• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hell Girl - questions after vol 1 viewing (no spoilers!)

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xanas

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Ok, I recently bought the first volume of this. I have to say it's somewhat interesting. However, it's a bit episodic and I'm not sure if I enjoy it enough to keep watching after the first volume unless it's "going somewhere." While I see some hints of possibility I'm not sure if they will actually do anything with those hinted areas. The problem I've had thus far is the somewhat formulaic nature of the episodes/ending. It's a lot of reused content that isn't terrible but isn't exactly interesting. The way people die is a little less dramatic than I'm used to, lol, I guess this is an admission I like good old-fashioned fighting/blood/etc.

Anyhow, any "vague" opinions that at least give me an idea it's going somewhere and isn't totally episodic will probably make me buy at least one other dvd. I hate to stop purchasing at volume 1 when I don't hate what I've seen by any means, but for the price it's kind of hard to validate without something to back it up.
NocturnalUX

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Well, the episodic format is more or less a trademark of the entire series. However, both seasons develop an overreaching plot, even if it takes some time for it to kick in. In case you are curious about Enma Ai's background and her exact nature, the later episodes cover that and are loaded with drama.
Xanas

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Episodic is not bad, but your words are mostly reassuring on the subject of the show. I think I will take a wait and see approach and at least get one more dvd of it. Thanks for the response.
jetz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:35 pm Reply with quote
I also thought that the episodes were formulaic at first, but it'll be more interesting after a few episodes. There will be new characters soon, and like NocturnalUX said, you'll learn more about Enma Ai in the later episodes.

Just don't marathon it. I tried doing that and it got boring at times, since the episodes are all kinda similar.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:20 am Reply with quote
jetz wrote:

Just don't marathon it. I tried doing that and it got boring at times, since the episodes are all kinda similar.

I haven't seen past the 1st volume, but I can definitely see what you meen by not marathoning it. The episodes get repetitive back-to-back just with the 1st 5. This is definitely a series I'd want to watch maybe one episode every few days or so. Just so the formulaic structure doesn't get aggravating. I too find this series to be pretty interesting with good concepts. The individual stories are written well and it did send some shivers up my spine at certain areas, like the episode with the a--hole vet, and I wanted to personally strangle that bi-atch in the 1st episode Mad .
But nonetheless, I'm glad to hear that it eventually offers more than what this volume shows.
d.yaro

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
I think I will take a wait and see approach and at least get one more dvd of it.

By my calculation the introduction of two characters who will drive the story towards its climax should make their first appearances in the second DVD volume. The degree with which they are integrated into the single case episodes varies until the series wraps up its loose ends.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:47 pm Reply with quote
I love Hell Girl, but it is a bit episodic. The first season is fairly consistent, but I think there was a point to it. When the new characters come in with volume 2 of Funimation's release, I think they add more than enough to keep the show strong. Of course, individual opinions will vary on how much they contribute, but I think they add a lot.

The second season is less episodic since it gives more backstory for the various characters and mixes up the outcomes of the cases a little bit more. I hope Funimation will license it too.
Xanas

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Awesome, I'm looking forward to it for my next purchasing cycle (lots of things including it come out on the 4th of December, hopefully best buy will be good and have them. The SKU (a best buy employee told me the trick is that their online-only stuff has a 1 at the beginning) would seem to indicate I have fair chances of them at least having some of it at my local store. They've been about 75/25 in the past, so I'm sure something won't be there but I'll be looking for it.
jetz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:56 pm Reply with quote
the Rancorous, I agree. That girl in the first episode was so irritating. She really deserved going to hell Twisted Evil

Richard J, so the second season is better? I haven't seen it yet.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:40 pm Reply with quote
jetz wrote:
Before I stopped watching fansubs, I watched about half of it. The stories were darker, there were more twists to the end of cases, and you learned the origins of all of Ai's helpers. I enjoyed the first season a lot, but I liked the second even more. I only stopped when I did because Funimation licensed the first season and shortly after that I discovered that me watching a fansub seems to curse the R1 release. Shocked
jetz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:15 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
jetz wrote:
Before I stopped watching fansubs, I watched about half of it. The stories were darker, there were more twists to the end of cases, and you learned the origins of all of Ai's helpers. I enjoyed the first season a lot, but I liked the second even more. I only stopped when I did because Funimation licensed the first season and shortly after that I discovered that me watching a fansub seems to curse the R1 release. Shocked

I was also curious about Ai's helpers (I think their names are Wanyuudo, Hone Onna, and Ren). I don't think their names were even mentioned until after the middle part (it's either that or I probably didn't notice it).
Whoomp

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:25 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the info, I just finished watching the dvd yesterday but it wasn't until ep.5 that it started to give hints about something different. The thing that stucked me though is that stupid girl with her dog, why did she rip the string? It seems a little stupid to put herself trough eternal punishment for a dog.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Whoomp wrote:
The thing that stucked me though is that stupid girl with her dog, why did she rip the string? It seems a little stupid to put herself trough eternal punishment for a dog.

She had lost her parents and her dog was all she had. Plus, that vet was a dispiccable person. He disregarded people's beloved pets to make plans to go golfing and to suck up to the rich snobs. He caused pain and sufferring to a lot more than just that one girl.

jetz wrote:
the Rancorous, I agree. That girl in the first episode was so irritating. She really deserved going to hell

irritating? She was downright cruel! Every now and then a character comes along that I truly despise, and she (as well as that baseball jock) was one of them. I mean, a cruel, evil villain I can like in the good-villain department, but that girl... gah! All around hateable.
kripton0x

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Well, the first chapters are kept in the same line and can be a bit boring, but the final chapters where they are started revealing of secrets of the Hell's girl, are very interesting and it is worth seeing them.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:05 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
jetz wrote:

Really now? The second season is superior, you say? Well then, I'd really like to see the second season for myself.

The first season was definitely interesting, but it ended up being a bit too repetitive for me and I wasn't particularly pleased with its second half either (the final few episodes especially). While being able to see such ugly people get sent to hell for various reasons managed to keep me interested for the entire 26 episode run, in the end the first season was pretty unsatisfying.

Still, jetz is certainly right. Don't marathon it! I made that mistake and it probably is a big reason why I didn't like the series as much as I'd hoped I would. I actually had the series rated at "Excellent" through thirteen episodes, but it had dropped down two pegs to "Good" once I had finished.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2