• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Code Geass to Air on America's Adult Swim in Spring

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
youngavatar

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:51 am Reply with quote
Im glade this series coming to the us. it one of my fav show i cant wait for the second season the cliff hanger from the first really makes me want to watch more.
Crescent

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:26 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
does the same Pizza Hut deal carry over to Bandai USA.

Well, it probably will, unless Pizza Hut USA either 1) Doesn't like free advertising (especially among the college-aged, pizza-based diet demographic that makes up a good portion of adult swim's viewers), or 2) For whatever violence-related reason or whatnot doesn't like free advertising from something like Code Geass.
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:54 am Reply with quote
Johnny can be high pitched, like Clause from Last Exile, or in extreme cases, Renton from Eureka Seven, but he can do the deeper voices just fine (Ichigo from Bleach).
LightYagami

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:53 am Reply with quote
I was honestly hoping that they would be able to get Crispin Freeman to play as Lelouch. But JYB voice does not have the commanding presence that lelouch Seiyu has which is one of the things that made Lelouch so awesome.
tobiasender

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:01 am Reply with quote
Veoryn87 wrote:
Johnny can be high pitched, like Clause from Last Exile, or in extreme cases, Renton from Eureka Seven, but he can do the deeper voices just fine (Ichigo from Bleach).

I wouldn't call JYB as Ichigo deep, which is why I was not excited to hear he is playing Leoluch. Him as Ichigo took some getting used to, but I would be amazed if he could pull off a consistantly lower, or if not lower, commanding and arrogant believable tone.

His previous roles have shown some flexibility, but his Ichigo has an almost squeal property to it like Renton and we all know what Vash Sounds like.

I don't doubt he can go lower, I just don't know if I can believe it, JYB's roles have comedic asides, if he can do serious well, it won't matter I suppose.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:31 am Reply with quote
AutoGyro wrote:
RezSav wrote:
This announcement brought to you by Pizza Hut!!!

Ya, that will probably be changed like Geneon did with Lupin the 3rd, Secret of Mamo...

Bah, Pizza Hut should capitalize on it abit. No sense in wasting a unique way to advertise thier wares.

(Yeah yeah, I know i've harped on Transformers product placement before, but seriously, Bay is an advert whore compared to Code Geass.)
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:36 am Reply with quote
kurotsuki wrote:
what about the DVD ?
We don't get CN in Canada so that's not a good news to us !
we want DVD ! Crying or Very sad

Actually, it is good news for us. If it didn't air in the US, chances are very low that it would air in Canada. While this by no means guaruntees it will air on YTV, it is sort of half the battle.

You can pretty much count on a DVD too. The only reason for no Blood+ one is that it is licenced by Sony who don't normally do anime. This is Bandai though so no DVDs would be pretty much inexplicable.

Sakurachan1 wrote:
Ryvius213 wrote:
Awesome! Something tells me it's gonna get stuck at a bad time slot, though...(a la Gundam Seed)

The thing is Ryvius213, Seed was just a lack luster series in the Gundam-verse, sure the time slot it got on AS, didn't help, but neither did the weak production. That said, as a Gundam fan I got where Seed was going, but the casual Anime fan probably didn't want to put the effort into waiting up to see where all 40 eps would take them. That was always the danger with Seed being picked up by Adult Swim, because on many levels I think they were expecting another Gundam Wing, and Seed was so far from that.

I know some people have issues with SEED, but you can't discount the fact that it ran edited down to a TV-Y7 rating and even then didn't begin to do truely terrible until it was basically scrapped and moved to the 1:00 AM timeslot. It aired properly in Canada and it did quite well getting several repeat broadcasts and even the airing of the sequel.
robtf

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:31 am Reply with quote
Goodpenguin wrote:
The opening episodes do feature Japanese suicide bombers screaming 'Nippon Banzai' while they attack the evil Western, Christian invaders. The first episodes are so over-the-top Japanese right-wing fantasy it caught a deal of public heat, and the creative team had to cobble together some ham-handed analogy/semi-apology about how the Western forces really represented Japan, and the afflicted area really represented Korea (yeah..that's the ticket). The heat faded because as someone mentioned, the ultra right-wing stuff fades away (to a large degree) as the series moves on, and it's largely a younger audience centered action/drama.

First episodes? You mean the first episode (note the singular form), right? That's the only one that I remember being heavy on this nationalism you're talking about. But yeah, the show was controversial at that point, even in Japan.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:50 am Reply with quote
About the nationalism: They could just dub "Nippon banzai!" as "Death to the British!"... then Americans could think of it as a War of Independence sort of thing Wink.
Westlo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:12 am Reply with quote
Looks like Bandai are going all out with this release, hopefully people watching it on AS don't react to it like a certain person did in the Code Geass preview on the Fall 06 fansub guide *whistles*

Anyway nice English dub cast, thank god they went with Zero Limit and L.A talent instead of Ocean. Doubt I'll watch the English version on the DVDs (Japanese cast is stellar) but it looks like it will avoid being cringe worthy which will help in keeping an audience on AS.
Westlo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:21 am Reply with quote
Clodus wrote:
i actually wanted Crispin Freeman to play as lelouch

He would've been perfect.
scortia

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Hmm a lot of good voice actors but set in roles they typically aren't typecast as. This could be interesting. I'm almost surprised it's going onto Adult Swim... well, I guess it's not too different from what they've been airing.

... They won't be calling CC "C2" in the dub, will they?
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
Yuri or even Liam would have been a better choice.

Lowenthal as Lelouch was actually the first that popped into my mind when I heard that Animaze will handle the dubbing -judging by his previous roles, he will be able to pull off the arrogance and sophistication about Lelouch's character and will sound more close to the JP seiyuu.

Crispin Freeman will sound a bit too deep for Lelouch, IMO. Now that I think of it, he might make a good Mao.

While there's a slim chance that the cast will change, I hope that those at Bandai will get how displeased the majority of the fans is and recast the roles according to who fits a character the best.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Anime hyper Anime hyper Anime hyper Geass on Adult Swim, Yay! Very Happy This is exactly what I was hoping for! Now I finally have a chance to check this series out after how freaking awesome I hear this series is. Can't Wait!

Although from the sound of it, I'm not too excited about what some of you are saying about the casting job. Sad But I don't know, it could be pretty interesting to see if some of these guys can go out of their typical characters and try newer kinds of roles. We'll see I guess.

Now we just have to hope for Gurren Laggan (yeah, like that'll ever happen Rolling Eyes ) and Darker than Black to get on there as well, one being a series I really want to get into and the other being one I have to finish.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:10 am Reply with quote
xD HA!

Take That, Haruhi!!!
I can laugh at everyone that thought they would put that series on AS.

x_x I'm so glad that it's not. I heard so much about CG that I want to watch it too.

;__; heeey, I like Ocean!

Last edited by tygerchickchibi on Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6