• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Osamu Tezuka

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gigi21

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:59 pm Reply with quote
My friend gave me Osamu Tezuka's Black Jack recently and I became a huge fan. Does anyone like Tezuka?
I cannot believe he is dead already!!!

Today I found Osamu Tezuka's motion manga in Barnes and Noble website. It is like Anime, though it's a manga. Check it out Shocked ! ---just google Osamu Tezuka and motion manga to find it.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:02 am Reply with quote
Umm, welcome to the world of Tezuka Osamu. He's been dead since the 80s, but we'll let that slide. Anyways, his manga has inspired and entertained generations of manga fans, but glad to know you're in for the ride.
gigi21

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:17 am Reply with quote
Thank you. If you have any recommendations, lemme know.
I so far read Black Jack, Budda and a few books of Phoenix. Very Happy
Not a Jellyfish

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:00 am Reply with quote
Welcome to ANN! It's great to see that there are people of the newer generation of anime fans who can still appreciate Osamu Tezuka. It is extremely unfortunate that he died in 1989, but he gave the world some wonderful works of art. I'd actually recommend ANY Tezuka title. He has no works published here that are bad. Some may not be as good as others, but they are all still excellent. Check out Dororo and Ode to Kirihito as well if you want some seriously awesome Tezuka reading.
Highway Star

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Tezuka is incredible. As Not A Jellyfish said, you really should read everything he has ever created. Give Buddha a try next.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
smoochy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Dororo is a good read but I feel like it gets special treatment just because it's a Tezuka manga. It's certainly a good manga but it's not up there with his greats, the story moves very quickly and ends without much of a real conclusion. I'd second picking up Ode to Kirihito and tell you to get MW and, if it's not one of the volumes of Phoenix you've read, pick up Future. You will not regret it, it's possibly the greatest Tezuka work available in English.
Mylene

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Not a Jellyfish wrote:
Some may not be as good as others, but they are all still excellent.

I would agree with that statement based on the little Tezuka I've read, if it weren't for Metropolis. Cool idea or not, that was definitely not excellent in my book. Quite the disappointment after reading the wonderful Buddha series. That's not to say it wasn't an interesting idea, but the execution just felt like an absolute mess to me. Perhaps I'm in the minority with that opinion though...
taster of pork

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:42 pm Reply with quote
I haven't read or watched that many of Tezuka's work. I've watched Black Jack and it was good. Recently I read Apollo's Song and I loved it. Some parts of it actually made me shed a tear Sad
smoochy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:08 am Reply with quote
Mylene wrote:
Not a Jellyfish wrote:
Some may not be as good as others, but they are all still excellent.

I would agree with that statement based on the little Tezuka I've read, if it weren't for Metropolis. Cool idea or not, that was definitely not excellent in my book. Quite the disappointment after reading the wonderful Buddha series. That's not to say it wasn't an interesting idea, but the execution just felt like an absolute mess to me. Perhaps I'm in the minority with that opinion though...

No, I'm pretty sure you're not. The whole early sci-fi three that Dark Horse put out, Metropolis, Lost World, and Next World are all pretty mediocre works.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1