• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - We Can't Have Nice Things

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:02 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if I have a clear favorite as far as an opening song. Maybe a tie between the opening of Ghost in the Shell SAC ("Inner Universe") and the opening of Witch Hunter Robin ("Shell") which I only got to hear when rewatching on DVD as [as] was kind enough to cut it out to cram another commercial in.

As for a favorite ending, it would definitely be the ending from Fantastic Children. I don't recall the title offhand but I do recall it is by the same artist as "Inner Universe". Honorable mention goes to "Beautiful World" from Kino's Journey and the ending from Boogiepop Phantom, the soundtrack from which is my favorite anime soundtrack.
TheSwedishElf

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Lev wrote:
Someone's never heard of the so-bad-it's-good factor Anime hyper

No, I have. I just fail to see how the One Piece rap qualifies.
maaya

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:00 am Reply with quote
Quote:
But let me ask this: How big an impact do the American tastes have on what Anime is produced?

I think one thing you didn't mention, but that also plays a role in this, is the fact that Japanese people do watch a lot of US TV series and movies. While anime creators (a lot of them being anime geeks themselves) might watch less than the average person, I suppose they still do watch quite a bit (simply because there aren't a lot of anime movies at the cinema). And so sometimes they will be influenced to a certain degree by these movies they consume and probably enjoy.

Precisely with Tiger & Bunny, from the interview they did here on ANN, they didn't really try to create a series with international appeal, but rather a series that appeals to the (Japanese) people watching and enjoying US TV series (who are a larger group than those watching and enjoying anime). And both X-Men and Heroes were / are really successful in Japan.
Sea Lion

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:25 am Reply with quote
As far as openings, one which is usually regarded as better than the show it precedes is "Bomb-A-Head" from Tenjho Tenge. Catchy little hip-hop tune.

For intensely personal reasons, the ED song "The World of Midnight" from Black Lagoon will forever hold a special place in my heart. To this day, I well up when I hear it.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:51 pm Reply with quote
How about that Escaflowne ED Mystic Eyes?! I remember a lot of people not enamored of that one back then. Laughing
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:14 pm Reply with quote
I always loved the ending of Rahxephon. Smooth and silky. Wink
Lev

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:39 pm Reply with quote
TheSwedishElf wrote:
Lev wrote:
Someone's never heard of the so-bad-it's-good factor Anime hyper

No, I have. I just fail to see how the One Piece rap qualifies.

Fair enough, to each his own.

@enurtsol- I absolutely love the opening of Escaflowne, but Mystic Eyes is just horrible haha. I always have to wonder what they thought was good about it xD
ZenAmako

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:45 pm Reply with quote
My favorite anime theme is from a series that I didn't really watch or like. It's the opening for Record of Lodoss War TV sung by Maaya Sakamoto. I never skip that when it pops up on my iPod.

I have heard many, many anime songs and only a few stand out today. My top 5 looks something like this.

1. "Sea of Miracles," Record of Lodoss War TV (opening)
2. "Street Corner of Farewell," Zillion: Burning Night (ending)
3. "Orange Mystery," Kimagure Orange Road (ending)
4. "A Beautiful Star," Windaria (ending)
5. "There's a Hurricane Tonight," Bubblegum Crisis (opening)
eyeresist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:18 am Reply with quote
Yay they printed my letter! Crying or Very sad

So of course now I've remembered some others I could have mentioned:

Fruits Basket OP and ED - both make me weepy, so beautiful...
Last Exile OP always gives me a rush, especially the ending.
And four little words: "Ride on shooting star."

The Gundam SEED themes have been mentioned in this thread. That first ED was so great, especially the way they would fade it in over the final scene.

Finally, I may be the only person who actually kinda liked the Berserk OP and ED, though I admit it took a while. The way the music was so droning and primitive and depressing turned out to be really appropriate to the series IMO. That said, not something I want to listen to very often.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:57 am Reply with quote
eyeresist wrote:

The Gundam SEED themes have been mentioned in this thread. That first ED was so great, especially the way they would fade it in over the final scene.

How about the EDs to Fushigi Yuugi and Marmalade Boy too? Laughing
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:44 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Look, here's the thing about any series from before the year 2000 that, thus far, has never been licensed before, especially during the brief period of anime-related posterity in the West. That ship... has sailed. It has sailed far, far away, to a distant land, where it hangs out with Magellan and Cortes in search of valuable spices and silk.
I'd say 2000 is a rather low-end, generous estimate of the "viability cutoff" year. I'd put it at more like 2006, as I can't see most early/mid-00s titles as having a good chance of success. Since almost everything from that era was an SD digital production, companies would have to do either DVD-only or (inevitably poorly-) upscaled Blu-Ray releases. Not to mention, a fair amount of those titles were 4:3, which sadly makes them even more passé.

Sentai dipped back to 2004 with Uta~Kata awhile ago, but that was a pretty rare exception. I don't see much hope for titles like Da Capo, Rizelmine, Tales of Eternia, Sugar Sugar Rune, Yami to Boushi..., Zettai Shounen, Twin Spica, Bartender, and various others. Of course, some of those weren't exactly in highly-marketable genres to begin with.

ZenAmako wrote:

3. "Orange Mystery," Kimagure Orange Road (ending)

That's actually the 2nd OP, not an ending.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3