• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Persona 4: The Animation (TV).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Divineking

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:02 pm Reply with quote

Persona 4: The Animation

Genres: comedy, drama, fantasy, mystery
Themes: parallel world, split persona

Plot Summary: Yu Narukami has moved from Tokyo to Inaba to stay with his uncle and cousin, while his parents are away on business. However, after a murder shakes up the sleepy town, things get even more crazy when he discovers the mysterious "Midnight Channel," and that he has the even more mysterious ability to enter TVs. Accompanied by his disbelieving friends, Yu discovers another world inside the TVs, that seems to be connected with the murder. They also discover the ability to summon 'Persona', their 'other selves', whose power they can use to fight the shadows that inhabit the TV world. The murders, the Midnight Channel, the world inside the TV, and Persona. Yu and his friends fight to figure out how they're connected, and to solve the case before it's too late.
----------------------------------

Well I watched episode one and I was very impressed. They kept in a lot of music from the game, and even used the game's opening for this episode, though I'm hoping it'll pop up again. I figured that they'd have to cut a lot out of the four hour intro to fit the show into 25 episodes, but it seems to have worked for the most part. It felt rushed in some instances, but it still did a pretty solid job of setting everything up.

Only thing I kind of raised an eyebrow at was them spoiler[changing up the circumstances for Yu unlocking the persona ability since we all know that happened during the Yosuke event. I guess they wanted to show it the personas before the first episode ended to hook people in I guess. It didn;t come across as forced, so it's a forgiveable change, and I suppose it helps put Yosuke in the spotlight more when his shadow shows up next episode.]
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Not sure if I want to watch it...afraid that watching it will increase my jealousy of being unable to play the game....yet I hear it's basically Jojo's Bizarre Adventure spliced with high school drama and characters that aren't fugly...so irresistable.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:18 pm Reply with quote
An excellent first episode.

The pros:

-keeping the video game music. From jamming to the original opening theme to having the battle theme music, I'm glad they stuck with the excellent music
-faithful to the story
-MC being voiced is pretty natural so far. He's kind of the quiet one, but not too quiet that he feels left out. I also like his stats being shown halfway through, I'm curious how they'll progress
-voices were great except one (see cons)

Cons:

-Teddie sounds weird in Japanese, it's pretty distracting
-Yosuke is a bit too hyperactive (maybe he was like this at the beginning of the game too, I can't remember), but maybe once he gets his Persona he'll calm down a bit
-there was a bit of a rushed feeling, but I'm sure it'll find its pace soon. Wish they had kept the MC's walk with Chie and Yukiko as they provided some good character set-up, but other than that, nothing major felt left out (though I kind of wish they had gone with the "tell King Moron off" option from the game, but that would have contrasted MC's calm demeanor he's got here). While I enjoyed the story as well, the characters themselves are Persona 4's true strength IMHO so I want to see their bond as a team develop as much as possible

I'm very excited to see more episodes. Very Happy
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Very awesome start. The aesthetic design with adding elements from the game is spot on and great. Only disappointment is we'll have to wait for next week to see more of Kuma.
batou37

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:15 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed the first ep. Seemed a bit strange at first seeing as how I had never played any of the games, so I went into it not knowing what to expect. I had seen Trinity Soul so I kept thinking don't these people control big spirit monster things or something? what's going on? spoiler[why are they in a tv and there is some bear thing talking to them. I almost felt like I was watching that one Freddy Kruger where the kid was trapped in the game. The final 10 min or so solidified it for me though so I'll stay with it.] The only thing that I think is going to take a little getting used to is the character coloring vs the background. They just look so much brighter that it is almost a bit jarring. Is that a consistent trait carried over from the game or something?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:24 pm Reply with quote
I've never played P4 and I have no idea what's going on, but looks very cool to me. By the way, my playback was very choppy - many sections it seemed frames were dropped out. I'm assuming that was my playback and not just part of this show's overall trippyness, right?
batou37

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:31 pm Reply with quote
No I don't think it was intended because I had no choppiness that I can remember.
Zerri

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:21 am Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
An excellent first episode.

