• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bost Announces Global Anime Video-on-Demand from Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grgspunk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Are all of their titles going to be available for streaming in the US like Keitai Shoujo?
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Intresting. I'll keep an eye on this.

I'm glad some company had half the brains to knock this out. Hopefully they can manage well and get more titles.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:52 pm Reply with quote
grgspunk wrote:
Are all of their titles going to be available for streaming in the US like Keitai Shoujo?

At the moment, the other two are not available here. There is a chance the others may be available to us at some point, but no guarantees.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:38 am Reply with quote
US$2 for Flash-streamed episode rentals isn't ideal (traditional rentals would be cheaper, and there's no way to watch on a DVD player or such), but it's still better than it could have been... I'll try it out when I have time. Looking forward to the "different pricing stuctures".

Can anyone who's rented an episode comment on the subtitle quality, by the way? (No engrish?)

Edit: I see that they ask for your country of residence when registering. Presumably they'll also filter by IP, but there's a small chance that they might just take your word for it (since an accidental loophole like that could be better business for them in the long run). Only a thought though.
hopexd

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:07 am Reply with quote
Sven Viking wrote:

Can anyone who's rented an episode comment on the subtitle quality, by the way? (No engrish?)

OK I've watched two - one Hantsuki and one Shinigami. The subtitle quality is pretty good. No engrish Smile The translations are done quite professionally (probably by native english speakers)... i didn't pick up any typo or mis-translation (with my limited JP skills that is), which I usually do with fan subs. @@

Sven Viking wrote:

Edit: I see that they ask for your country of residence when registering. Presumably they'll also filter by IP, but there's a small chance that they might just take your word for it (since an accidental loophole like that could be better business for them in the long run). Only a thought though.

Even if it's filtered by IP, there's always a way to get pass that - just find an Australia/NZ proxy. Razz Though that might affect your connection speed a bit, shouldn't be too bad since the connection between US and AU are usually quite good.

PS: The downloading/streaming speed was superb from my network (Australia, iinet). It's actually faster than youtube.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:46 pm Reply with quote
I'd imagine the main reason for wanting to know the countries of how is watching is for statistics purposes.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:38 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
I'd imagine the main reason for wanting to know the countries of how is watching is for statistics purposes.
Agreed, that's why it's only a small possibility. Worth a try, though.
hentai4me

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:05 am Reply with quote
[quote=Aaron, BOST President]Please use the Content Availability Feedback form for all feedback for now.
However, I will be putting up a more generic feedback form soon.[/quote]

For those of you who want to discuss/sound-off about your thoughts on the pricing, availability of titles, etc The president has said that the best way for now is to go onto the site and use the regular feedback form.

He hopes to soon have a general feedback form put up soon, but for now if you want to tell the company about what you think of pricing through official channels the feedback form is what you should use.

Further the president has said that, as a start up and a first venture from a Japanese company into a purely digital form of direct from Japan distribution, as far as I know, they NEED to prove that there is a fan base willing to pay for this kind of service or that there is sufficient interest in it for the titles to be distributed in this way, they make it relatively clear that part of their bargaining tools for getting a titles license is the number of users who say they want that title for their area...I've requested Sketchbook Full Colours for a UK release and I'm hoping that as it is a short, likely non-big seller BOST can get it for a reasonable price and I can pay them for the legal watching of it.

I don't think you need to sign up to make use of the feedback form as I can access it even when not logged in. So basically if you want to support this method or improve it to fit your desires (i.e: complain about the price...even though it's a damned good one and you're all just nitpicking) use the form.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3