• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Virginian Teen Suspended over Names in 'Death Note'

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
suna_suna

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:07 pm Reply with quote
child of Lilith wrote:
“People have the right to react suspiciously and cautiously given what goes on in schools these days”, give me a break, this guy rights some names down in a note book and you start making comparisons to the Virginia Tech massacre.
I remember a incident much like this back when I was still in high school were two boys at my school were trading treating letters back in for between each other for the fun of it, a teacher found out about it and they were sent the principles office. Do want to know what happened next? He took the time talked to them about it and found out it was nothing more then a dumb came they were playing. He then told them to stop doing it or they would get in serious trouble, and wonders of wonders they agreed to stop doing it and to never do it again it the future. You see the lesson here, no one was suspend, no one was held up the eyes of the world as the next Charles Manson, all it took was about a hours worth of work to straiten the whole mess out. If those involved in this current mess had just taken the time to find out what was really going on this whole mess might have been avoided.

he was not just writing down names in a regular notebook, it was a notebook that clearly says "DEATH" on the front cover.

and secondly, when were you in high school? if you were not in it last year, when at least 3 deadly school related shootings occured, then you have no reason to compare these two incidents. threatening letters between two people, friends no less, is different than a list of people that this student was not friends with. did those students whose names were written, know about the deathnote untill recently? maybe not. did those two students know about the threatening letters being just a joke? yes. unless they were threatening another student as well. despite the several hours that were used to determine the reason, they still had a very good chance of being suspended or expelled, depending on the true content of the letters. this death note thing couldn't have gone on for as short a time as you make it seem. he was probably sent to the principle as well, and that was when they realized that he was making this joke on his own with no outside knowledge.

to go back to my question to you, if you were in high school before the Columbine incident, and yes i know it was not the first incident (but it was the worst until VT), then it may not have been as much a problem. another thing that seperates both Columbine and VT, is that the killers in both incidents were students themselves.

btw, if you were in high school after these incidents, then perhaps the letters were not met with appropriate action.
Fallout2man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:

We aren't talking about your school, we aren't talking about someone who simply said the word gun and got suspended. We aren't talking about someone who got sent home because he didn't shave. And we aren't talking about someone who got his/her cell phone confiscated. This is completly different, and if you can't see the difference then your either not in reality, or are just being a whiney nihilistic brat.

Well what I'M talking about, is your attitude towards school environments. I'm providing examples I have from personal experience about what happens when people apply that sort of sentiment in the real world.

Quote:
Why is the school all of sudden not supposed to take hit lists, fake or not, seriously??? When prank fire alarms are pulled, does not the same school empty out into the courtyard regardless??? Yes, they do. And when they find out who did it, do they punish them??? Yes, they do.

Should they have suspended this kid for a day? probably, just to get some time to figure things out. That said a purely punitive approach isn't going to help anything. Then again I'm not really talking so much about the incident in it of itself but rather your attitude on the whole issue. Keeping a school safe is important, but there are reasonable limits to what one needs to do in creating a good and healthy environment.

Of course, our public schools weren't exactly meant to educate anyway, so I guess you could say it's something of a moot point.

Quote:
Or in other words there should be no rules Rolling Eyes. Because rules = oppression Laughing Rolling Eyes. I am sorry you went to such an unjust school. In mine we had some of those very same rules, like no cell phones, and yes, they would take them. Or no short skirts, and yes they would send you home to change. And the vast majority of my class of 400 turned out A ok. And oh yeah, I am pretty damn sure if someone was caught making a hit list, fake or not, they would get in big trouble for it.

Rules need to be reasonable. Zero tolerance is bullshit, no facial hair is bullshit, and so are a lot of dress codes schools implement. Sure there need to be limits, but I think if you just base everything off the idea that anything that may disrupt learning should be banned, and try to harshly enforce that, you're just going to either create a bunch of angry youths who resent all authority or a bunch of blind morons who don't question anything.

The people I knew who were the healthiest were troublemakers because they realized what was bullshit and they didn't care about the rules that made no sense.

