• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mirai Nikki (Future Diary) (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Wow the first episode was awesome. Finally a good yandere character. Anyone see the scene after the credits with the God's helper. LOL the 3rd kept killing himself. I wonder if that was real or just a joke.
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:45 am Reply with quote
My god, I thought we had some great stuff this year but this and Fate Zero take the trophy, along with Steins Gate, of course.

Just when you think it's gonna turn cliched there's a slight turn of events. Did I expect Yuno to suddenly turn into the protagonist of a Hollywood action flick? I don't think so. Laughing

At first I thought the idea of having a future diary on the phone would becoming repetitive, but turns out they actually came up with some interesting stuff. At first it doesn't look like a notable power, and I was wondering what the hell the spoiler[bomber] had in mind since the place would clearly swarm with cops. But, interesting.
Divineking

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:29 am Reply with quote
Another solid episode. I continue to be plesantly surprised that Asread is doing such a solid adaption.

I wasn;t really expecting Ninth to show up so early in the episode, but I kind of figured they wanted to get through this arc quickly, and I hope it means they'll include her full backstory from the Mosaic side manga, with the extra time they've saved. I also noted that they sped through spoiler[Ninth's inner monologue beofore being stabbed in the eye] but it sounds a lot less stupid this way I guess. I;m looking forward to more

Oh and the OP song is the best of the season. Period. ED song is awesome too.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Wow, they are moving fast I seem to recall the manga revealing somethings a bit slower. The best part is of course that Yuki has to rely on his stalker and that can cause some serious issues let me tell ya, lol. We got a taste of it with spoiler[Yuno saying screw everybody and running thru the school setting off the motion detector bombs which ended up killing people.] I hope they slow up and let some of the spoiler[paranoia] that the manga had develop. spoiler[Who can you trust? His fellow students and teachers turned on him. Also can he really trust any of the future diary holders?] Anyways, though I really liked the manga the anime is feeling a little choppy and rushed. I hope they iron it out and it flows a bit better.
Raftina

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:25 pm Reply with quote
I recall the 9th attack following quite shortly after the premise of the game has been introduced, so I don't see a problem. The events in Mosaic would be entirely inappropriate to show at this point, because it distracts from the main characters and introduces an alternate interpretation that is unnecessary at this point of the story. If Mosaic is adapted at all, I would expect is to be in DVD extra episodes or a separate OVA.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:48 pm Reply with quote
My god this anime is easily turning into the best of the season. I loved episode 1 and episode 2 was even better. I think this series will be the masterpiece of the season. I love Yunno as a character. spoiler[LOL at when she got all of those classmates killed] It was cute seeing her get embarassed after the kiss scene.
Divineking

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Raftina wrote:
I recall the 9th attack following quite shortly after the premise of the game has been introduced, so I don't see a problem. The events in Mosaic would be entirely inappropriate to show at this point, because it distracts from the main characters and introduces an alternate interpretation that is unnecessary at this point of the story. If Mosaic is adapted at all, I would expect is to be in DVD extra episodes or a separate OVA.

I wasn;t saying to adapt ALL of Mosaic. I know that the majority of it would be better off as OVA's but the Ninth's backstory is important, not to mention it explains spoiler[the relationship between her and the other cop]
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:14 pm Reply with quote
There are so many problems with "getting along" with a stalker, but the lead just has no choice in this situation because he'll die otherwise, and he's just going to have to deal with the difficulties.

In other news, there are so many problems with this show, but I just have no choice but to watch it because I can't take my eyes of the stalker, and I'll just have to deal with the difficulties.

Amano is suddenly incredibly easy to relate to. Though I would probably be a bit more hesitant about spoiler[throwing in with the guy who seemed perfectly comfortable killing me when he thought more lives would be saved that way.]
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:21 am Reply with quote
A mildly disappointing second episode. Even more rushed than the first. I didn't like Minene at all. For starters, her character design is just dumb. Also, I expect these people to be unbalanced but everything about her from her character to her plan was just absurd. It didn't even make sense or seem remotely plausible. Keigo seems okay. I'd like to see more of him. Unfortunately, given the pace, he's kinda all over the place so far. I don't mean to be negative though. I still more or less liked it and I still think the show has a ton of potential. Just slow down for goodness sake. You've got 24 episodes.
Divineking

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:11 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
A mildly disappointing second episode. Even more rushed than the first. I didn't like Minene at all. For starters, her character design is just dumb. Also, I expect these people to be unbalanced but everything about her from her character to her plan was just absurd. It didn't even make sense or seem remotely plausible. Keigo seems okay. I'd like to see more of him. Unfortunately, given the pace, he's kinda all over the place so far. I don't mean to be negative though. I still more or less liked it and I still think the show has a ton of potential. Just slow down for goodness sake. You've got 24 episodes.

