• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mirai Nikki (Future Diary) (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:40 pm Reply with quote
gingerninja666 wrote:
and that was part of the problem.

Something like Death Note is a fun story because both of the main characters are on the same tier of intelligence. In Mirai Nikki it's kinda shown that Yuno is far more competent than ANY of the other diary holders. So it's kinda annoying to watch if you want the other characters to make a good showing as well.

Well to be fair, she spoiler[won the game in the first world. So of course she would be even more powerful in the 2nd world since she knows everything. Plus it wasn't like she breezed through everything. If I remember correctly Yuki saved her during the blind girl arc.]
gingerninja666

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:51 pm Reply with quote
One thing. Justifications rarely work when a story is trying to be entertaining. You can explain anything. Doesn't make it fun to watch.

I know exactly why she's better than everyone else, and I found it insulting. It pretty much boils the other, interesting looking characters down to jokes. Especially the guy with the Watcher diary, who I'd been waiting for the entire series to see in action.

And Generally, Yuki is always the reason she DOESN'T win instantly. Which is lame as hell to the other contestants.
Noctis313

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:51 pm Reply with quote
what they couldve have done with 10 seconds more on episode 26 they did with a 30 min ova lol. But i enjoyed watching mirai nikki again, even if the ova didn't bring any survival game
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:30 pm Reply with quote
gingerninja666 wrote:

I know exactly why she's better than everyone else, and I found it insulting. It pretty much boils the other, interesting looking characters down to jokes. Especially the guy with the Watcher diary, who I'd been waiting for the entire series to see in action.

No, it makes them into people and her spoiler[into a god] which is the premise, I think. Want to know my favorite part of Future Diary? spoiler[When one Diary User helps another Diary User in the Third world not because she thought it would be the right thing to do but because she couldn't take any more pain and it just goes and goes and goes, passing along positive karma to each Diary User but never reaches Yuno because it can't.].

Oh and the Third but he was always a lost cause. Total serial killer.
Gatherum

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:11 pm Reply with quote
That's the thing, mate: this entire series is basically carried by Yuno. If you're not at the edge of your seat, waiting for her to massacre everybody, you're experiencing the immense feels during her endgame, when spoiler[her tragic history as a horribly abused child is punctuated by nothing short of her own sacrificial suicide]. The entire survival game, as well as its contestants, may well have been meant only to be the supportive elements that made those moments possible, and to be little else.

With that in mind, this is something of a hit-and-miss kind of show. One might be able to appreciate Yukiteru for ballsing up a tad, despite it taking him way too long to do so, but Yuno is the undisputed star and queen of the yandere here; if you find that Yuno alone doesn't make the series for you (and you are certainly not wrong to feel that way), I can see where you would find quite a few problems with it. Such is why even I, much as I loved it for Yuno, only rated it an 8 out of 10. If they had put forth more development into the survival game itself, I probably would have elevated it to masterpiece status.
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Another stupid thing about this show. It's not a "Survival Game". It's the "EVERYONE ATTACK THE MAIN CHARACTERS" game. Seriously. In another survival tournament anime called Konjiki no Gash Bell (Zatch Bell), there was a lot of variety between which person defeated who. In Future Diary, I'm pretty sure EVERY SINGLE diary owner was taken out by either Yuki or Yuno. Did I miss one that wasn't? I mean seriously.
Bango

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:18 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
Another stupid thing about this show. It's not a "Survival Game". It's the "EVERYONE ATTACK THE MAIN CHARACTERS" game. Seriously. In another survival tournament anime called Konjiki no Gash Bell (Zatch Bell), there was a lot of variety between which person defeated who. In Future Diary, I'm pretty sure EVERY SINGLE diary owner was taken out by either Yuki or Yuno. Did I miss one that wasn't? I mean seriously.

That "Mortal Kombat Is Not A Tournament" video on College Humor comes to mind. This is actually a beef I have with a few tournament and survival game things. A much richer world and story comes from having conflicts between ALL unallied groups.
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:24 am Reply with quote
Bango wrote:
louis6578 wrote:

That "Mortal Kombat Is Not A Tournament" video on College Humor comes to mind. This is actually a beef I have with a few tournament and survival game things. A much richer world and story comes from having conflicts between ALL unallied groups.

