• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Virginian Teen Suspended over Names in 'Death Note'

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shougo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:50 am Reply with quote
jetz wrote:
That's a little extreme. I think it's ridiculous that people are getting all worked up just because of Death Note. It's a great anime, but come on - it's a work of fiction.

Better hide my Death Note notebook Laughing

That's true but kids are easily influenced by what they read.
Theorys

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:21 am Reply with quote
Um, back in the 1950's Warner Bros. came out with a cartoon character, it looked like a penguin I think, that wanted to leave his small town and "make it" in Hollywood. He came back home after failing miserably and his mom asked him, "so how'd it go." "He basically said, "I didn't make it....but I HAVE A LIST OF NAMES!" - completely ridiculing him for his powerlessness. (He basically went around writing down names of people who didn't give him what he wanted - because he couldn't do anything else to them.)

I think that the worst thing possible for a person who writes down actual names in a notebook is the humiliation he will deal with at the hands of his peers. Wink It's a release of angst only, many kids do that - and there's nothing wrong with it.

This post sure stinkith of alot of fear and ignorance over an anime. LOL
Theorys

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:25 am Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
It's kind of funny, call me a pessimist but the first time I heard about the premise of DN I thought, 'If this ever gets really popular there's gonna be so many issues with death threats and such...' I don't think it's too surprising. Even the creator had to know stuff like this would happen if the series became popular, it just sort of goes with the territory. CN certainly knows it, considering DN's midnight timeslot.

You do realize that Death Notes don't work...right? Rolling Eyes
Kazekun

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I don't see why people do this. Yeah, it's a book where whoever's name you write in it dies. But it only works in the story, their basically making a hit list. This is a perfect example of: Stupidity.
It's a great manga & anime, but seriously, why even bother trying to create one of your own? You need a shinigami to do that. Smile

I'm glad I have the entire manga series before it eventually gets banned from shelves (it's banned from China because of this, if it keeps up here then it'll be banned here too)
Bissrok

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:20 pm Reply with quote
This seems a little over dramatic. It's not a hit list. By writing their names down, he's not expecting them to die. Even if it wasn't a fictional animated series, you wouldn't be able to just make one on your own. Assuming he understands those concepts, then his only crime is writing down the names of people he's mad at. If he was insane, or mad enough to kill, he probably would have spent less time making a Death Note and more time actually killing people.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Kazekun wrote:
Honestly, I don't see why people do this. Yeah, it's a book where whoever's name you write in it dies. But it only works in the story, their basically making a hit list. This is a perfect example of: Stupidity.
It's a great manga & anime, but seriously, why even bother trying to create one of your own? You need a shinigami to do that. Smile

I'm glad I have the entire manga series before it eventually gets banned from shelves (it's banned from China because of this, if it keeps up here then it'll be banned here too)

Bissrok wrote:
This seems a little over dramatic. It's not a hit list. By writing their names down, he's not expecting them to die. Even if it wasn't a fictional animated series, you wouldn't be able to just make one on your own. Assuming he understands those concepts, then his only crime is writing down the names of people he's mad at. If he was insane, or mad enough to kill, he probably would have spent less time making a Death Note and more time actually killing people.

Theorys wrote:
You do realize that Death Notes don't work...right?

You guys just aren't getting it.

Yes, WE know that the Death Note isn't real. But THEY do not. THEY cannot take the chance that this idiot is not an idiot and is really a ticking time bomb waiting for something to set him off. There have been too many times where the signs have been there concerning a student(s) (VA Tech and Columbine are two serious examples) and NO ONE did sh*t about it. If it is the choice of protecting one student's right of "free speech" over the rights of many students to live, I hope that THEY chose the many over the one.

As far as I'm concerned this kid is damned lucky that all he got was a suspension.
blind_assassin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:12 pm Reply with quote
People like this kid are what's wrong with our society. I personally don't think he was any serious threat. Death Notes don't do anything and unless he was writing "has his flesh melted off his face before forty tonnes of concrete land on him as his house burns down" after every name then there isn't much proof that he was a serious threat. But because of the way people are obviously going to react he's ruining things for everyone. After people do stupid shit like this the schools go overboard on "taking appropriate measures" and ban things that really don't relate to what happened at all and just focus on cracking down so hard on the other students that they'd be more likely to lash out at authority and teachers than before.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:14 pm Reply with quote
blind_assassin wrote:
People like this kid are what's wrong with our society. I personally don't think he was any serious threat. Death Notes don't do anything and unless he was writing "has his flesh melted off his face before forty tonnes of concrete land on him as his house burns down" after every name then there isn't much proof that he was a serious threat. But because of the way people are obviously going to react he's ruining things for everyone. After people do stupid shit like this the schools go overboard on "taking appropriate measures" and ban things that really don't relate to what happened at all and just focus on cracking down so hard on the other students that they'd be more likely to lash out at authority and teachers than before.