There;s something you should know. The manga ran for almost 5 years. The anime HAS to go this fast to cover everything in 26 episodes. It should really be 39-52 episodes. For the episode restraints though, most of the manga fans seem to think their doing a decent job

And I don;t see what was so absurd about her plan. Yeah she;s crazy but she;s a terrorist. Her using explosives isn;t that much of a stretch, though I was sort of hoping she wasn;t gonna be introduced so early in the episode.
12skippy21

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:26 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Also, I expect these people to be unbalanced but everything about her from her character to her plan was just absurd. It didn't even make sense or seem remotely plausible.

One thing the manga never really had going for it were likable characters, it was fun to read just for Yuno and the eventual chaos. I too felt episode 2 was rushed but has Divineking said, it will be rushed to complete the manga.

If I was to have a beef with the show so far, the AWESOME opening, and the first episode, gives too much away for those new to the series. Still, looking forward to it!
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
There;s something you should know. The manga ran for almost 5 years. The anime HAS to go this fast to cover everything in 26 episodes. It should really be 39-52 episodes. For the episode restraints though, most of the manga fans seem to think their doing a decent job

Which is sort of what concerns me. If you've got too much material and too little time you need to rework it to cut some parts out. If you don't...well, you just end up with something not very good that only pleases people who are already fans and just want to sit there with their little checklist and confirm that everything is "where it should be".

Quote:
And I don;t see what was so absurd about her plan. Yeah she;s crazy but she;s a terrorist. Her using explosives isn;t that much of a stretch, though I was sort of hoping she wasn;t gonna be introduced so early in the episode.

Well, if she is supposed to be some kind of terrorist then it at least makes sense that she might have access to and the ability to use complex explosives. Is she though? This is part of the problem. I remember there being some offhand mention of her being a terrorist but then I wasn't clear whether they just meant that in reference to this one event or if she actually had some sort of history as a terrorist. The fact that she's a teenage girl with big poofy purple hair and an extravagant gothic lolita outfit hardly makes her come across as a legitimate terrorist so I kinda assumed not.

Also, regardless, the idea that she's gone around and installed bombs and also motion sensors in every single class in the entire school and also somehow buried a whole bunch of landmines out in the court yard is just so absurdly over the top that it's totally ridiculous. And another thing: Blowing up a whole school full of kids is kinda a massive [expletive] deal. If that actually happened it would basically be the next 9/11. Future Diary or not, that is so not the kind of thing you just hop on a bike and drive away from. Plus, even if you somehow do manage to get away, is it really worth it to have to deal with being pretty much the most wanted person in the country for the rest of the game just to maybe kill one person? I gotta think there'd be a much better way of doing that.
Divineking

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Well, if she is supposed to be some kind of terrorist then it at least makes sense that she might have access to and the ability to use complex explosives. Is she though? This is part of the problem. I remember there being some offhand mention of her being a terrorist but then I wasn't clear whether they just meant that in reference to this one event or if she actually had some sort of history as a terrorist. The fact that she's a teenage girl with big poofy purple hair and an extravagant gothic lolita outfit hardly makes her come across as a legitimate terrorist so I kinda assumed not.

Also, regardless, the idea that she's gone around and installed bombs and also motion sensors in every single class in the entire school and also somehow buried a whole bunch of landmines out in the court yard is just so absurdly over the top that it's totally ridiculous. And another thing: Blowing up a whole school full of kids is kinda a massive [expletive] deal. If that actually happened it would basically be the next 9/11. Future Diary or not, that is so not the kind of thing you just hop on a bike and drive away from. Plus, even if you somehow do manage to get away, is it really worth it to have to deal with being pretty much the most wanted person in the country for the rest of the game just to maybe kill one person? I gotta think there'd be a much better way of doing that.

I can answer some of this:

1) She is a legitimate terrorist

2) She's not a teenager she;s in her 20's (don;t remember exactly how old)

3) If it makes you feel better she will never wear that outfit again(the explination for why she wore it in the first place probably won;t show up in the anime though).

4) ...well your right that her plan was absurd. But remember that her goal was moreso to lure out the 4th rather than kill Yuki and Yuno so she needed something to lure him out...albiet she could have found a less cruel method.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:05 pm Reply with quote
The 3rd episode slowed down things which was good. Yukki and Yuno's date was funny. He is starting to realize she is an actual girl lol. But wtf I did not realize Yuno had such a large rack. With clothes on it looks like your typical middle school sized chest, but in the pool it seemed like a college/adult girls chest.

The end of the episode was great. spoiler[I wonder what those things were in Yuno's house. They looked like reapers or something like that. The way Yuno was looking through the mail flap of the door was so yandere like.]
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Yuno is one crazy chick
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 16