• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - We Can't Have Nice Things

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
taster of pork

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:03 pm Reply with quote
My favorite OP song is still the Opening for Gundam: 8th MS Team, "Shine in the Storm". Gives me chills every time I hear it.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:45 pm Reply with quote
What about ghost sweeper mikami, we got the movie and I thought that was the end of that, but then Sentai went and released the tv show last year; and I am fairly sure is older than Ninku.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Big thanks to Rex who listed the OP and ED to High School of The Dead. That series had awesome music and I had no idea you could buy almost the entirety of it on iTunes. I have to buy these now!
designer215

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:15 pm Reply with quote
First time poster, long time lurker...

I am a bit of an old fogey, but the most memorable anime OP/ED themes to me are:

Kokoro wa Gypsy - Orguss

Maha Go Go - Speed Racer

You get to Burning - Nadesico

Shinkon Gattai Godannar - Godannar

De Ja Vu/Southern Cross Roads - Southern Cross
(or anything from the Macross/Robotech series)

The best anime music/soundtrack in general would be a tie between Princess Tu Tu and Utena.

The worst anime opening/music in general was the sub/dub of Magic Knight Rayearth (both seasons!) and some of the music in Nadia made me push the fast forward button so fast or to just mute it and watch the animation sequences.

I like most of the L'Arc de Ciel stuff, but I just wanted to see Orguss' ending mentioned at least once!
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Also thing of creativity, it does go into "people don't know what they like, they like what they know." Show them something new and they might like it.
Optitron

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:55 pm Reply with quote
That is so awesome that my letter got featured, and on my first try to boot!
Pippin4242 wrote:
Uh... Jean-Jacques Burnel is from Bristol, isn't he? He sounds local, and he used to drink with a friend of mine. And he's the frontman of The Stranglers, so yeah.

ETA: Apparently he has dual citizenship, but he doesn't really seem to have any major connection with France except for his parents, and the fact that they tried to get him to do National Service there.

%&*@! Why did I write that! I knew he was British! I blame Alexandre Dumas' work for giving everything associated with it a "French feel" (or maybe it was the fact that Brunel's ancestry was french mixed with the fact that I was already thinking french when I wrote that, whatever).
ThePoliced wrote:
Damn, nobody voted for the NGE op?, thats like the king of OPs.

I had "Zankoku na Tenshi no Thesis" on my favorite OP list during the initial draft of my response, along with "inner universe" from Ghost in the Shell: SAC and "WARRIORS" from season... I'm gonna say 4 of Yu-Gi-Oh!. Unfortunately I wanted to pare that list down to five, and I also assumed a lot of people would respond with NGE's theme so I left it off. Same goes for GitS:SAC's theme, though I left off "WARRIORS" because I didn't want two Yu-Gi-Oh! themes on my list (it might have given people the impression that I actually liked the Yu-Gi-Oh! anime itself, and not just the series themes... and the manga, and the card game... damn, I just remembered that I forgot to list "Ashita Moshi Kimi ga Kowaretemo", the ED of Yu-Gi-Oh! season 0. It's because I stopped using bootleg CDs and that's the only place where I have it).
designer215 wrote:
The best anime music/soundtrack in general would be a tie between Princess Tu Tu and Utena.

The worst anime opening/music in general was the sub/dub of Magic Knight Rayearth (both seasons!)...

Whaaa! I liked the MKR themes. They weren't great, but at least they fit with the tone of the series. As for greatest soundtrack, Utena is a good choice, but I'd have to say either Gankutsuou (at least if we're talking "appropriate for the series") or Tsubasa Chronicle (only the music, ONLY THE MUSIC!!!). If I were trying to be impartial I'd add Cowboy Bebop's soundtrack, but as someone who doesn't like listening to jazz, bebop, hip-hop, funk... yeah, I'm probably one of the only anime fans who feels that Cowboy Bebop's soundtrack is the only thing that drags this otherwise near-perfect series down (the ED is okay, and "Call Me Call Me" is on my favorites playlist, but other than that...). If Brian had asked for favorite soundtrack piece, I'd probably have a four way tie between "once upon a time there was you and me" (Tsubasa Chronicle Soundtrack "Future Soundscape IV"), "Kaishou" (Gankutsuou), "Destiny" (X Soundtrack 1), and "Suite for an I-Jin, part II. That man is witty" (Read or Die OVA. The song's in the middle of this stupid, larger 9 minute piece, but it's easy to tell where it begins and ends, so I just used a sound editing program to extricate it from the middle).

