• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Virginian Teen Suspended over Names in 'Death Note'

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:12 am Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Both of which have no place in the educational system. Both of which draw some form of punishment. Where's the problem?

How does writing a fictitious hit list result in suspension? At the very least, counsellings and mental testings should be in order. Plus any further investigations (did he buy weaponry; is there evidence of bullying, etc.) should also be done to see if a threat is credible enough or not.

But no. Simply put, we expel his ass and let that be the punishment. Don't these folks know the term "Going postal"?

Keonyn wrote:
We've all learned what inaction can do an Virginia Tech, when there are lives at stake it's better to react than play the "wait and see" game hope they don't mean it.

Steak < Stake.
child of Lilith

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:48 am Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Oh come on, that's more "knee-jerk reactionary crap" than anything anyone has mentioned previously. People have the right to react suspiciously and cautiously given what goes on in schools these days. We've all learned what inaction can do an Virginia Tech, when there are lives at stake it's better to react than play the "wait and see" game hope they don't mean it.

You mean people have the right to act like the sky is falling every time someone does something even slightly off. An as for this little jewel,“People have the right to react suspiciously and cautiously given what goes on in schools these days”, give me a break, this guy rights some names down in a note book and you start making comparisons to the Virginia Tech massacre. Heaven forbid I should ever right a grocery list for fear I might try to poison the foods listed. Also I never meant they should have just completely ignored this all together, however suspending him and creating a media circus around him was going way to far. I remember a incident much like this back when I was still in high school were two boys at my school were trading treating letters back in for between each other for the fun of it, a teacher found out about it and they were sent the principles office. Do want to know what happened next? He took the time talked to them about it and found out it was nothing more then a dumb came they were playing. He then told them to stop doing it or they would get in serious trouble, and wonders of wonders they agreed to stop doing it and to never do it again it the future. You see the lesson here, no one was suspend, no one was held up the eyes of the world as the next Charles Manson, all it took was about a hours worth of work to straiten the whole mess out. If those involved in this current mess had just taken the time to find out what was really going on this whole mess might have been avoided. Now I have a question for all of you, are you going to take any responsibility on to yourself if this guy now goes out and does something violent because he has been labeled by all of you as a budding sociopath, because if he does the reason for whatever he does will most certainly lead right back to this current mess.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:50 am Reply with quote
Theorys wrote:
Keonyn wrote:
Oh come on, that's more "knee-jerk reactionary crap" than anything anyone has mentioned previously. People have the right to react suspiciously and cautiously given what goes on in schools these days. We've all learned what inaction can do an Virginia Tech, when there are lives at stake it's better to react than play the "wait and see" game hope they don't mean it.

And therein lies your faulty thinking. You think this is new. But really school violence has been going on for ages.

So I suppose your solution is why bother or why try and stop things right? I mean if it's been going on for ages why bother to try and be proactive and stop that from happening right? Rolling Eyes I mean it's just a silly notebook with names in it. It's not like any students have ever made similar lists and acted on them and brought guns to school right?
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:53 am Reply with quote
Is it really that hard to see this kid screwed up? I mean if you're in a place where privacy is suspect, don't be cleaning your dirty drawls! Damn!

What that translates to is: Don't be an idiot and get caught doing things you know someone's gonna freak out over. I'm not saying he shouldn't have done it, but unless you WANT trouble you try to do it in a fashion where you know you'll be safe from scrutiny. I'm pretty sure the "Death Note" would work just as well if it were on audio tape!

"Death Note to self, Instructor mis-handling kids' packages in the mail room needs to die!"

HIYOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! I'm out.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:28 am Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
How does writing a fictitious hit list result in suspension?

First of all, it's not like it was saying Papa Smurf is going to die at 3 o'clock. He had his classmates written down. Actual people. Which brings it clearly out of the realm of fiction and into the realm of plausible reality. Secondly, fictitious or not, this kind of crap doesn't belong in the schools to begin with. Anything that is a disruption to the curriculum is a suspendible offense.