And you are right as well.

There are just so many sides, that's why officials just can't take the chance that people like that AREN"T serious.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Kazekun wrote:

How long have you been dealing with school systems? I received a call the day of the Homecoming Dance with a recorded message of all the things a kid would get kicked out of the dance for doing (No between the legs? No jitterbug, huh?)-like 5 things. School administrations are basically humorless & veer to the lowest common denominator. Individuals can be intelligent, but as an entity they are looking to avoid causing parents to complain. Community standards & all that,

Most schools have well-publicized "zero tolerance" policies. As a senior, this kid had to know about them. How many kids with a real "hit-list" wouldn't have the brains to paa it off as a joke, so the school has to take it all seriously

Why would you think the principal couldn't find a Deathnote site? I have lots of co-workers who are intelligent enough to do an internet search. As for not going with Wikipedia, the Principal might have felt the site he found explained it better, or was the one given him by one of his staff.

Not everyone over 30 is an idiot, you know.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:38 pm Reply with quote
I think this whole thing is a crazy over-reaction. Do they apply the same consequeces to those who write the names down of fellow stutdents in a regular note book?

Am I the only one who owns a deathnote to write down my assignments? Important date, etc?

And sure it comes down to an us knowing and them not. But if they took a moment to educate themseleves instead of just going by the first thing that pops up in google....they'd realize how stupid they were.

As for the kid....well. I wonder what type of person he is. Is he one of those kids who- everyone hates and would point out doing anything in a second just to be mean?

It's been awhile since i've graduated high school but there were people who got that treatment every day.

I don't expect a banning just yet, but I do think you can chalk it up to more hate on anime by people who have no clue what it is other than: "That kid had it in his room"

OT: I just turned 1,000. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:47 pm Reply with quote
i don't know what's more sad: the fact that they supended someone over this, or the fact that a senior in high school was doing something this juvenile to begin with.

oh well, looks like Viz gets more free promotion. Laughing
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:58 pm Reply with quote

*headdesk.*

...Happy Turkey Day...

I will respond after I kinda get out of the quick shock. But it was only a matter of time before something else like this happens...

*is reminded of Peach Girl again.* >_>;

*flees.*
suna_suna

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:02 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
I think this whole thing is a crazy over-reaction. Do they apply the same consequeces to those who write the names down of fellow stutdents in a regular note book?

Am I the only one who owns a deathnote to write down my assignments? Important date, etc?

And sure it comes down to an us knowing and them not. But if they took a moment to educate themseleves instead of just going by the first thing that pops up in google....they'd realize how stupid they were.

no disrespect, but you cannot write this off as a simple overreaction. the word death on a notebook with a list of names is automatically suspicious. plus, it was more than just writing down a name or two, he had a list (i think). i would be suspicious of a regular notebook that had, say, a list of 20 people that i knew were not friends, or were openly hostile, toward the notebooks owner.

your use of your deathnote to write down actual stuff like assingments is what it should be used for. and i agree that the educators should have taken a moment to try and look into the claims a llittle more. but, given what happened earlier this year in VIRGINIA, there's no question that they needed to act, and act fast.
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:07 pm Reply with quote
I don't think it's an overreaction at all, a fan of Death Note? He got exactly what he served lol, that dork needs structure in his life!

Besides, you gotta look at it from the school's standpoint, they see a book called "Death Note" with a bunch of names, it looks like this guy's got a list of people he's gonna take out ( and technically it's true ). And saying that they overreact to such things, well it's better when they don't react and have another VIRGINIA TECH MASSACRE on their hands.

I mean I'm all for living out one's geeky fantasies..but be smart about it and use common sense.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
Excuse me, minor nitpick: Nobody has been able to identify if Ann Coulter is either of the male or female species. Or it's bi-sexual or a post-op.

Excuse me, minor nitpick: The word you are looking for is hermaphrodite, genius. Bisexuality is a sexual preference and doesn't require any kind of operation to obtain or get rid of. And male and female are examples of different genders, not different species.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9