• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Virginian Teen Suspended over Names in 'Death Note'

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:30 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Yeah, we're actually a lot more like Pakistan.
Rolling Eyes

Wow, if you actually believe that then you truly don't understand global politics, foreign governments and/or are just plain delusional.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:34 pm Reply with quote
suna_suna wrote:
britannicamoore wrote:
I think this whole thing is a crazy over-reaction. Do they apply the same consequeces to those who write the names down of fellow stutdents in a regular note book?

Am I the only one who owns a deathnote to write down my assignments? Important date, etc?

And sure it comes down to an us knowing and them not. But if they took a moment to educate themseleves instead of just going by the first thing that pops up in google....they'd realize how stupid they were.

no disrespect, but you cannot write this off as a simple overreaction. the word death on a notebook with a list of names is automatically suspicious. plus, it was more than just writing down a name or two, he had a list (i think). i would be suspicious of a regular notebook that had, say, a list of 20 people that i knew were not friends, or were openly hostile, toward the notebooks owner.

your use of your deathnote to write down actual stuff like assingments is what it should be used for. and i agree that the educators should have taken a moment to try and look into the claims a llittle more. but, given what happened earlier this year in VIRGINIA, there's no question that they needed to act, and act fast.

I can. One thing happens and suddnely its going to happen every single time ZOMG.

I wish they overeacted like that in inner-city public schools. It could save some lives.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
slickwataris

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:46 pm Reply with quote
One day, this kid I work with brought in a Death Note. He was using it as a notebook for his Japanese class apparently. Still, our supervisor’s expression was pretty damn hilarious.

I own one myself Smile .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ringoiero360

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:57 pm Reply with quote
idiot. don't bring death notes to school!!! :-[
Nermal

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Honestly. I buried mine, so I know it's safe for future use. Crap, I've said too much...
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
A Stand Alone Complex is a copy without an original. In this case, there was an original in the Death Note manga itself. As a result, no, this is not a Stand Alone Complex.

Ah, but I meant school shootings, not Death Notes. As far as my rather limited knowledge allows (and I'll admit I'm no expert on school shootings Confused ) the only case capable of being called "original" in a sense that it "inspires" a generation of other nutcases is Columbine, and that's far, far from the very first case of it.

I'll reiterate my point though; whether it makes sense to do what the school does is nearly irrelevant when one considers that schools will be made responsible for everything that ever goes wrong in their premises. By parents, the single most aggressively effective group in the world when it comes to gaining outside sympathy and making their will heard. It's only natural they take no risks.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Mrs. Crabby: Johnny, what is that you have on your desk?

Johnny: It's just my notebook, Mrs. Crabby.

Mrs. Crabby: Let me look at it!

Johnny: But Mrs. Crabby...

Mrs. Crabby: Now, Johnny!

*Johnny hands the notebook over*

Mrs. Crabby: *stares at cover* DEATH NOTE?! Johnny Wilson! What matter of deranged material is this? *flips through notebook* What's all this? You've written the names of all your schoolmates in this!? *flips to inside cover* What's this? *gazes over spectacles* The person whose name is written in this notebook shall die...

Class: *gasp*

Mrs. Crabby: Johnny Wilson, go to the principal's office!

Johnny: But Mrs. Crabby...

Mrs. Crabby: Right this minute!

Razz
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Side note: Has anyone checked out the site in the article? There's like, 50 entries for Hannah Montana with the cause of death set as "rape". lol

Not that rape or death is funny, it's just that so many people put it in there...
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:46 pm Reply with quote
I think people defending him need to keep this in perspective. He isn't being expelled. He isn't facing criminal charges. He has been suspended. Thats really not that big of a deal.

I think its a pretty reasonable reaction. Especially with the connection to Deathnote, I think its pretty obvious he doesn't genuinely plan to kill these people. However, it is still idiotic to write down a list of people you want dead. For that stupidity alone he deserves what he got.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Aye some mothers do have 'em, and they lives.
Berserkfury819

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:10 pm Reply with quote
I don't know what was up with the "Here come right-wing Christians comment." Personally I like Death Note a lot and I really hope this doesn't get too much attention in the media, seeing as how it will reflect poorly on anime and anime fandom. Free speech or not, writing down the names of people that you know and want "dead" is just asking for trouble. Its called common sense.

Gatsu- I don't think Ann Coulter gets a free pass, most people in the media come down on her pretty hard for being a stuck up bitch (I don't like her either). If anyone gets a free pass, its Al Franken, and he/she/it is just as big of a hypocritical deutschbag as Ann Coulter, and thats saying a lot.
Lemwon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:15 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:

You guys just aren't getting it.

Yes, WE know that the Death Note isn't real. But THEY do not. THEY cannot take the chance that this idiot is not an idiot and is really a ticking time bomb waiting for something to set him off. There have been too many times where the signs have been there concerning a student(s) (VA Tech and Columbine are two serious examples) and NO ONE did sh*t about it. If it is the choice of protecting one student's right of "free speech" over the rights of many students to live, I hope that THEY chose the many over the one.

As far as I'm concerned this kid is damned lucky that all he got was a suspension.

That just basiclly (sp?) summed up my thoughts. We have no idea weather or not this kid was simply a moron, or actully had some mental problems and was planning to hurt these people. Why just assume it's a former and risk people's lives? I agree with everyone else; the kid was an idiot to bring somthing like that to school, but maybe that wasn't all there is to it, and the school needed to take precautions.

*edit*: hmm, wonder how this became a political/ Ann Coulter debate...
Fallout2man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Unholy_Nny wrote:

Exactly what I thought the moment I saw the article. Kids have gotten expelled over "hitlists" before, there's no reason why he shouldn't receive at least some form of punishment. (Even if it was innocent, it's still an issue that should be handled seriously)

Plus, as far as it infringing free speech as GATSU stated, it's the school that did it. You have no free speech when it breeches rules set by an establishment that you're under. (Such as, if you work at McDonalds, you're not allowed to say "f**k" in front of customers)

Just an interjection if I may. Technically this is different, McDonalds is a voluntary establishment you choose to work for and you sign an agreement to work under their conditions. As working there is voluntary you can also be fired at the company's disgression.

School is a mandatory institution through high-school that is required by the federal government. A child never signs any agreement until he or she becomes of 18 years of age or older.

The reason why a school can do what they do is because children have no free speech rights, in fact children have hardly any rights at all. The bill of rights and the constitutional protection of liberties only currently applies to those of 18 years of age or older. Legally children are considered property owned by their parents. Granted, it's "special" property, like a pet, but property none the less. You can't kill children, you can't over-work them, and you can't physically or sexually abuse/violate them. Other then that, they have no rights whatsoever.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Well if he wanted to imitate anything like the series he would just write people's names down, and not actually kill them himself.

The Death Note isn't a hit-list...
subaru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:12 pm Reply with quote
since when we are not allowed to hate someone???

Unless the kid involved is actually going to do something about his death list, it is just a little game for him...... just like a voodoo doll kind of curse. We all have a list of people that we hate in our life. Please don't overreact~
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9