• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Step Up Love Story 1 Sub.DVD

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Splitter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:20 am Reply with quote
16+?! Jesus...
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:28 am Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
16+?! Jesus...

Yeah, I'm actually surprised Media Blasters didn't release it in their Kitty Media label. Though given the content, it REALLY walks an extremely thin line between a "full-blown" hentai and sexualized fanservice you sometimes see in some TV anime series. I have to give it props to this series though as it was definitely a good gateway title for me to get into hentai! Laughing
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Its official title may sound drab and forgettable, but mature, hard-core anime fans may be more likely to recognize it under its alternate titles Futari Ecchi and/or Futari H, both of which make much better titles than the one actually used.
Actually to me, it sounds like a diaper marketing slogan, at least the "Step Up" part.

I'm really suspecting that this is one of those "Japanese licensor told us to use this title" situations à la Kimi ga nozomu eien --> Rumbling Hearts.

This was one of the earlier adult anime titles I ever saw; it's pretty likable, if mind-numbingly innocent compared to the average hentai. Unlike traditional hentai, it's big-name VAs in the cast, such as Yuji Ueda and Tomoko Kawakami as the leads. But come on, M-B, you can release 6 sub-only episodes of Simoun on one DVD, and only 2 episodes of this series? This could've easily been a 1-disc release, but I suspect that licensor conditions are in effect.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Hahaha!! That is interesting.

Guess they were trying for a broader audience. But who exactly. Then the price is cheap for the first vol. So they're making up for it when they release the second. It's too tame to be in 'Kitty' media but definitely too "racy" to have the 'Anime Works' label. But I guess "16+" is as close as you get to 17 considering that most titles are a 17(+) to 18(+)(Up) rating. So long as you're not under 16 you can't buy it. I would have set the rating at 17.

Personally, I liked this little feature. I saw it fansubbed awhile back. I was surprised that it was picked up. Compared to all the "wet" and "****" in your face blah...blah...blah...as well as tentacles <shudder> this title is pretty tame. It's more or less "sweet" would be the word. Like 'Elven Bride'. The title 'Step Up Love Story' is part of the official title. Which is kind of interesting. So it's interesting to find out what 'Futari H' really means. The manga version of this is even funnier. Moreso than the OVAs. I'm surprised that 'TP' is bringing that over. Folks should get a look if they're interested. As it features even more antics and interesting characters.

That's probably the only problem with the OVA is the omission of certain characters. But I think they were more like, "you know the book, you know how it goes down so let's do an anime." While it's not like the manga, that's ok. It's still an enjoyable feature for those looking for sex and romance with some slice-of-life comedy thrown in.

*I had predicted there would be a review on this and how right I was. Smile
W-General

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:54 pm Reply with quote
My impression of Futari H (the manga) has always been that it was like half-manga half adult sex ed...

Wouldn't call it "fanservice"...
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:24 pm Reply with quote
W-General wrote:
My impression of Futari H (the manga) has always been that it was like half-manga half adult sex ed...

Wouldn't call it "fanservice"...

That sounds about right. Actually that is right. Hah!
somedude1111

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:27 pm Reply with quote
I saw this a very long time ago. I didn't recognize the name, but while reading the plot note, I couldnt help but feel I had seen something very similar. But in the review it gave the Japanese title, and I knew I had seen it before.

I thought it was cute. I dont generally get into romance type anime(more of a shonen fan), but I did like this. Easy going, not too much drama, just a cute, relaxing show to watch. I have no problem with fanservice or sexual material in anime. And have only seen like 2 hentai movies which were just a little too weird for me. So I dont have much as far as wether it should be marketed as a regular title or a hentai, but it is no where close to the two H(I beleive that is the shortened term for hentai) movies I've seen.

Just as a side question, are there any other titles similar to this. It dosent matter if its regular anime or H.

BTW: this is my first post. I've been reading ANN articles for a few months, but this is my first time on the forums. Thanks
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:39 pm Reply with quote
For some reason, Netflix doesn't have this one..........
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Actually to me, it sounds like a diaper marketing slogan, at least the "Step Up" part.

Ah. Diapers and "love story". Now the name choice makes sense. Evidently they were going for the loli demographic...
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
How Media Blasters got this one by with only a 16+ age rating, instead of the more suiting Mature Audiences rating, is beyond me.

I was more than a little surprised to see this sitting on the shelf at Best Buy.

Quote:
If you want a simply, sexy, surprisingly sweet bit of fan service-laden fun that will not strain your brain (but may strain other choice body parts), and you like generous amounts of highly explicit fan service, then this one may be worth a look.

That's all I expected and wanted, so I'll be happy to get this at the next TRSI MB sale.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:

Ah. Diapers and "love story". Now the name choice makes sense. Evidently they were going for the loli demographic...
Except there is zero, absolutely zero loli content in this OVA, so there's no need to go there.
Mylene

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Unlike traditional hentai, it's big-name VAs in the cast, such as Yuji Ueda and Tomoko Kawakami as the leads.

Now I'll admit, I adore Kawakami Tomoko in many of her roles. Unfortunately, I can't help but think her performance in Futari Ecchi was just plain awful--particularly her sex noises.

I'm looking more forward to the manga being released (it got licensed too, right?) I remember reading a bit of it a couple years ago and finding it really fun, but alas, the anime seemed to suck out all of the humorous parts and just focus entirely on the pervy aspects.

This was my first 'adult' anime, and it will likely be my last. I might still pick it up so I can make fun of it with my husband. Give it the old MST3K treatment.
omnistry

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Hey, if "Sex & the City" can get away with it for an "R"-rated TV show, I don't see why this series can be 16+, and not 18+.

It sounds like it could be a pretty funny show. I'm not saying it sounds like a "run, don't walk to your nearest store to get it." It's more of a "I'm bored, and there's nothing else to watch, so I'll pop in this show to see what it's all about."
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:19 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Except there is zero, absolutely zero loli content in this OVA, so there's no need to go there.

You don't say. Rolling Eyes
It was a joke. Not a particularly good one, I grant you, but a joke nonetheless. And if we can't mock nonces anymore, maybe political correctness really has gone too far...
psygremlin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:20 am Reply with quote
Maybe it's just me being cynical, but given the whole ongoing debate about how the anime companies are struggling yadda yadda yadda, it's it a bit of a slap in face to the consumer to spread a 4 episode OVA over 2 disks?

If that doesn't smack of trying to squeeze the average anime lover for every penny, then what does? Especially for a show as old as Futari Ecchi. (Step Up Love Story???? What ponytail dreamt that little clunker up?)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2