Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyopop to Ship Gothic & Lolita Bible in February




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
minakichan



Joined: 12 Nov 2003
Posts: 1069

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:25 pm Reply with quote
...Really?

Is this really going to be successful? I mean, there's a GosuLoli following in the West, I'm sure, but it can't be very big, right? It's a niche of a niche.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Horitsuba



Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 35

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Yay!

I've been waiting for this announcement for awhile. Anime hyper
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hon'ya-chan



Joined: 31 Jul 2007
Posts: 973

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Tokyopop reiterated its plans to translate material from the Japanese version of the periodical as well as add new material about this Victorian-inspired lifestyle in America.


Translation: We need another way to whore out Princess Ai and make her legit as a form of Gothic Lolita to the Hot Topic masses.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Unholy_Nny



Joined: 22 Jun 2005
Posts: 622

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Yay!

Maybe...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
kokuryu



Joined: 07 Apr 2007
Posts: 915

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Cool! I know plenty of young goth girls who are dying for a magazine like this - I think Tokyopop has a winner here beyond their wildest dreams!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
aluria



Joined: 11 Nov 2005
Posts: 367
Location: New Westminster, B.C., Canada

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:21 pm Reply with quote
I think this magazine has a chance. The big mall for British Columbia, Metrotown has a Lolita store in it. And I know quite a few people in the area who dress the style.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
crescendoll



Joined: 22 Dec 2004
Posts: 60

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:26 pm Reply with quote
I really hope Tokyopop doesn't botch this; it would be such a shame. A localized version of G&LB has such potential. I'm anxious to see what they come up with...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
midorihebi



Joined: 24 Oct 2006
Posts: 26
Location: Los Angeles, CA

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
Translation: We need another way to whore out Princess Ai and make her legit as a form of Gothic Lolita to the Hot Topic masses.


I asked the associate editor of the GLB, and she said that she thinks Princess Ai was only mentioned once in one of the articles, and that was because the article was about manga.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Hon'ya-chan



Joined: 31 Jul 2007
Posts: 973

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:38 pm Reply with quote
midorihebi wrote:
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
Translation: We need another way to whore out Princess Ai and make her legit as a form of Gothic Lolita to the Hot Topic masses.


I asked the associate editor of the GLB, and she said that she thinks Princess Ai was only mentioned once in one of the articles, and that was because the article was about manga.


Doesn't mean jack ****. For all we know, TP could mess it up later on down the road. And DJ Milky is hell-bent on giving his pet project as much exposure as possible.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CatzCradle



Joined: 25 Apr 2007
Posts: 214
Location: Canada

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I think this magazine has a chance. The big mall for British Columbia, Metrotown has a Lolita store in it. And I know quite a few people in the area who dress the style.


Do you mean Westmend? I know one gothloli person going as far as dressing in Baby, the Stars Shine Bright clothes everyday at school. Razz

edit: phrasing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kimyo



Joined: 31 May 2005
Posts: 101
Location: In my own world.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:34 am Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
Quote:
Tokyopop reiterated its plans to translate material from the Japanese version of the periodical as well as add new material about this Victorian-inspired lifestyle in America.


Translation: We need another way to whore out Princess Ai and make her legit as a form of Gothic Lolita to the Hot Topic masses.


I was thinking of getting a subscription to the Japanese one. This would save me a hassle! But I hope they don't Americanize it too much-- I want to see genuine Goth Lolis, not mainstream pandering, and certainly not Princess Ai!

Have I read Princess Ai? No. But having it shoved in my face is so unappealing. Just give me my goth-loli and yaoi and save your mainstream crap for someone else!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Angel_White_Wings



Joined: 22 May 2005
Posts: 40
Location: Up Above

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Instead of Westernizing it, wouldn't this be a similar example of NewType? I'm sure it will be a lot of the original junk. :3

By the way, does anyone know the exact day in February of next year it will be out? I don't see it listed in the release section.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
midorihebi



Joined: 24 Oct 2006
Posts: 26
Location: Los Angeles, CA

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Angel_White_Wings wrote:
By the way, does anyone know the exact day in February of next year it will be out? I don't see it listed in the release section.


February 12, 2008 is the current release date.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
VentureExplicitIdeas



Joined: 14 Jan 2008
Posts: 1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Well, isn't that wonderful? Now, all sorts of people will buy the magazine, think, "awww, that's cute!" Then, start buying and dressing like what they see and say, "awww aren't I cute?"

It's going to lose it's roots in Japanese culture and all meaning behind it because a vast number of stupid girls and even boys will turn it into the newest conformist trend of America.

Or, if we're all lucky, it will keep it's obscurity because no one knows what kind of impact the magazine will have on everyone.. cross your fingers, spit in your hat.


that's my two cents anyway.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group