Quote:
But no, we can't have any rules or standards, that would be a vast injustice. And anyone who doesn't wear a Che Guevara T-shirt is just a cog in the wheel, right? Rolling Eyes

The irony being that Che Guevara has become an icon of pop culture himself now, funny isn't it? Rules are necessary but too many people get caught up in the easy idea of banning things without regard or thought for whether it's really necessary or does any real good.

Then again, I always thought schools were supposed to strive to create smart independent thinkers. Yet at every turn I am reminded of the vicious cycle of most people produced from public education. Rules are necessary, laws are necessary, but we must be highly critical about what rules and what laws we need. We have to evaluate everything very closely because each time we take away something, it has to be worthwhile and we need to know that for sure first.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:59 am Reply with quote
Jeez dude, why are you so determined to defend this? He did a dumb thing. Was it a real threat? Highly doubtful. Was it the end of the world? No. Thus he got suspended. Is that the end of the world? No. You go on and on about how everyone is blowing this out of proportion but really, by not just accepting that he did something somewhat bad and it resulted in a relatively minor punishment, you really are just blowing this out of proportion just as much, if not more so than them.

Last edited by ikillchicken on Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:41 am; edited 1 time in total
child of Lilith

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:09 am Reply with quote
suna_suna wrote:
child of Lilith wrote:
“People have the right to react suspiciously and cautiously given what goes on in schools these days”, give me a break, this guy rights some names down in a note book and you start making comparisons to the Virginia Tech massacre.
I remember a incident much like this back when I was still in high school were two boys at my school were trading treating letters back in for between each other for the fun of it, a teacher found out about it and they were sent the principles office. Do want to know what happened next? He took the time talked to them about it and found out it was nothing more then a dumb came they were playing. He then told them to stop doing it or they would get in serious trouble, and wonders of wonders they agreed to stop doing it and to never do it again it the future. You see the lesson here, no one was suspend, no one was held up the eyes of the world as the next Charles Manson, all it took was about a hours worth of work to straiten the whole mess out. If those involved in this current mess had just taken the time to find out what was really going on this whole mess might have been avoided.

he was not just writing down names in a regular notebook, it was a notebook that clearly says "DEATH" on the front cover.

and secondly, when were you in high school? if you were not in it last year, when at least 3 deadly school related shootings occured, then you have no reason to compare these two incidents. threatening letters between two people, friends no less, is different than a list of people that this student was not friends with. did those students whose names were written, know about the deathnote untill recently? maybe not. did those two students know about the threatening letters being just a joke? yes. unless they were threatening another student as well. despite the several hours that were used to determine the reason, they still had a very good chance of being suspended or expelled, depending on the true content of the letters. this death note thing couldn't have gone on for as short a time as you make it seem. he was probably sent to the principle as well, and that was when they realized that he was making this joke on his own with no outside knowledge.

to go back to my question to you, if you were in high school before the Columbine incident, and yes i know it was not the first incident (but it was the worst until VT), then it may not have been as much a problem. another thing that seperates both Columbine and VT, is that the killers in both incidents were students themselves.

btw, if you were in high school after these incidents, then perhaps the letters were not met with appropriate action.

Not met with appropriate action? The problem was solved quickly and no one got hurt, how does that constitute as being the wrong action. So what your saying is both of theses boys should have been expelled and then the principle should have held a press conferences announcing it to the world? I forgot to mention this before but one of the boys in question was known to have emotional problems, what pray tell do you think would have happen if they had just expelled him without trying to find out what was really going on first. If they had simply kicked him out they might very well have created the very dooms day scenario you people keep talking about. The fact they chose to use some common since first effectively closed off the path to this scenario before it could ever happen. Most of you seem to think pushing someone further into a corner is going to fix things but it only makes things worse. By the way you never answered my last question, but jugging from what you’ve written I’m guessing your answer would be no, and that doesn’t surprise me in the lest.
suna_suna

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:51 am Reply with quote
very well i will answer.

