• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya DVD 4

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:31 am Reply with quote
what no mention of the lucky star license trailer on the dvd?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
oriana3k

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:47 am Reply with quote
It's there. Two thirds of the way through the second to last paragraph.
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:09 am Reply with quote
After the murder mystery episodes that were a step down IMO when compared to the quality of the other episodes that were nothing short of entertaining and original, the first two episodes in this volume restored my love for the series and made Haruhi and Kyon two of my favorite leading characters in an anime.

I especially liked the style and direction of ep 12 -spoiler[the scene when Haruhi out of no where delivered a kick to the leader of the computer club] went down as one of my favorite funny scenes in an anime and was surprised when I found out that the script for that episode was written by Gatou Shoji, the creator and author of Full Metal Panic, that might've explained the war theme of that episode.

The final episode and how nothing special happned in it left me wanting more of the series, can't wait until the second season is released and hope that someone would license the light novels.
W-General

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:17 am Reply with quote
Bring on season 2!!!

I agree that several re-watches is required to catch ALL the small background details and references in the school festival episode.
e.g.
spoiler[
Haruhi in bunny-suit running into the ENOZ members arguing.
Haruhi and Yuki running down the hallway carrying guitars
Koizumi reciting lines from Rosencrantz and Guildenstern is Dead
Kyon looking at a girl sleeping at a desk in a room with Hangul characters on the window - a reference to the scene from the live-action girl band movie Linda Linda Linda.
Actually, the entire concert scene pays its homage to Linda Linda Linda.
]

The list goes on and on. I probably watched the entire episode 4~5 times to catch all the details, and I never get bored whenever I watch it because I always find something new to appreciate.

I was thoroughly impressed with the extras - especially the ASOS-brigade #11 which has a short message from all the japanese seiyuu. Judging from their clothing, it looks like it was filmed right before the "Suzumiya Haruhi no Gekisou" concert in March this year. Aya-chan has her "Did you cum twice" Engrish t-shirt Rolling Eyes Sugita Tomokazu (Kyon) is absolutely hilarious, and so is Ono Daisuke (Koizumi).
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:04 am Reply with quote
I loved the entire series all the way through. Episode 6 is actually a better ending than episode 14. The concert scene is one of my favorites and it never seems to leave my head...... Seriously..... Anyway, I have all the LE's now. Lovin' it.
Vortextk

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:29 am Reply with quote
Of course it's a better ending. That's why the studio had it end the show instead of ep 14. I still wonder why they put it out in chronological order(even in japan). The odd episode order is half of the show. I've always felt you missed a little something if the first time you see it is not in airing order.

Last edited by Vortextk on Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:03 pm Reply with quote
I just finished watching this series with my wife. I had originally watched the first 6 or 7 episodes fansubbed, in broadcast order, but opted to wait for the DVDs to finish the series.

Although I didn't see it through to the end in broadcast order, I agree with the general sentiment that broadcast order is better. The DVDs ended with no sense of closure, and the order in which Haruhi's true nature is hinted at and unveiled in the broadcast version is much better.

I think we will rewatch the entire series in broadcast order in a little while, after giving the series a bit of time to fade in our memories, perhaps a month or two.

-t
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:59 pm Reply with quote
To say that Wendee Lee can match Aya Hirano on the songs in "Live A Live" is absurd. It's unfathomable that somebody listening to both versions could equat the two. True, Wendee Lee does better than expected, but Hirano has singing talent, and Lee doesn't, and it's obvious. This is why Japanese studios often hire people who can not only voice act, but sing as well - it creates more product for them in the form of character singles and the like.

Anyway, while I prefer the broadcast order, which is framed better by the ending as the last chapter of the first novel, I don't much the "Someday in the Rain" ending, especially since it's a nice quiet cap on the normally bustling SOS Brigade business and had that interesting character interaction between Kyon and Haruhi at the end.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:56 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
To say that Wendee Lee can match Aya Hirano on the songs in "Live A Live" is absurd. It's unfathomable that somebody listening to both versions could equat the two. True, Wendee Lee does better than expected, but Hirano has singing talent, and Lee doesn't, and it's obvious.