Hon'ya-chan wrote:
At the very least, counsellings and mental testings should be in order. Plus any further investigations (did he buy weaponry; is there evidence of bullying, etc.) should also be done to see if a threat is credible enough or not.

How do you expect teachers to teach when they think Johnny come the ticking time bomb is in the corner making what appears to be hit lists and plans of people, of which they themselves may very well be the target of. And then tell them they can't do a damn thing about it. Oh, yeah just keep him in your classroom and pretend everything is rosey for the time being we have a psychotherapist scheduled for next week, your safe.

Being suspended and out of the classroom is perfectly legitimate and will give them plenty of time to determine whether or not this is a credible threat or not.

Furthermore, being suspended does not equal the sky is falling. It's what happens when stupid people do stupid things, or even when smart people do stupid things. Telling the teacher to F-off will land suspension's as well(at least it used too). Just like making lists of classmates in black books where the first rule is "everyone's name who appears in this book will die", and no I don't mean eventually.

Which brings me to two words people like you hate. Responsibility and accountability. You have every right to say what you want, but if you do so irresponsibly, you have the responsibility to be accountable for those words.

Hon'ya-chan wrote:
Keonyn wrote:
We've all learned what inaction can do an Virginia Tech, when there are lives at stake it's better to react than play the "wait and see" game hope they don't mean it.
Steak < Stake.

I don't think you should be allowed to correct anyone, for anything, ever.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:26 am Reply with quote
Theorys wrote:
So basically you're saying:
1. The kid innocently writes people's names down.
2. The kid could come in the next day and kill people on the list.
3. The teachers must act in accordance with a worse-case scenario based on that.

How about this:
1. LydiaDianne has a promiscuous avatar depicting a young girl wearing a sailor costume (ie Sailor Moon).
2. LydiaDianne could be a sexual predator based on using that avatar.
3. We should inform the authorities we have a sexual predator on the boards because I base my judgements on my opinions.

When LydiaDianne changes her Avatar to a list: "Children in my neighborhood I'd like to F---" then I'll agree with you.

You can say he didn't actually intend to kill these people. Infact, I and I think most people involved recognise this. If they didn't he would be facing a lot worse. Such as many counts of attempted premeditated murder. Instead he is facing a suspention. Hardly the end of the world. Infact, quite a fitting punishment considering he still made a list of people he wanted dead. You can claim it wasn't serious but that really isn't an excuse. Its still incredibly stupid and suspention worthy.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:13 am Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:

Who says it was fictional? See your problem, and others like you, is that you all assume the thing was fictional. For all we know he could damn well be serious about this shit. The odds are he isn't but how do we know? I bet back in the day if the Columbine kids made a death note people would be saying just what you are. And look how that would have turned out. It's a stupid act and in this day and age it's not a joke anymore. This shit might have been funny 10 years ago but the jokes over now. It's not funny and should be taken seriously given the setting in this instance. And you also seem to fail to understand that it's the teacher's job to notify the administrators about such behavior, and it's just a bloody suspension. Hell it's basically a 2-3 day vacation for this kid so I highly doubt he gives a rat's ass himself.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
First of all, it's not like it was saying Papa Smurf is going to die at 3 o'clock. He had his classmates written down. Actual people. Which brings it clearly out of the realm of fiction and into the realm of plausible reality. Secondly, fictitious or not, this kind of crap doesn't belong in the schools to begin with. Anything that is a disruption to the curriculum is a suspendible offense.

And how do you differentiate between something that is fiction and reality? For all we know, that list was a perfectly safe way of this kid venting out his frustrations. Would you rather want the alternative?

Much like how people punch a punching bag or walk off anger.

Quote:
Being suspended and out of the classroom is perfectly legitimate and will give them plenty of time to determine whether or not this is a credible threat or not.

Which brings me to two words people like you hate. Responsibility and accountability. You have every right to say what you want, but if you do so irresponsibly, you have the responsibility to be accountable for those words.

So you advocate responsibility and accountability, and the route you take pretty much amounts to washing of ones hands of a situation easily and dumping it elsewhere. Or escalate the situation to the point where said kid may undertake such actions thru violent means. Wonderful, tell me when are you gonna run for Presidency?