Oh wait, I forgot about all the soundtracks from Miyazaki's movies. The Princess Mononoke soundtrack beats every other soundtrack into the ground.

God, I love music!!!
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:07 am Reply with quote
I can identify my favorite opening and closing songs by whether I skip them or not when watching a series. I'll usually watch an opener or closer once for completeness, then pass it by after that, but there are some that I usually can't bring myself to do that too.

The accompanying visuals often count too. The best are those that are original, stylized animations that aren't just lifted from the series or that look like just a collection of scenes that could have been lifted from it.

I would've suggested the classic pair of "Tank!" and "The Real Folk Blues" too. I think that they're great songs and "Tank!" was a personal watershed since the first rapturous moment that I heard that is what set me on the path to really loving jazz. The visual accompaniment is perfect too.

I really like the two openings and the ending the ALI Project made for Bee Train. "Coppelia's Casket" is a stylish, memorable song that did much to pique my interest in Noir while "Lunar Eclipse Grand Guignol" and "Future's Eve" are the only things that I can unequivocally praise about Avenger.

I really like "Duvet" from Serial Experiments Lain too. It's pleasing to the ears and fits the mood of the series pretty well.

"In the Night" from Key the Metal Idol is another excellent one that fits its series, especially the title character's emotional uncertainty, well. I'm thinking of the English version in particular. I especially like the lyric, "With the eyes closed the mind has a perfect view.."

I was immediately taken with "Rondo Revolution" from Revolutionary Girl Utena. It has an appropriate sense of flair and is damned lively too.

"Now and Then, Here and There" from the series of the same name is a curious case. It's a simple instrumental, with very spare visuals to go with it, that somehow feels right even as the series changes from seeming like a young boy's adventure to the grimmer tragedy that it ends as. The closer, "Lullaby", on the other hand, is a gently sad song that becomes more and more fitting as the series goes on. In a way, it's soft sound can be a relief from the intensity that the series builds to, but it creeps into being something very poignant as one listens more carefully to it.

The first opening of The Big O is a blend of really weird and awesome, in the way that Mister T punching a shark is awesome. That it's a close home of Queen's theme for Flash Gordon makes it all the grander. It's either a completely wrong fit for the series, or an uncannily perfect one.

"Dear Bob", the second opening for Witchblade is both weirdly bad and a really off-the-mark fit for the series, especially its second half.

"Kiss kara hajimaru Miracle" from Steel Angel Kurumi, on the other hand, is insidiously catchy. It's just a bubbly, silly, slightly banal song, but nevertheless a cruel earworm.

Something similar applies to whatever the damned English opening for Sailor Moon was. It's such a dorky, but sticky song. It sounds like godawful-o-clock in the way back when to me.

I am just no good at dancing about architecture.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:18 am Reply with quote
gwern wrote:
Quote:

Look, here's the thing about any series from before the year 2000 that, thus far, has never been licensed before, especially during the brief period of anime-related posterity in the West

Posterity?

Probably meant prosperity. Laughing

About the video game that would end all video games, totally creator-driven, remember what happened to Spore? Very Happy

And cheer up, dude. The Simpsons only has 2 more seasons to go. Razz

Lev wrote:

One Piece Rap is the best evar, my sister and I always break out into it at random moments uh huh.

And that's not even the original 4Kids OP! Laughing
(Sadly, that didn't test well on their target audience.)

Regardless, rap has never been a favorite among otaku. That is, unless a loli starts rapping like Sana-chan. Laughing
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:15 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
What about ghost sweeper mikami, we got the movie and I thought that was the end of that, but then Sentai went and released the tv show last year; and I am fairly sure is older than Ninku.

