• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
State of the Manga Industry

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oronae

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
TP is also looking to continue taking advantage of readers' interest in their best-selling titles by creating more hard-cover, collectors' and other premium editions. And they are interested in rescuing more titles that other publishers had previously brought out parts of but have since allowed to stay dormant.

Narutaru please. Preferably without censorship but I'd be happy just to be able to get a complete set. Oh, and they can bring out some of Mohiro Kitoh's other stuff like Bokurano and Wings Of Vendemiaire while they're at it.
velocet

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:33 am Reply with quote
Much as I'd give organs to see the rest of Narutaru (or any of Kitoh's works) in English, I'm not sure I'd be entirely thrilled with Tokyopop at the helm. Still, they don't seem to have much interest in the seinen market, and even let Del Rey take Parasyte off their hands, so it doesn't seem terribly likely that Narutaru would be a title they'd be interested in.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Very interesting.

Now I'm somewhat of a purist when it comes to calling only Japanese books manga. I don't think US published originals are any better or worse. They're just different. They're published differently and have different audiences. I want US published originals to be accepted. I was reading American comics before I got into Japanese ones. I remember when Japanese books were looked down upon by the majority of comic readers and now the tables are turned.

I do see talk of the comic anthology, like how manga is first published in Japan. I've yet to see a success outside of Shonen Jump or Shojo Beat and even that's not really mainstream like it is in Japan. I wish them luck, as I love comics both Japanese and elsewhere. Yet I'm worried that they're relying too much on the manga stamp and fandom.

Then there's the very interesting talk about controversy over content bringing troubles for the manga and comic market. Personally, I wonder if lolicon is the one to do it. If anything, I've been saying shonen ai and yaoi will be the trigger. The homophobia in this country is very strong in some areas. If someone right wing activist like Jack Thompson finds out their kid's reading the stuff, the s--- will hit the fan for manga like it has for video games. Though hopefully fans as well as gay rights activists can help fight such stupidity.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1