Quote:
I don't think you should be allowed to correct anyone, for anything, ever.

Your post would make a tad more sense if I had actually done the act your accusing me in the first place.
naruto fan 09812

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:09 pm Reply with quote
I kinda knew that a story like this would happen when the Death Note dub hit stateside. Even though it's was idiotic to bring a fake Death Note to school. I think the school kinda overracted they could have at least let him off the hook with a warning. Unless they uncovered a plot that he was actually going to kill the people he written in the Death Note suspension wasn't the right action to take.
springrequiem

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:14 pm Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:
Hon'ya-chan wrote:

Who says it was fictional? See your problem, and others like you, is that you all assume the thing was fictional. For all we know he could damn well be serious about this shit. The odds are he isn't but how do we know? I bet back in the day if the Columbine kids made a death note people would be saying just what you are. And look how that would have turned out. It's a stupid act and in this day and age it's not a joke anymore. This shit might have been funny 10 years ago but the jokes over now. It's not funny and should be taken seriously given the setting in this instance. And you also seem to fail to understand that it's the teacher's job to notify the administrators about such behavior, and it's just a bloody suspension. Hell it's basically a 2-3 day vacation for this kid so I highly doubt he gives a rat's ass himself.

That pretty much sums up my own opinion. To me, it doesn't matter whether or not it was in a Death Note notebook. Maybe it was a joke; maybe it wasn't. It should be treated the same as if it was written in any other notebook. After all, any other kind of hitlist could be just a joke too, right? You wouldn't be able to defend those ones by saying "oh, he's just mimicking this book/movie/etc", so I doubt those students would get off the hook. The chances are probably higher that this student didn't mean any harm, but there's still a chance that he DID, just like with any other hitlist.

It's a little different from reading DN or the Battle Royale novel and things like that in school, IMO, because this isn't reading what someone else wrote; these are names and methods of death the student wrote down on his own (if he went beyond just names).

Of course, I might just be a little jumpy about these things after there was a school shooting 3/4 of a mile away from my university a little over a month ago.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:32 pm Reply with quote
naruto fan 09812 wrote:
Even though it's was idiotic to bring a fake Death Note to school. I think the school kinda overracted they could have at least let him off the hook with a warning. Unless they uncovered a plot that he was actually going to kill the people he written in the Death Note suspension wasn't the right action to take.

So your saying if they uncovered an actual, very real, sure thing plot to kill a bunch of people, then a suspension would be warranted. Are you crazy! The kid is a senior, he's old enough to go to jail, just like any other insane idiot who was planning to kill a bunch of people would.

God, this society has gone coddle crazy.

Hon'ya-chan:

You don't play what-if games like your doing with peoples lives. If your still in school, which I imagine you are, I suggest you start writing hit lists immediately. And don't overly hide it either, and make sure in big letters at the top it says something to the effect of "People whom will die" followed by a specific list of real classmates.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:43 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
britannicamoore wrote:
I think this whole thing is a crazy over-reaction. Do they apply the same consequeces to those who write the names down of fellow stutdents in a regular note book?

Am I the only one who owns a deathnote to write down my assignments? Important date, etc?

If he were using it as a school assignment book, there wouldn't be an issue. I thought the issue was writing down names & manner of death making it appear more of a hitlist than a school notebook. This runs over into the whole school shooter/bomber side.

Was this kid planning anything? It sounds as though it was a joke, but if he were planning something, don't you think he'd have a cover story, something like "It's a joke"? And if they let him off, woldn;t they have to let everyone off? & what if the next kid they let off really is planning something.

Is it over-reaction? Isn't most everything prefaced with "In the name of fairness"? A kid, fully aware of his school's zero Tolerance policy, brings a toy gun to school. If the school has thought to address the issue, maybe they've already dismissed toy guns & knives, though most of the schools I know of would retain their right to blanket expel kids thumbing their noses at the school's authority. To be fair=we don't have to think-it's a slam dunk action. Everyone is treated the same even if they are guilty of doing less. Cookie-cutter reactions so they don't have to deal with claims of discrimination or favoritism

A toy gun is nothing. When you see enough people brining real ones to protect their drug money you kind of think a fake one is useless.