Honestly, I think that was in Mikami's favor, actually- It's still holding onto a bit of the aristic style of the late 80s that can occasionally get a show through on 'nostalgia' factor. Ninku, on the other hand, has a main guy with a very weird style and everyone else in the mid to late 90s style that's very much NOT "in" right now (I seem to remember a picture of the K-On girls done up in different 'era' styles, and the 90s one being the least liked.) Hunter X Hunter is a better example of a recently released show that 'missed the boat' back then... but it had a manga tie-in and didn't go well enough to get its OAVs liscensed.

Nothing's impossible, but right now Ninku's best chances are in some manga startup picking up a related comic (not likely with the way the manga industry's headed), or hoping in another 10 years or so people like me who got into this during that turn of the millenium boom hit our mid-life crises (crisises? I dunno) and start longin' for 'the good anime we used to get'.
omiya

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:40 am Reply with quote
If you like the music of anime and haven't already read the set lists at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animelo_Summer_Live please do so and reply with:

Your favourite OP/ED's that appear somewhere in the set lists; and

Your favourite OP/ED's that are missing from that page.

Having attended the 2011 Animelo Summer Live concerts (and managing to meet Minori Chihara and Chiaki Ishikawa after the concerts) I'll hear any anime featuring a singer/voice actor who sang in the concerts differently.

Last edited by omiya on Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total
TheSwedishElf

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:47 am Reply with quote
ThePoliced wrote:
Damn, nobody voted for the NGE op?, thats like the king of OPs.

What the crap makes so many people think Evangelion's opening pwns so hard? It's good, but not THAT good.

Also, it makes me sad to see anyone say 4Kids' atrocious One Piece rap was a good opening by any stretch of the imagination. ._. At the same time, glad someone else called it out as being amongst the worst crap ever.
Lev

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Someone's never heard of the so-bad-it's-good factor Anime hyper
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:38 pm Reply with quote
My pet peeve in an OP is when it's purely constructed of clips taken from the first episode of the series, e.g. the OP to Abenobashi Magic Shopping Arcade. It's obvious, and generally leads to the inclusion in the OP of completely un-dramatic and non-OP-worthy shots.
I have too many favourite OPs to name, but I have to name an ED: Mahoromatic (i.e. the first season). Oh yes. Very fine.
And for an unfitting ED, I can't go past Ghost Stories' "Sexy Sexy". Shocked
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Brian I believe, by your reply to the first question about format restrictions, that you completely missed the point of his question. I think he was pointing to the "hardware" and "infrastructure" of the business of creating games, or anime. I think he meant the technological limitations, in short the electronic equipment available at present, like cameras, vision mixer desks, audio mixer desks, editing equipment, computers, and the formats that these various combinations service and support. The nuts and bolts connected to bits of long copper, and more recently glass fibre cables, where you seemed to be talking about production policies and ethics. To answer that question in a technological manor is to say; yes they are, and the reason for that is cost of new equipment and upgrades. As soon as any new piece of electronic equipment designed and researched for electronic media puts "broadcast" on the label that's a multiple of 1,000 to 100,000 on the price of that same bit of kit made for even "professional" or "domestic" purposes. So even in the bull market days before Lehman's it would cost millions to replace older, now obsolete equipment, and if whatever broadcast production facility, or studio weren't pulling in the readies in large amounts to pay for that, they had to go hat in hand to the investment bankers for a loan, and we all know what happened next with all that. So yes a creative author, or producer might wakeup in a cold soaking sweat with the mind blowing concept of the millenium fresh from his dream, but he's limited in his Damocles style flight to the Sun by the ceiling of available technology to help him, or her fly there. A situation that James Cameron came up against when he wanted to create Avatar. He had to literally invent the technology as he went along making the movie, and he bet his entire career on it being a success. He got lucky, as to date he is the only Producer/Director who is able to get away with it. Still took him 10 years to do it. We in the industry have clichéd it as "State of the art". We never say no, but we then ask "what kind of budget are we talking about?" Gets'em everytime. Wink
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:02 pm Reply with quote
You work in television? You were speaking from a 1st-person view.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3