Quote:
Now I have a question for all of you, are you going to take any responsibility on to yourself if this guy now goes out and does something violent because he has been labeled by all of you as a budding sociopath, because if he does the reason for whatever he does will most certainly lead right back to this current mess.

and i shall do so with a question of my own. when did we ever label him as a budding sociopath? i for one said that i felt that the school had taken apropriate action given the circumstances surrounding the incident. secondly, why in the hell would i need to take resposibility? i'm in colorado, and he is in virginia. i have no say into what he does, so i cannot take responsibility if he does something violent. i mearly say that the school should run a psychoanalysis to see if he has any budding problems just in case.

and about the letters thing, you never answered my questions, if you knew the answers to some of the more personal ones. and i never said they should just kick him out. apropriate actions given the circumstances of the years 2006-2007, perhaps there needed to be a stricter reaction to a joke like this that involves threats, even among friends.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:04 am Reply with quote
suna_suna wrote:
and i shall do so with a question of my own. when did we ever label him as a budding sociopath?

A couple of you via proxy, still a number of you by your words, a few of you for actually upholding the suspension AND claiming it was a good thing to do.....

Dargonxtc wrote:
Hon'ya-chan:

You don't play what-if games like your doing with peoples lives. If your still in school, which I imagine you are, I suggest you start writing hit lists immediately. And don't overly hide it either, and make sure in big letters at the top it says something to the effect of "People whom will die" followed by a specific list of real classmates.

Dargonxtc: Death by electrocution. A friend gives him a link to a YouTube video of a Japanese ATM. As he views the video, he takes a few big sips from a bottle of Soda. Preferably a 2 Liter version. About to the point where the ATM goes into print club mode and takes a picture, his laughing grows uncontrollably. By the time the ATM fouls up and asks to redo the transaction session again, he takes a good 1/2 cup of soda into his mouth. When the ATM acts like a smart ass, he spurts out the soda all over his keyboard. His hand hits the keyboard and he is electrocuted.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:10 am Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
suna_suna wrote:
and i shall do so with a question of my own. when did we ever label him as a budding sociopath?

A couple of you via proxy, still a number of you by your words, a few of you for actually upholding the suspension AND claiming it was a good thing to do.....

So by saying I, and anyone else who agrees, think the suspension was a good idea that means I labeled him as a budding sociopath? Really? And where did any of us say that oh Mr. all knowing one? Perhaps you shouldn't think for other people and make assumptions. Your little example was also rather immature and ignorant. Try growing up a little.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:20 am Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:
So by saying I, and anyone else who agrees, think the suspension was a good idea that means I labeled him as a budding sociopath? Really?

Yes, cause all you agreed to is simply suspending him. No psychiatric help (either voluntary or forced), no talking things over, no nothing. Just dump his ass and offer no help.

And by default as well, you share some blame when he decides to unleash some .45 cal fury at his school. All because you didn't bother to suggest helping him. All you did was support a tactic that either wakes him up, or causes him to go off the deep end.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:34 am Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
psycho 101 wrote:
So by saying I, and anyone else who agrees, think the suspension was a good idea that means I labeled him as a budding sociopath? Really?

Yes, cause all you agreed to is simply suspending him. No psychiatric help (either voluntary or forced), no talking things over, no nothing. Just dump his ass and offer no help.

And by default as well, you share some blame when he decides to unleash some .45 cal fury at his school. All because you didn't bother to suggest helping him. All you did was support a tactic that either wakes him up, or causes him to go off the deep end.

Wow, it must really be nice up there on your moral pedestal. Sorry but I don't share a bit of blame for anything he does, you do, or the pope for that matter. I am only responsible for one person's actions, my own. The same for everyone else. It's called personal responsibility, look it up buddy. As for the "help" he might need, and I stress the word might, that's his parents department and not mine. So again, don't start throwing out blame onto everyone else based on some sort of moral blanket judgments you seem to have.
Hotaruzuki

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:20 pm Reply with quote
ugghhhhh........this is stupid! I can understand why they would be concerned but....jeeze I don't know.....
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:23 pm Reply with quote
There there...