Honestly. The worst part. This game didn't have to happen in the first place. Deus said Yukiteru was his favorite. Why not just make him God?
Divineking

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:28 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:

It's true they defeated pretty much all the diary holders but to be fair not all of them were after Yuki and Yuno specifically.

Ninth was originally going after Third but switched to Yuki after he killed him and was really just trying to lure out Fourth.

Twelfth was just out to kill sixth and only fought Yuno because she was in the way.
Tenth was out to kill Akise and Yuki only got targeted later on cause he revealed he was a diary holder.

And Eleventh was pretty clearly after everyone. I agree the survival game stuff wasn't done as well as it could have but it wasn't totally centered around the MCs.
Bango

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:46 am Reply with quote
It's moreso about the writers feeling the need to involve the main characters in every conflict. Even action shows often divide into self-contained faction battles or side characters getting their own duel with a guy the MC never even deals with. But here they had to make the two involved in pretty much every scuffle.

From a writing standpoint it was everyone vs. the MCs which got kind of stupid.
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:50 am Reply with quote
Worst part? I CAN WRITE A BETTER STORY THAN THIS! When I watch anime, I expect a feeling of "whoa!" and "Didn't see that coming! That was brilliant!"

Lets see a few things wrong with involving the main characters in every conflict. For one... they're NOT likable. Yuno, sure. She's cool at first, but she's a one note character. If they gave her some redeeming qualities outside of Yuki, I'd have liked her. I expected her to actually develop some sort of relationship with 5th. Like a big sister. Sure. That'd be cliche, but it'd show that she has an opened heart for more than just a one-sided obsessive crush. Plus it'd add depth to both characters. Most people I met who like Yuno just like her because they fetishize about Yanderes (psychotically obsessive characters over love). I'm sure there are others that like her for other reasons, but I can't think of any.

And Yuki... how could we improve him? Well, you know how he's a loser with no motivation and just wants to survive, but ends up doing terribly amoral things to win in the end? Why not just have him start off as a morally grey character to begin with. If I were rewriting this anime, I'd make Yuki's personality less like Shinji Ikari and more like Light Yagami or Lelouch Vi Britannia. Look at how Light and Lelouch accomplish their goals. More specifically, look at Lelouch. He had friends and a sister to protect while also killing anyone who stood in his way. Yuki could've been a badass anti-hero with this premise if he wanted to become a "god of the New World" and if he was a super evil genius. Yeah, it'd be a bit similar to Light and Lelouch, but if you ask me it's a welcome ripoff. Like how most Shounen anime take things from DBZ or most mechas take things from Gundam and NGE.

Finally, with this sort of change on their personalities, my biggest problem with Yuki is that his relationship with Yuno was genuine in the end. Why?! She made him kill his friends and then they have sex!? Lets look at the relationship between Lelouch and Rolo or Light and Misa. One was using the other, but unlike Yuki with Yuno, they looked badass and cool doing it. You still wanted to root for them even though they were being jerks. It was all part of their evil plan rather than just a desperate attempt to cling to survival.

Seriously, if Yuki was a Light Yagami archetype, I wouldn't mind that the story focused too much on making them the center of attention. But instead Yuno is the driving force even though she has no personality.
louis6578

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Sorry to bump this, but Funimation just released the first four dubbed episodes. I have to admit they're doing great! In my opinion, it's far better than the original. Any other opinions?
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:18 pm Reply with quote
kinda meh on this dub. Josh and Brina are talented but they make Yuno and Yukiteru sound like the are in High school and not like 2nd year middle school kids.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:43 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
kinda meh on this dub. Josh and Brina are talented but they make Yuno and Yukiteru sound like the are in High school and not like 2nd year middle school kids.

Well Yuno sounded like a high schooler to me in the sub version.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:01 pm Reply with quote
I really don't know what the problem is. maybe I need more than 4 episodes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 16