And I'd argue that it's absurd to claim that Wendee Lee's effort is not in the same league as Aya's. (She's a respectable singer, but to call her a great one would be a stretch.) I played that scene through 3-4 times each way and could not tell much of a difference, so you must be hearing something that I'm not.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:55 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
To say that Wendee Lee can match Aya Hirano on the songs in "Live A Live" is absurd. It's unfathomable that somebody listening to both versions could equat the two. True, Wendee Lee does better than expected, but Hirano has singing talent, and Lee doesn't, and it's obvious.

And I'd argue that it's absurd to claim that Wendee Lee's effort is not in the same league as Aya's. (She's a respectable singer, but to call her a great one would be a stretch.) I played that scene through 3-4 times each way and could not tell much of a difference, so you must be hearing something that I'm not.

You must have a tin ear, because the difference is clear. I'm not saying Aya Hirano is a spectacular singer, but to put Wendee Lee at the same level as a professional singer is ludicrious. She just doesn't have the vocals. She's trying too hard to be "the other version" singer. It doesn't sound natural at all. Lee is a talented voice actress, but that's it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
nuaythebest

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:17 am Reply with quote
Well , Haruhi supposed to be a rookie singer in that scene. She only practice for those songs for only an hour. I think Mrs. lee did ok for what the character supposed to be and I think Hirano version is ok too. Everybody have their own opinion which doesn't need to be the same as you.
shanachan666

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:48 am Reply with quote
yes when wil the light novels be released
HellKorn

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:06 pm Reply with quote
shanachan666 wrote:
yes when wil the light novels be released

Whenever a company licenses them.

As for why they aren't yet licensed: either Kadokawa is still shopping around or the price is unjustifiably high.

It is important to note that light novels haven't actually been flying off the shelves over here, so those that would otherwise license the Haruhi Suzumiya novels are obviously hesitant to do so.
indrik

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Side note: The "space battle" theme from the video game episode was the recurring theme from the first movement of Shostakovich 7, the one that Bartok makes fun of in the Concerto for Orchestra. It's really funny that they used it as a video game theme looping over and over, because the first movement of the symphony is just that theme played over and over again for 15 minutes, getting louder and adding more instruments. It's said to represent the forces of oppression, whether the Nazis laying siege to Stalingrad, or Stalin himself, or both, depending on whom you believe.

After they figure out what's going on, the music starts in on the last movement of Tchaikovsky 4, I think. It might have been 5, I don't remember, but it was one or the other. Someone will know. Anyway, either one of them would be funny, because the beginning of the 4th is about fate, and the last movement is joy in the face of fate, while the 5th is often interpreted as triumph over fate.

The times this series has pulled up classical music, the selections have been unusually astute. I approve.
W-General

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:37 pm Reply with quote
indrik wrote:
Side note: The "space battle" theme from the video game episode was the recurring theme from the first movement of Shostakovich 7, the one that Bartok makes fun of in the Concerto for Orchestra. It's really funny that they used it as a video game theme looping over and over, because the first movement of the symphony is just that theme played over and over again for 15 minutes, getting louder and adding more instruments. It's said to represent the forces of oppression, whether the Nazis laying siege to Stalingrad, or Stalin himself, or both, depending on whom you believe.

After they figure out what's going on, the music starts in on the last movement of Tchaikovsky 4, I think. It might have been 5, I don't remember, but it was one or the other. Someone will know. Anyway, either one of them would be funny, because the beginning of the 4th is about fate, and the last movement is joy in the face of fate, while the 5th is often interpreted as triumph over fate.

The times this series has pulled up classical music, the selections have been unusually astute. I approve.

Speaking of music, then surely you have noted that they used Gustav Mahler's Symphony No. 8 "Symphony of a Thousand" in The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi VI (last episode of broadcast order) and the lyrics of choral part actually match up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2