Don't get so confused. No one in that faculty knows what Death Note is.

I still don't know how they got that website either, though. *scratches head.*
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:09 pm Reply with quote
tyger i'm going to guess that the deathnote wiki, the DEATH NOTE - U.S. Official Anime Site, and the other 6 sites before that one didn't give them enough info to go on.

I can see where Hoya is coming from though a bit. Anytime something happens to a student in school they are suspended. There is no offer for counciling or anything that could help the child (if needed be) just get out of school and go home.

Miss school work, get behinnd in class. And if there is a real problem going on inside your head get even more anrgy and have a few days to get your weapons of mass destruction together.

It's almost like the girl who ran out of her house to catch the bus while making pb&J realized she had the butterknife in her hand and tossed it in her backpack to take home later.

It fell out of her locker and volia! Girl is apparently trying to get her StabbyMcStabStab on. EXPLUSION!!!

To further point that Zero tolerence is stupid Our horrible childern Some of the news articles on there make my head hurt.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:00 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
tyger i'm going to guess that the deathnote wiki, the DEATH NOTE - U.S. Official Anime Site, and the other 6 sites before that one didn't give them enough info to go on.

Heh, Or they thought it was way too much info. =P

o.o wow, I didn't know about that girl though...that's pretty awful. x_x
child of Lilith

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:16 pm Reply with quote
suna_suna wrote:
very well i will answer.

Quote:
Now I have a question for all of you, are you going to take any responsibility on to yourself if this guy now goes out and does something violent because he has been labeled by all of you as a budding sociopath, because if he does the reason for whatever he does will most certainly lead right back to this current mess.

and i shall do so with a question of my own. when did we ever label him as a budding sociopath? i for one said that i felt that the school had taken apropriate action given the circumstances surrounding the incident. secondly, why in the hell would i need to take resposibility? i'm in colorado, and he is in virginia. i have no say into what he does, so i cannot take responsibility if he does something violent. i mearly say that the school should run a psychoanalysis to see if he has any budding problems just in case.

and about the letters thing, you never answered my questions, if you knew the answers to some of the more personal ones. and i never said they should just kick him out. apropriate actions given the circumstances of the years 2006-2007, perhaps there needed to be a stricter reaction to a joke like this that involves threats, even among friends.

The world is no more and no less dangerous then it ever has been. Believing that these tragedies changed things for the worse is ridicules and naïve. Also suna_suna, since you seem to care so much about whether I went to high school before or after theses tragedies I’ll tell you, it was after they occurred. However this fact changes nothing nor does it invalidate my point of view. I don’t need to currently be enrolled in high school to recognize an overzealous response to something that may or may not have meant anything in the first palace. By the way its not the fact he was suspended I have a problem with it’s the whole circus sideshow that sprung up around this incident. It’s jumping at shadows like this that prevents real dangers from being recognized for what they are and action from being taken before it’s to late. After all you can only shout “fire!” in a crowed theater every time someone lights a cigarette before people stop taking it seriously. Lastly, you mentioned how could you possible be responsible for any violent actions he may take in the future, I wasn’t speaking of you in particular but society as a whole. When someone is pushed out of society and is made and outcast with no hope of redemption or salvation, when that person is told by society that they are nothing but a sub human monster you really cant be surprised when they really become one and act accordingly. That’s what I meant by being reasonable. Sure you may never have anything to do with this person, you may never even meet, but by being a member of this society you still have to share in some of the blame. That’s what it means to part of a society, all for one and one for all, ether we all take our fare share of the blame and responsibility or none of us do. Any society that refuses to stand together, especially in the worst of times, is nothing more then a mass of individuals and nothing more.
suna_suna

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:26 pm Reply with quote
though i hate to do it,

suna_suna wrote:
the school should keep him suspended untill an investigation into his mental health is done, which if it really was a joke shouldn't take that long.

so, that'sd me writing him off and suspending him without any furter help mor investigation, that's it, problem solved? yeah right.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9