The pros:

-keeping the video game music. From jamming to the original opening theme to having the battle theme music, I'm glad they stuck with the excellent music
-faithful to the story
-MC being voiced is pretty natural so far. He's kind of the quiet one, but not too quiet that he feels left out. I also like his stats being shown halfway through, I'm curious how they'll progress
-voices were great except one (see cons)

Cons:

-Teddie sounds weird in Japanese, it's pretty distracting
-Yosuke is a bit too hyperactive (maybe he was like this at the beginning of the game too, I can't remember), but maybe once he gets his Persona he'll calm down a bit
-there was a bit of a rushed feeling, but I'm sure it'll find its pace soon. Wish they had kept the MC's walk with Chie and Yukiko as they provided some good character set-up, but other than that, nothing major felt left out (though I kind of wish they had gone with the "tell King Moron off" option from the game, but that would have contrasted MC's calm demeanor he's got here). While I enjoyed the story as well, the characters themselves are Persona 4's true strength IMHO so I want to see their bond as a team develop as much as possible

I'm very excited to see more episodes. Very Happy

I agree with all of the points you have there, except for the one about Teddie. He was pretty distracting both in English and in Japanese in the game, so I can understand why they kept him like that. Not sure how that will effect the anime in the long run, but I still shudder from all of the un-bear-able bear jokes in the English version of the game.

As for Yosuke, he was pretty hyperactive at the start of the game and did calm down a bit after getting his persona, although his hyperactivity did return from time to time afterward.
darkslayer709

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:58 am Reply with quote
Persona 4 was everything I had hoped it would be and more. I loved the little touches like the calendar and the stat screen in the middle of the episode. The streaming ran really well for me (thank you so much Anime Network for streaming this in the UK!)

They've stayed so faithful to the game, I was a little surprised that he got his Persona so early and there were a few of the early character introduction scenes that were cut (like with MC walking home with Chie and Yukiko) but that intro in the game lasts about 2 hours so I can see why they chopped out what they did.

I agree with the comments about Teddie but I already knew how annoying his Japanese voice was. It put the dubbed Teddie into perspective since while I found him and his 'bear' jokes annoying, his voice never grated with me like the Japanese one does. Ahh well.

spoiler[Did anybody notice the delivery truck near Tatsumi's Textiles. I know it's in the wrong place considering where the Liqour Store is, but do you think that was foreshadowing? I'm tempted to re-start my game now and see if it's there too.]

Can't wait for next week's episode!

I think my one major fear is how they'll handle Yukiko spoiler[since the game seems to push you towards making her your romantic interest the most]. I didn't particularly like her as a character so I'm hoping that they don't force it on us. spoiler[She always struck me as being extremely selfish and even in her SLink it took her the longest to realize what her shadow was getting at.]
Divineking

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:43 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I think my one major fear is how they'll handle Yukiko spoiler spoiler[since the game seems to push you towards making her your romantic interest the most]. I didn't particularly like her as a character so I'm hoping that they don't force it on us. spoiler[She always struck me as being extremely selfish and even in her SLink it took her the longest to realize what her shadow was getting at.]

Truth be told I think the game pretty much had it split between her and Rise since she wasn;t really paired off with anyone either. But given she's spoiler[ fangirl for the protagonist] the anime probably will try to pair him with Yukiko.

Last edited by Divineking on Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:11 am; edited 1 time in total
kiddtic

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:12 am Reply with quote
so is this the most awesome show you have ever seen or is the MOST AWESOME SHOW YOU HAVE EVER SEEN?

Okay seriously though it was very very excellent, the characters, the music, the action scene everything was just right.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:19 pm Reply with quote
darkslayer709 wrote:

I agree with the comments about Teddie but I already knew how annoying his Japanese voice was. It put the dubbed Teddie into perspective since while I found him and his 'bear' jokes annoying, his voice never grated with me like the Japanese one does. Ahh well.

Seems I have to Youtube this Teddie character and performance because Kuma sounds like Kuma to me.

*giggle* I found some clips. You guys like your voices bland.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Not like you can compete with Kappei Yamaguchi anyway.

Anyway, it's a shame TAN's subs are dubtitles. I hope it's not like that for home release and it's the actual Japanese script (really annoying when you understand what they're saying and the subs don't match). I guess fansubs are still necessary.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:57 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

Anyway, it's a shame TAN's subs are dubtitles.

That sucks.
I don't even want to watch the anime because I am not done with the game yet. Hell just looking up Teddy and Persona 4 on Youtube spoiled me on a bit of the story.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:15 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
TitanXL wrote:

Anyway, it's a shame TAN's subs are dubtitles.

That sucks.
I don't even want to watch the anime because I am not done with the game yet. Hell just looking up Teddy and Persona 4 on Youtube spoiled me on a bit of the story.

Well, how far into the game are you? Considering we have 24 episodes to go, and it shouldn't take half a year to beat even a long game like Persona 4, I don't think you should be worried about spoilers. It's highly doubtful they'd spoil any twists much earlier than when they're revealed in the game.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 11