The US is so good at overeacting to small things and underreatcing to big things it makes me ill.

It's got nothing to do with this being anime or not, I feel like this in a lot of cases. I feel like there are many more pressing issues in the world than a piece of paper out of a novelty notebook that doesn't work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
naruto fan 09812

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:05 pm Reply with quote
To use the same analogy the previous poster use this is the equivelent of using a toy gun. Instead of the school sweeping this under the rug with a suspension. Like a previous poster have said they could have gave this person counseling before taking such action. To figure out is this was a mental problem that was develop while watching Death Note or a joke. They didn't solve anything without figuring out if this was a joke or not. Because his condition could have worsen if he had a mental condition with this knee jerk suspension.
Fallout2man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:

This sounds exactly like the people who ran my high school's district. Over there you'd get sent home for wearing bright mismatching clothes, having facial hair, and if you brought anything electronic other than a watch or calculator you'd get it confiscated, and might be able to get it back at the end of the school year, key word might.

They also once suspended a boy for saying the word "Gun" just because it happened to be a day after shootings down at a SoCal school. Some things are plausible, but merely saying the word gun?

Granted, children really have no rights regarding liberty, but if people keep opressing them thinking it'll help by providing the ideal work environment, then you're just going to end up with some heavily warped youths. The most healthy people I knew come out of that high school were the trouble-makers who routinely found ways to get around or break the rules without getting caught.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Fallout2man wrote:
Dargonxtc wrote:

This sounds exactly like the people who ran my high school's district. Over there you'd get sent home for wearing bright mismatching clothes, having facial hair, and if you brought anything electronic other than a watch or calculator you'd get it confiscated, and might be able to get it back at the end of the school year, key word might.

They also once suspended a boy for saying the word "Gun" just because it happened to be a day after shootings down at a SoCal school. Some things are plausible, but merely saying the word gun?

We aren't talking about your school, we aren't talking about someone who simply said the word gun and got suspended. We aren't talking about someone who got sent home because he didn't shave. And we aren't talking about someone who got his/her cell phone confiscated. This is completly different, and if you can't see the difference then your either not in reality, or are just being a whiney nihilistic brat. Why is the school all of sudden not supposed to take hit lists, fake or not, seriously??? When prank fire alarms are pulled, does not the same school empty out into the courtyard regardless??? Yes, they do. And when they find out who did it, do they punish them??? Yes, they do.
Fallout2man wrote:
Granted, children really have no rights regarding liberty, but if people keep opressing them thinking it'll help by providing the ideal work environment, then you're just going to end up with some heavily warped youths. The most healthy people I knew come out of that high school were the trouble-makers who routinely found ways to get around or break the rules without getting caught.

Or in other words there should be no rules Rolling Eyes. Because rules = oppression Laughing Rolling Eyes. I am sorry you went to such an unjust school. In mine we had some of those very same rules, like no cell phones, and yes, they would take them. Or no short skirts, and yes they would send you home to change. And the vast majority of my class of 400 turned out A ok. And oh yeah, I am pretty damn sure if someone was caught making a hit list, fake or not, they would get in big trouble for it.

But no, we can't have any rules or standards, that would be a vast injustice. And anyone who doesn't wear a Che Guevara T-shirt is just a cog in the wheel, right? Rolling Eyes

naruto fan 09812 wrote:
Instead of the school sweeping this under the rug with a suspension. Like a previous poster have said they could have gave this person counseling before taking such action. To figure out is this was a mental problem that was develop while watching Death Note or a joke. They didn't solve anything without figuring out if this was a joke or not. Because his condition could have worsen if he had a mental condition with this knee jerk suspension.

How the hell is a suspension sweeping it under the rug, or a knee jerk reaction? Maybe they wanted him out of the classroom so he could attend counseling. Why does he have to continue to go to class while they try to figure out whether or not he is a real threat? Why can't they give him the clean bill of health first?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9