• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bookstore Moves Manga Section after Parent's Complaint

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mlund

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:11 pm Reply with quote
BellosTheMighty wrote:
Are you kidding? If anything, the level of this kind of muckraking went DOWN over the 20th century. Back in the day, William Randolph Hearst was able to drum up a WAR because he wanted to sell papers.

I'm not sure if I'd call it traditional muckraking, though. Normally muckraking involves selling a very specific narrative to create a specific scandal. This caught my eye specifically because the omission could cause a good number of competing "outrages," in an indiscriminate fashion.

I also think there was a time between the 40s and the 70s where there was a huge push in mass media to gain public credibility, followed by another slump into sensationalist info-tainment. The Nightly News used to be put on as a public service loss-leader by the big networks to help justify their Broadcasting Rights. Once there was an expectation that TV news could be a source of advertising revenue (60 Minutes breaking the ceiling in the late 70s) the wheels came off the wagon.

Exhaustive facts and reliable accuracy just aren't all that necessary to achieve success in journalism anymore.

- Marty Lund
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:58 pm Reply with quote
So can anyone actually confirm whether this was actually intentionally stocked in the kids section or just a single copy was moved there by accident?

Though the mother sounds like she is overreacting a lot, its by no means a bad idea to move the Manga section if it is right next to the kids section. It makes it very easy for stuff to accidentally be misplaced like this.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:14 pm Reply with quote
ANBUx3 wrote:
Heh, I found the Slayers novels in the children's section at my Books-A-Million. They also put mature-rated manga with ero-fiction novels in a separate part of the store, but they also stick random volumes of Prince of Tennis and Kingdom Hearts alongside these mature titles.

Well, I know manga is in order by title, and not author or genre.

I think if they place the series by rating then title, that could help out future parents who have kids that want to read manga (and can read).

Can't protect kids from all stuff, though...people take out x-rated/mature stuff out of the plastic, and stick them in not so great places, even if it wasn't in the kid section and put in some other place where a parent and child could be browsing (like travel or cooking), I don't think the situation could be any different...
danbeck

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Okay so there is some nudity. You can see nudity if you go to an art museum. Maybe all art museums should be adult only as well.

How erudite of you to make this stupid argument for the millionth time in human history. "Absolute Boyfriend" is most certainly *not* art and your comparison to nudity in art is ignorant garbage at best. "Absolute Boyfriend" is pulp trash, nothing more. It's just there for a fun read and entertainment, a far cry from actual art.

Why do you people insist on frothing at the mouth and attacking anyone who doesn't want their children exposed to erotic nudity before they are ready to deal with what it means? What gives you the right to force your morals, or lack thereof onto another parent? You that think *YOU* are a better judge of what is good for that child?
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:31 pm Reply with quote
danbeck wrote:

Why do you people insist on frothing at the mouth and attacking anyone who doesn't want their children exposed to erotic nudity before they are ready to deal with what it means? What gives you the right to force your morals, or lack thereof onto another parent? You that think *YOU* are a better judge of what is good for that child?

The same questions could be said back at the parent and yourself. For all we know, she's trying to force her ideals and morals down everyone elses throats and maybe planted the manga as a way to get her 15 minutes of fame.

She's right, everyone else is wrong.
chicogrande

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Damn, this is so stupid! Rolling Eyes

Well, too bad this woman had to run into volume one of "Absolute Boyfriend" and the one cover of this title that could "offend" anyone with a low threshold since the other three covers show fully clothed characters. Here, for the sake of keeping informed, this is the link to the official manga page of this particular title.

Now, the boy ain't nekkid. He ain't wearing a shirt, but dangit, his junk ain't showing. To me, this is a case of her imagination running wild and some repressed urge of hers manifesting itself. Razz

Now, she said she found "a picture of a naked boy in Japanese animation."

Huh? Confused

What animation? You found a book lady, not a DVD! If you are going to overreact and cause a national bookstore to relocate the entire manga section with its EVIL allegedly naked influences avay from the pure, innocent children who'll never, ever see the bare torso of a human being in their lives and grow up with sexual disfunctions unable to carry out a healthy sexual relationship, then please know to differentiate a book with still pictures from a DVD with moving, animated pictures. Mad
Cherry Root

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:59 pm Reply with quote
oh my gawd woman jeez! they shouldn't have to relocate the ENTIRE manga section just because she found ONE book. she's probably some xenophobe that thinks everything from Japan could scar a kid for life!
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:47 pm Reply with quote
danbeck wrote:
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Okay so there is some nudity. You can see nudity if you go to an art museum. Maybe all art museums should be adult only as well.

How erudite of you to make this stupid argument for the millionth time in human history. "Absolute Boyfriend" is most certainly *not* art and your comparison to nudity in art is ignorant garbage at best. "Absolute Boyfriend" is pulp trash, nothing more. It's just there for a fun read and entertainment, a far cry from actual art.

How does this make news?

Overreacting parents are a big problem in America.I dare you to laugh in your lifetime,cause all of this is a big joke.The mother sounds inhuman with a lack of understanding other cultures.If you want to protect your kids don't let them out of the house.She also said animated.Animated?Apparently she never went to school.

It was probably a rogue issue that was separated from it's isle.
otakujohn

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:01 pm Reply with quote
A naked boy in my bookstore?! .... It's more likely than you think.

Now where are them thar intelligent design books at?!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5