• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Horror anime recommendations.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:19 am Reply with quote
It's been a while since we've had a reccomendations thread (I think) and since someone recently asked for anime that someone else described as "gore," I thought that starting a Horror thread might be a good idea...not that I'm the best person for the genre! Embarassed

But! I do know of one!

Kakurenbo.

This one was scary, to me at least. It involves children in a game of "Hide and Seek" and let's just say, if the child is found, the end result ain't pretty...and it's even worse for the "winner"!
-------------------------
Zalis-EDIT: Please keep these guidelines in mind when recommending horror anime:
Quote:
horror (morbid, gruesome, frightening)
Attempts to make the viewer experience dread, fear, terror, or horror, including the revulsion that can be felt at the sight of blood, gore, grotesque and slimy things. Often the plot involves the intrusion of an evil force on the mundane world and the (horrific) consequences thereof.
.Qwerty

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Something good from the horror genre would be "elfen lied" - really enjoyed watching it.. "Hellsing OAV", all 3 weren't bad and angel sanctuary (if you can even call it horror Confused )
Also seen "gungrave", "ergo proxy", "baldar force EXE", "death note".. I didn't see much horor in those listed above (not Hellsing, elfen lied, those are horror Very Happy ) , but the encyclopedia says othervise, tho they all were really good ^^
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Everytime this comes up I recommend Requiem from the Darkness (Natsuhiko Kyougoku's Worldly Horror Stories).

While I myself wouldn't call it "bite your nails scary", I would call it extremely twisted. Although I think children and young adults would be quite scared. It is about a young traveling author who wishes to make a book filled with 100 ghostly tales. He litereally falls into the lap of a very strange group of people, and becomes there travel companion. As he sees it, these people will lead him to all sorts of great stories to fill his book. But perhaps he bit off more than he could chew. Although he has every chance to leave the travelling group of his own free will(most of the time), he finds himself lingering.

To me the art styling is just gorgeous to look at, and no matter how dark things sometimes get, there is a strange beauty to it as well. Set in the feudal era, although a very mystic one, it is unique as it goes from very pretty to very ugly. It is difficult to explain, but unique is the only way to describe it, I think. Each episode generally tells a different tale(monster of the week), although there are some two-parters. However, even with that type of story telling there is an overall theme, which you get hints of throughout, and it does come to a conclustion.(which makes me cry) Crying or Very sad

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:03 pm Reply with quote
I had mixed feelings towards Kakurenbo. It is a must watch, if you are interested in good CG effects. I wouldn't rank it very high on the gore scale. I'm not a big fan of short films, and the lack of character expressions always hurts my connection to the characters. This is a similar problem I had with Desert Punk where the main protagonist's face is rarely seen.

Requiem from the Darkness is an amazing series. I love the art style which reminds me of Soultaker, but even better. I agree that most of the material is really twisted making Tales from the Crypt look really tame in comparison.
Pityless/Envy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni? (When They Cry)

Episode 4 is amazing. Although I didn't find any of the later arcs scary after I knew what to expect.

Ghost Hunt

I've only seen the early episodes of the series, however, I heard some of the later episodes were scary.

Those are the only two I can think of at the moment.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:48 pm Reply with quote
I'll go old school, and more modern, and toss out Vampire Hunter D (original) and Vampire Hunter D: Blood Lust. Here we have two great examples of a good vampire movie. The original is old but it's still a great watch. It's entertaining and the story is clich'ed (girl gets bitten, hero helps her) but it worked in this case. Plus for it's time the animation was pretty fluid. Now the much much later sequel, Blood Lust, was a visual feast. Again you have the hero trying to help a girl. She gets kidnapped and the family hires D to go save her. Except unlike in the first movie this time he has competition. The animation is fluid and the backgrounds are visually stunning. The colors look rich and full and are simply stunning. The story I think was also a bit better compared to the first movie (not that there was anything wrong with it). All in all these are two great examples of a good Vampire movie. The original is also an anime classic and part of that early anime wave that made the genre so popular here. You owe it to yourself simply as an anime fan to check them out and if you love horror and vampires then you have even more reason to watch them.
jigoku_hime

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:28 am Reply with quote
Ghost Hunt was probably the only anime that I've watched in the horror genre. I'm not a big fan of horror anime since I get scared easily. There were some episodes in Ghost Hunt that were really scary and made me terrified but there were also episodes that are just plain silly.
Bunchuu of Chouka

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Horror happens to be my favorite genre!
I've been looking for more scary shows recently, so I decided to revive this thread.
As far as reccomendations go, I would suggest these titles:

Ayakashi- Samurai Horror Tales- This series is a short one (eleven episodes, I think), but it features some great traditional Japanese horror tales. I haven't seen the Tenshu Monogatari arc yet, but the other two are very good. Tokaido Yotsuya Kaidan is arguably the best-known traditional Japanese horror story, and it was a very good (even somewhat eerie) story. The Bake Neko arc was amazing, and it featured some of the best animation I've ever seen. I highly reccomend this series to anyone who wants a good scare. It isn't the scariest thing I've ever seen, but it unnerved me quite a bit at times.

Doomed Megalopolis- A short 4-episode OVA based on the novel Teito Monogatari.
This series takes place shortly after the Meiji era and it documents many historical events such as the Great Kanto Earthquake of 1923, as well as Japan's industrial revolution.
All of that aside, an evil Onmyoji shows up- a man named Yasunori Kato. Kato wants to rouse the spirit of Tokyo's guardian spirit Masakado- something that would result in the destruction of Japan. This OVA is an epic battle between good and evil, and it should not be missed!

