• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragonball Live-Action Film Casts Jamie Chung as Chi Chi

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
subaru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:15 pm Reply with quote
honestly, no matter who is doing it......... hollywood, japan......... its going to be a joke. For those of you DBZ fans putting ur expectation too high, you'll be disappointed soooo badly for sure.

I'd still watch it though. Just for the laugh factor Laughing

a non-asian actor to play Goku........ disappointed, but that was expected. They can't possibly cast Chow Yun Fat, Jet Li or Jacky Chan as Goku, right?! And you think hollywood would really cast a no-name (in western countries) to play the male lead...... nooooo way~
balmno

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:15 pm Reply with quote
I hope it's not going to be as bad as the live action version of Death Note or Nana.

They should really try to focus on what the hardcore anime fans will think of it, instead of trying to pull new viewers into the series or trying to make it too family oriented.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Death Note wasn't family oriented at all.
balmno

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:56 pm Reply with quote
I didn't mean that Death Note and Nana were family oriented. I just wanted to say that I hope they focus more on what the fans will think of the movie, and not what new viewers will think of it.

DBZ is kinda old, so they should just focus on what we (the DBZ and anime fans) want to see.
babbo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Ichigo XL wrote:
somedude 1111 said:

Quote:
The only thing that will save it, will be a healthy balance of anime and Hollywood styles. This includes plot, visual effects and actors.

What the hell??? That quote right there is like, the very definition of the word "oxymoron". Is this guy some hollywood schill or something??

babbo said:

Quote:
the director producer ( Stephen chow) is a product of chinese cinema. Why not bash him or Chinese cinema as well? They both will undoubtedly have some kind of influence in the production of the movie <.<

Yeah, what we REALLY need is some craptacular hollywood take on a classic manga/anime, with wu-xia elements thrown in....that'll make it better...

Well at least you're willing to Anime hyper

Most people fan worship chow too much to do anything besides the hate on hollywood thing. I'd question his role mostly on the fact that he's done mostly comedy though <.<

And doesn't DB already have some elements of wu-xia in it in the first place?
jsyxx

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
hey J-Syxx, are you a L.O.N.S. fan?

Yes that is Charlie Brown, and I am a huge LONS fan. I'm pretty surprised anyone in this forum knows who they are. lol

And as you said Hollywood needs to burn.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:12 pm Reply with quote
fighter: Titanic made a lot of money, too, but who still likes it?
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:19 am Reply with quote
balmno wrote:
I didn't mean that Death Note and Nana were family oriented. I just wanted to say that I hope they focus more on what the fans will think of the movie, and not what new viewers will think of it.

DBZ is kinda old, so they should just focus on what we (the DBZ and anime fans) want to see.

Sorry, but thats just unrealistic. If you want "what fans want" go watch one of the DBZ anime movies. Theres quite a few of em. They're not going to spend a hundred thousand dollars to please DBZ fans. They're going to to take DBZ and try and turn it into something that can be marketed to the masses. (eg. Transformers)

If you really think that means you won't enjoy it, well...don't watch it. I mean that honestly and not to be rude or insulting.

They don't make hollywood adaptations for the sake of fans, they make them for hollywood's usual mainstream audience. I would encourage fans to still see if they can enjoy these hollywood versions. They absolutely can be good. However, if you don't it really doesn't make a difference. Its not like a hollywood adaptation somehow "ruins" the original. You can still watch and enjoy it just as much as ever.

(also as much as I hate to agree with GATSU, I thought Transformers kinda sucked. Unlike GATSU however, I accept that that is just my oppinion and not everyone has to share it.)
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:07 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
fighter: Titanic made a lot of money, too, but who still likes it?

I don't but I certainly haven't gone on a hating crusade to try and deter it from even coming out like Transformers.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:03 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Sorry, but thats just unrealistic. If you want "what fans want" go watch one of the DBZ anime movies. Theres quite a few of em. They're not going to spend a hundred thousand dollars to please DBZ fans. They're going to to take DBZ and try and turn it into something that can be marketed to the masses. (eg. Transformers)

Bad comparison. Transformers has a healthy fan base AND at least 2.5 decades worth of exposure. DBZ has what, a decade worth?

Apples to Oranges.
sailorspazz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:19 am Reply with quote
duo05001 wrote:
squirle wrote:
It will be based on the First Dragonball not DBZ. "His nemesis piccolo" sounds more like dragonball to me.

Thats a bad deduction because how is a 25 year old supposed to play a kid. I deffinitly think they will not base it on the original dragonball. I feel safe in saying it will be loosely based on charcters of DBZ and maybe have somthing to do with it. If I had to pick I say it's an entirely diffrent story with the same charcters. But I guess we have to wait and see.

It is going to be Dragonball, not starting from when Gokuu was 12 at the beginning of the series, but when he was 18 near the end of Dragonball (at least, according to the casting call that came out a couple months ago). I think they're starting from this point so they can easily make a sequel based on DBZ since the timeframes would be pretty close together (that is, if the first one turns out all right....)
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:41 am Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:

Bad comparison. Transformers has a healthy fan base AND at least 2.5 decades worth of exposure. DBZ has what, a decade worth?

Apples to Oranges.

Wait. Are you claiming that Transformers tried to appeal to fans of the original Transformers? Where exactly is this "health fanbase" transformers has? My guess would be that they're in their thirties and forties and haven't watched transformers in...as you said, over two decades. Something that kept true to fans of transformers wouldn't even appeal to them nowadays.

Regardless of how much exposure and even if either has an existant fanbase, its never going to be enough to justify the cost of a hollywood movie. To justify that, you will need to appeal to hollywood's usual audience.
kenshinflyer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:57 am Reply with quote
(laughs) Anybody still remember the attempt by Disney to turn Sailormoon into live action?

But, then again, the Chinese did a good job with a non-related but look-alike live Dragonball movie in the 90s.
Gundam Junkie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:18 am Reply with quote
babbo wrote:

You say that, but I question if any studio in any country could actual make an accurate/faithful DB movie (much less a good one). To begin with the director producer ( Stephen chow) is a product of chinese cinema. Why not bash him or Chinese cinema as well? They both will undoubtedly have some kind of influence in the production of the movie <.<

I agree with you, but my main concern is hollywood making an adaptation of a foreign TV series.

I would imagine a Japanese live-action version would be more successful due to the cultural roots of both versions.
America and Japan have very different cultures, despite any similarities they may have.

Incedently, I'm not a Dragonball fan.
I've seen some of it and liked it, but I can't claim on being knowledgable on either Dragonball or the American film industry.
You'll have to ask my brother about that... he's the Dragonball nut AND an amatuer film critic.

Oh, and he's not particulary optimistic about it either.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:15 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken: If they didn't still watch Transformers, then the dvds for the older episodes wouldn't sell.

Anyway, the only anime adaptation I'm looking forward to in '08 is Astro Boy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5