• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yes! Precure 5 Go Go! Magical Girl Sequel Confirmed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:07 am Reply with quote
Actually, 4Kids no longer appears to have the license to the original Pretty Cure. Not all that long ago, Toei seemed to have confirmed that they are marketting the series themself. There is a good chance Toei pulled the rights away from 4Kids, during the same time period as One Piece.

Firecouch got this information back in July, when Toei had a panel (Well, it was more technically a One Piece panel, but whatever...):

http://forums.toonzone.net/showthread.php?t=193335

Quote:
Hey, I know this isn't "One Piece" related but someone requested on this thread that I ask about this at the Toei Animation booth.

The status of "Pretty Cure" and "Magical Doremi"? Well, it's the same old sad story for "Pretty Cure": Toei Animation is trying to pitch it to American broadcasters (speaking of which I checked out the T.V. pilot in one of the screening rooms of AX and it's a pretty damn awesome dub) but no luck so far. Why? American broadcasters still don't want girls' cartoons.
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:49 am Reply with quote
Facts vs. conclusions aside, I would like to point out an error in the article. This is the FIFTH Pretty Cure series, not the fourth.

Pretty Cure
Pretty Cure Max Heart
Pretty Cure Splash Star
Yes! Pretty Cure 5
Yes! Pretty Cure 5 Go Go!
kokuryu

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:25 pm Reply with quote
*SIGH*

At this point they should just go direct to video with Pretty Cure... I mean come on now - its up to the 5th series already, have a bunch of movies, and its really popular NOW.

Yet another reason to support fansubs... Speaking of which, I wish they would finish Precure 5 already....
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Wait a second, is this another installment or is this 2nd season? Because if it is it would help if that was mentioned.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:50 pm Reply with quote
FUNimation should release it instead of 4Kids.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Wait a second, is this another installment or is this 2nd season? Because if it is it would help if that was mentioned.

This is the 2nd series of the 3rd version of PreCure. Rolling Eyes The series restarted with a new continuity and characters in SplashStar, and again in PreCure5.
veu

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm too happy for the new season!
Cicatriz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:40 pm Reply with quote
I could never get around the art. The story line seems good [for the original Pre Cure, at the least] but the art is just so ugly. D: It's not even pretty-ugly like Sugar Sugar Rune, it's just bleh.
I have no idea how they've gotten 5 seasons/series out of this though. It doesn't seem to fit in with the current anime market of Moe, Slice-Of-Life, and Action, but I guess the little girls in Japan need to have something to watch.
MH Knights

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Wait, wasn't this the magical girl show with some blatent yuri undertones? I seem to recall screen caps of a Romeo and Juliet play where the blond was Romeo and the other girls Juliet.
Siegel Clyne

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:14 pm Reply with quote
The Pretty Cure series generate hundreds of millions of US dollars in merchandise sales (e.g., toys) every year in Japan alone, dwarfing bestselling otaku series there like The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.

Search for Pretty Cure and yours truly to find my posts at other forums describing and documenting this, including Namco Bandai and Toei Animation links in Japanese and in English.

In addition, even without the US market, the world's largest, Toei Animation earned quite a bit of money in copyright income sales during Japanese fiscal year 2006 from foreign markets regarding the Pretty Cure series, which have aired in European countries like Germany and Italy.

P.S. I have been planning to post Toei Animation's 2006 foreign copyright income sales on another forum, but have not gotten around to it yet. It would include a Toei Animation link with the sales data.
BleuVII

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Yep, my downstairs neighbor, a 5-year old girl, LOVES Precure 5. It's madly popular over here in Japan.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:37 pm Reply with quote
MH Knights wrote:
Wait, wasn't this the magical girl show with some blatent yuri undertones? I seem to recall screen caps of a Romeo and Juliet play where the blond was Romeo and the other girls Juliet.

According to this trivia tidbit, Max Heart seemed to have it. Hehehe, obviously I'm a bit interested on what happened. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1