• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Namco Announces Restructuring Plans

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:17 am Reply with quote
Wow, when Bandai Visual isn't even liked in its native country, it might be time for the company to start charging more reasonable prices for their titles. Rolling Eyes
Ryusui

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:21 am Reply with quote
Bandai Namco eats Bandai Visual alive! Film at 11!

In the immortal words of Mass Destruction, the battle theme from Persona 3: OOH YEAH!
xstylus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:33 am Reply with quote
So what does this mean for Bandai Visual USA and Bandai Entertainment USA, if anything?
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:43 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Wow, when Bandai Visual isn't even liked in its native country, it might be time for the company to start charging more reasonable prices for their titles. Rolling Eyes

GATSU, that has nothing to do with this. You're smarter than that, and probably just straining to make an otherwise nonsequitor snide remark for no reason. Bandai AND Bandai Visual are much bigger than a few American DVD releases.

xstylus wrote:
So what does this mean for Bandai Visual USA and Bandai Entertainment USA, if anything?

Bandai Entertainment USA is under its own division of Bandai Namco, so this doesn't appear to have anything to do with them. It won't affect Bandai Visual USA unless the takeover bid succeeds, in which case Bandai Visual may be restructured by their new parent company.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:48 am Reply with quote
If this is even a glimmer of hope that Bandai will fire it's current marketing exects, then I'm all for it. Seriously, this entire year has been a joke in terms of how they've been marketing their DVD releases.
Fallout2man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:31 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:

Bandai Entertainment USA is under its own division of Bandai Namco, so this doesn't appear to have anything to do with them. It won't affect Bandai Visual USA unless the takeover bid succeeds, in which case Bandai Visual may be restructured by their new parent company.

Personally I hope that they can find some way to reconcile and merge the two. Having two vastly different anime divisions, one extremely low priced (their boxed sets must be the cheapest MSRP I've ever seen) and the other extremely high priced. Of course I'm also hoping if they did this that it'd lean more towards Bandai Entertainment's practices than Bandai Visual's.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:23 am Reply with quote
jsevakis: It sounds like there is some logic to my argument, as it appears that the people running Namdai think BV is out of touch with the trends in the Japanese market.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:03 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
jsevakis: It sounds like there is some logic to my argument, as it appears that the people running Namdai think BV is out of touch with the trends in the Japanese market.

Or they just see an opportunity to expand their business and are going for it.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:50 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Quote:
The current main focus for Bandai Visual is anime and anime DVD distribution, while Bandai Networks is working on content for cellular phone users. Based on the increase in Internet distribution of content, the arrival of new formats like Blu-ray Disc and HD-DVD, and the increase in how much power mobile phones have to run content, Bandai Namco HD has signaled a desire to bring both subsidiaries closer to the company itself to have a direct hand in implementing new technology.

All this says is they want more control. To me "implementing new technology" just might mean "costs more money", not less.
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Okay, everyone. Repeat after me:

"Anime is an expensive hobby for broke people."

I also doubt that this will be devastating news for the US branch of Bandai Visual. I'm beginning to see this gigantic Banco machines as the Japanese Enron. I know it sounds crazy. But somebody somewhere at the top is getting by with underhanded tactics. Sad
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:52 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
It won't affect Bandai Visual USA unless the takeover bid succeeds, in which case Bandai Visual may be restructured by their new parent company.

I think this is what everyone is curious to know about. I don't suppose there is any real way to determine what the effect of that would be though. Sad

Hell prices could even go up!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:11 pm Reply with quote
I doubt they'd go up, because Namdai isn't run by idiots.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Well I was joking by the way. But to be honest, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if it did happen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Well I was joking by the way. But to be honest, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if it did happen.

If it does, we will just go from not buying their over-priced releases to ... ummmm .... boycotting their grossly over-priced releases?

That said, Bandai-E has been edging their prices up lately too, so hopefully this isn't a corporately structured good-cop/bad-cop routine. Either way, rooting for papa-bear on this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1