Boogiepop Phantom- This series is too complex to summarize in a single post. Easily one of the scariest shows I've ever watched, I highly reccomend it to those who are looking for something both scary and psychological. The art style is haunting, and the use of sound makes many of the scary moments more poignant.

And, as others have said, Requiem From the Darkness is an excellent show. It is very twisted and has some great creepy moments.
So- what other shows of this genre have you folks enjoyed?
NocturnalUX

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Bunchuu of Chouka wrote:

Boogiepop Phantom- This series is too complex to summarize in a single post. Easily one of the scariest shows I've ever watched, I highly reccomend it to those who are looking for something both scary and psychological. The art style is haunting, and the use of sound makes many of the scary moments more poignant.

I second this, Boogiepop Phantom is nothing short of downward creepy and haunting. The psychological meanderings are extremely well blended with he horror elements. Not only is it very complex as already stated as it has an aura of sheer doom that pervades everything, from the dark hues that make most of the colour scheme to the characters themselves.

I'd add Pet Shop of Horrorsas a worthy horror anime title. It's about a very unorthodox petshop, for lack of a better term, owned by the mysterious Count D. Clients who purchase pets from Count D's shop end up having much more (or perhaps just what they) bargained for. The OVA only covers four stories but they are all charged with creepy moments as people succumb to insanity. The supernatural element gives everything a certain edge and D himself is rather scary in his sheer nonchalance.

And now I am curious about Requiem From the Darkness, I should check it out one of these days.
Bunchuu of Chouka

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:19 pm Reply with quote
NocturnalUX wrote:
Bunchuu of Chouka wrote:

I'd add Pet Shop of Horrorsas a worthy horror anime title. It's about a very unorthodox petshop, for lack of a better term, owned by the mysterious Count D. Clients who purchase pets from Count D's shop end up having much more (or perhaps just what they) bargained for. The OVA only covers four stories but they are all charged with creepy moments as people succumb to insanity. The supernatural element gives everything a certain edge and D himself is rather scary in his sheer nonchalance.

And now I am curious about Requiem From the Darkness, I should check it out one of these days.

Exclamation
How did I forget about Pet Shop of Horrors? It's only flaw is that it's too short! This is a great OVA- with many creepy moments. I absolutely loved the character designs and the animation in this one.
Unfortunately, the DVD is REALLY hard to find. Last I checked, I could find it used on Amazon for $65- and that was the lowest price. I think Urban Vision's liscense for this show has expired, so we may never see an official release again in the States. I had to watch it all on Youtube ):
Still, if you get the chance, check this one out- either on Youtube, or on the elusive DVD.

Oh, and NocturnalUX-
I bought all of the singles for Requiem from the Darkness on Rightstuf a few months ago for $10 each. I would reccomend getting the first one and then seeing if you like it- $10 isn't too much, after all. Wink
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Paranoia Agent: I can't believe no mentioned this series yet. The anime portrays stories of various people who have been attacked by the person known as "Lil' Slugger". While at the same time telling an intense story of two detectives who are desperately trying to catch him. The story is a psychological masterpiece and should be enjoyed by any horror fan. Not to mention it was directed by Satoshi Kon and written by Seishi Minakami. (I really liked the episode titled "Happy Family Planing" it's a really entertaining and messed up episode.)

Paprika: While I'm talking about Satoshi Kon and Seishi Minakami I should also mention this movie. It's about a unknown criminal who steals an experimental device known as the DC Mini. This device allows the physiologists to recode and study people's dreams. But when this criminal gets a hold of it he uses it to implant these dreams into the consciousness of others. This causes them to fall into a delusional state that often ends badly. So now it's up to Dr. Atsuko Chiba and her alter-ego Paprika, to stop the unknown threat. I enjoyed this movie although I don't think it was as good as Paranoia Agent.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sogekihei-neko

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:35 pm Reply with quote
I'll have to jump in with Higurashi no Naku Koro ni. Well worth a watch if you like suspense/horror.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:08 am Reply with quote
Try to remember to provide reasons guys. I mean, these are recommendations, as in they are specific selections in this genre that you think would be good choices for people. With that in mind, you really need to provide a reason as to why you recommended those particular titles. Besides, listing is against the rules anyways.
Symmetrical_Magician

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:09 pm Reply with quote
I'm seconding Ghost Hunt. It has a very... I'll say classic creepy feeling, with poltergeists, strange dolls, and twisted houses. As cliche as that might sound, it's not a bad thing. Watching this show provides a similar atmosphere to listening to ghost stories, frightening but not unpleasant. The cases are given multiple episodes for development, instead of just one. It really helps to build suspense, especially later in the series.
klmnumbers

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Pityless/Envy wrote:
Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni? (When They Cry)

Episode 4 is amazing. Although I didn't find any of the later arcs scary after I knew what to expect.

Ghost Hunt

I've only seen the early episodes of the series, however, I heard some of the later episodes were scary.

Those are the only two I can think of at the moment.

Ghost Hunt is one of my favorite humor/horror anime ever. The second "hunt" genuinely creeped me out SO much, but the series also had me laughing like an idiot. The second to last ghost hunt was equally disturbing. D:

It's excellent at creating an environment for the supernatural to occur, imo. With each hunt lasting 4 episodes (generally), it's a slow burn of horror with more and more compiling upon our characters. The second to last hunt at the old mansion where all the different teams are brought in to examine it scared me SO much. The way the creators used Mai's dream sequences was disturbing.

It's such an underrated anime!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6