot of anime that I don't feel comfortable watching with people but dragonaut not one of them. If me it's stuff like Kanokon.

@Skylark

It was an interesting thread and I want to talk about because of my discussion on other forumsabout sekirei

the problem I had was that you called the proportions of those characters unrealistic.

I disagree with your first statement and if you want pics of dragonaut proportions women who aren't pregnant I can provide those Very Happy

or just check out khimru's post

Personally I don't think there needs to a happy medium is manga. I'm happy that anime doesn't happy medium because I love the variation of style. That fact there's a world of difference in character design between Ghost in shell, lucky star, and dragonaut makes them more memorable and recognizable. It's also one of the reason I like anime more than the western stuff.

I think you have a valid reason. Anime is a visual medium and if you don't like the visuals in it's total valid but I think that anime is more than visuals. As much a I hate the character design of Louise from Zero no Tsukaima (18years old and look very moe) I watched it because the story great. If an anime can get a good story across I'm fine with visual.

As far as big breasted character go I've never really seen one that wasn't deep except for eiken and that's because it's base on a small portion of the anime( heck, if you look at the dvd cover, one of the characters never show up in the anime). Animes like Desert punk, divergence eve, witchblade,macross frontier and many others all had deep big breasted women. I really don't anyone anyone can compensate lack of character with big breasts nor have I seen an anime try that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
khimru



Joined: 28 Jun 2008
Posts: 52

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:23 am Reply with quote
animeboy12 wrote:
I know theres are ton and tons of doujinshi and models(man I hope they make another Garnet figure) but I just hope characters aren't designed for the sake of efficient merchandising.
Is this a joke? Of course they are designed for the sake of efficient merchandising! That's long tradition of anime: toys are important part of medium. For example mecha in old shows often break apart and then reconnect to form different form. Like the toys of the time. Later toy manufacturers switched to models which transform in place - and so did the mecha in anime. Why the hell game designers invested so much time and effort in characters design when character was only ever shown as 16x16 sprite in a game? Merchandise.

That's why caricatures are not as popular in anime as in western animation: Garnet can be sold out even without support from anime, but can you sell figurine of someone who looks like Gomer Simpson or Stan Marsh and who is NOT character of some successful series? With anime characters are designed to be sellable without anime support (they succesfully sell character like this without it) and then anime just acts like booster of sales. So yes, you can be pretty sure all characters and models are designed to be usable as toys and models for figurines. Not all of them are actually used to sell merchandise, but they all should be ready to be used in such a way: tight tying of toys and shows are in the past, but that legacy certainly remains...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
animeboy12



Joined: 15 Sep 2008
Posts: 160

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:17 pm Reply with quote
khimru wrote:
animeboy12 wrote:
I know theres are ton and tons of doujinshi and models(man I hope they make another Garnet figure) but I just hope characters aren't designed for the sake of efficient merchandising.
Is this a joke? Of course they are designed for the sake of efficient merchandising! That's long tradition of anime: toys are important part of medium. For example mecha in old shows often break apart and then reconnect to form different form. Like the toys of the time. Later toy manufacturers switched to models which transform in place - and so did the mecha in anime. Why the hell game designers invested so much time and effort in characters design when character was only ever shown as 16x16 sprite in a game? Merchandise.

That's why caricatures are not as popular in anime as in western animation: Garnet can be sold out even without support from anime, but can you sell figurine of someone who looks like Gomer Simpson or Stan Marsh and who is NOT character of some successful series? With anime characters are designed to be sellable without anime support (they succesfully sell character like this without it) and then anime just acts like booster of sales. So yes, you can be pretty sure all characters and models are designed to be usable as toys and models for figurines. Not all of them are actually used to sell merchandise, but they all should be ready to be used in such a way: tight tying of toys and shows are in the past, but that legacy certainly remains...


I just saying I hope that when character designers make a character there's not the feeling of "I gotta make an action figure out of this" and there true to themselves
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Keonyn
Moderator


Joined: 25 May 2005
Posts: 5555
Location: Coon Rapids, MN

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure it varies. I'm fairly confident the likes of Yoshitoshi ABe doesn't design his characters with the intent of marketing. However, whether it's to attract an audience or make a figure, there are many shows that definitely look like the characters design was inspired not only by the artists vision, but also by the need to market the character.

Like with just about anything, there are those who allow marketing to manipulate their vision, and those that won't sacrifice an inch for the sake of marketing, and then everyone in between. You see it with cover art on novels, casting shows in live action, and so on.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Pink Lisa



Joined: 21 Sep 2008
Posts: 1
Location: L.A.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Big boobs have been in anime forever. Very Happy

As a woman, I like to see ample breasted women represented in cartoon form. I don't see it as demeaning to my gender either. I'm a fan of big boobs. Very Happy

They may not realisitic to you, But to me they are. I have a body just like theirs. I've always been a fan of anime. Very Happy

Anime rarely portrays the human body realistically for either gender. Shocked


Last edited by Pink Lisa on Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Mushi-Man



Joined: 17 Nov 2008
Posts: 1537
Location: KCMO

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:07 pm Reply with quote
I don't see a problem with large breasts in anime. It's kind of just a part of the culture and art style. Sure some times it's a little weird (the whole size issue), but it's better to just except it and move on with the story. Once you dwell on the little things that you don;t care for, you tend to hate it as a whole.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Unit 03.5-ish



Joined: 07 Dec 2008
Posts: 1540
Location: This space for rent

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Threadcromancy? Oh well, might as well add my two cents.

Japanese culture emphasizes bust size quite a bit, almost as much as ours does at times. I think it's the fact that a lot of Japanese men (and a fair number of American ones) find larger breasts attractive. It is, quite simply, a cultural thing, and while I myself am no opponent of larger boobs, sometimes they can be too extreme (there are some anime girl designs -- particularly for some hentai -- that disgust me with their oversized mammaries, especially crap like Eiken, which wasn't hentai but the girls are still repulsive).

I've come to accept that most anime girls are going to have bodies that could make a lot of real-life women cry, for various reasons. If you let it bother you, you might as well not watch any anime at all.

Mushi-Man: you know, when I see a discussion of boob size -- especially among girls -- in anime, I often Rolling Eyes and move on, though it is a bit silly and unrealistic at times.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime
ryuzaki11



Joined: 21 Jan 2009
Posts: 67
Location: Kanbal,Sagu.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Does it bother you because of how it's just going all over the place and could cause earthquakes or just the size?

I think the size could increase viewers sometimes...like...it's in every single anime. (to a degree)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
wdwyer



Joined: 28 Sep 2006
Posts: 28
Location: North East, PA

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:11 pm Reply with quote
suna_suna wrote:
some times it can be a comedic thing, but i have not seen a series that really overused large breasts. but i don;t think i would be much of a deal in a good anime where the story is interesting

i should check out this Dragonaut thing though Wink


THIS is why they use it. Someone who had no prior knowledge of the anime, will now pick it up and watch. All because of big boobs.

Anime smile + sweatdrop
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 17

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group